So I'm looking into getting my first ever pedal, and thinking of a cheapish fuzz. Fuzz because I'm into writing/playing stuff like Smashing Pumpkins and Silversun Pickups (mixed perhaps with a modern rock sound). I thought fuzz because I've been playing for a year and a couple of months, and though I'm fair, I'm no Satriani (to be fair, not my style really either). So I've been looking at the Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz, due to my very limited budget (I'm a student at Berkeley, Go Bears!). I've been unable to actually try it out yet, as I've been unable to find it thus far. Haven't been trying all that hard though, papers do take a bit of time.
What other fairly inexpensive fuzzes do you recommend, where can I get them, and for how much? Are there any other tips you have for getting a sound somewhat like the above bands? And would I be better served by getting a different pedal/piece of gear? (please don't tell me a better amp, obviously that's an issue, but not one that'll be solved soon/inexpensively. No job=no tubes)
Thanks!
Gear:
Jasmine ES33C
Hamer Sunburst Archtop Flametop
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Fender Frontman 25R
Boss DS-1.
Can get a few different sounds from it from fuzzy to ballsy distortion.
Very cheap new or pre-owned (Around $30 I believe in Yank currency).

And, they're really easy to mod.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Considering the Big Muff actually, I've got a friend back in SoCal that might eventually be selling his...I'll remember to try it out the next time I head to GC. What's your experience with the pedal?
Gear:
Jasmine ES33C
Fender Frontman 25R
I've got the russian version, although its not on my pedalboard at the mo (no room ) i think they can sound quite awesome with the sustain maxed as well, I tried the american version as well and it was a bit brighter and a bit more noisy i think if my memory serves me well.

The russian version is also another option, quite similar in price, a bit darker and more smoother, worth trying both to be honest.
+1 to big muff.-1 to DS-1.
The big muff needs to worked right to get it to sound good,but when it does....
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
it's very expensive... but my Fuzz Factory will never be leaving my pedal board...
Quote by WtrPlyr
I third the BMP, or maybe the Big muff with tonewicker, it's more versatile.

I agree, I have the pedal and it can do many different sounds and tones.
ok thanks for the tips guys, tried out the big muff at GC and AMAZING think i'll get it...muchas muchas gracias!
Gear:
Jasmine ES33C
Fender Frontman 25R