Hi there,
The guitar is finished, see post 12 for pictures

I always wanted a strat to accompany my les paul. As I got a nice deal on a swamp ash body, I bought a neck to go with it, a nice maple one with a 7.25" radius. I like the feel of those necks and don't mind the high action needed to be able to bend notes.

I decided to go for a natural finish, bot the neck and body are finished with Birchwood Casey Tru-oil. I opted for an open pore look on the body, so I did not fill the pores all the way. The pictures do not show them very well (they were taken with a phone), but both the neck and body are glossy but not too much. I still need to save up some money for pickups and electronics, but otherwise everything is here.

Some parts already bought:
Bridge: Wilkinson vintage tremolo with a steel block (I will block the bridge Clapton style, I don't use trems.
Tuners: Kluson Deluxe
White pickguard, 3 ply

All the knobs etc. will be white.

I want pickups that can handle the traditional strat tone, but I also want it to really scream and soar, any suggestions?

Anyway, here are the body and neck:

Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
Last edited by Octavianus at Dec 24, 2010,
I finished my build about two months ago and I used the Fender Custom shop 69's. They give you the early rock and rock sound and reduces some of the hum. I am very happy with them. You can get a new set around 140 on Amazon or Ebay. I haven't seen them but heard the custom shop 54's are very good also.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
the grain on that body looks quite nice, is it just gonna be natural?

i would stain it imo.

but, nice, nice
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by Octavianus

I want pickups that can handle the traditional strat tone, but I also want it to really scream and soar, any suggestions?

My Hot Texans. They are wound with formvar wire which is what they used in pre CBS strats and gave you smooth bass, scooped mids, and lots of chime and sparkle in the treble. The wire is also a smaller gauge which means I can fit more of it on the pickup giving you more output. The result is something that has the character of a vintage 50's strat but can drive your amp and handle distortion more like a modern pickup so you get t he best of both worlds.

Or you could always mix and match. Lots of people that only use their neck and middle for clean will go with a 62 neck, a CEW middle (which is slightly higher output and a bit fuller sounding), and a Hot Texan bridge.
Not taking any online orders.
^Basically anything this guy makes is good.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by metal-matt
the grain on that body looks quite nice, is it just gonna be natural?

i would stain it imo.

but, nice, nice

Yes, the finish is already on it. You can see some gloss on the sides, but the picks are real bad quality, I know. I already finished both the neck and body with tru-oil, I am just going to let them sit one more week for the oil to really cure before I go to final buffing.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Laney VC-15
You Tube has videos of just about any pickups. Here is one for the 69's. There is also some for the 54's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z3v3A2XQ-k

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
I'll vouch for Cord too. He knows what he's doing, and he's a pleasure to work with.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Nice looking wood. Where did you get it? Does the tight grain on that ash make it a bit heavier ?
Hi!

Sig Retired.
That looks really nice. I'm a recently converted huge fan of Stratocasters. I used to not like them just based on the way they look and the style of music they were known for, not that that's all bad, just not my style. Then, I played one, and it's been down hill from there.

How do you like that Wilkinson bridge? I have a partscaster with a MIM bridge, and I really like it, but I know there are better parts out there. What kind of block did you get?
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
The weight of this guitar is not that big. It has lot's of open pores so it's not heavier than your standard alder body I think.

I chose the wilkinson bridge because of the steel block, most MIM bridges have zinc blocks, which give less sustain.

The neck picture is a bit bad, I will try to get nicer pictures soon.
Gear:
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Laney VC-15
I know it has been a very long time, but I've finally been able to finish this guitar! Here are some pictures:

I put in vintage Kluson Deluxe tuners, Fender '57/'62 pickups, schaller straplocks and a graphtech nut. It sounds awesome, has a very tight low end (the bottom strings sound amazing) and it is not as bright as I thought an ash strat would be (which is a good thing!).

You might notice the bridge is put a bit more forward than normal, leaving a small gap under the birdge. I saw a local luthier do this, basically you can screw the saddles more to the back of the bridge so the strings pull more on the back of the bridge instead of the front. I put in five springs and screwed the bridge flush. Basically putting the bridge forward a bit increases sustain, while still intonating correctly. I used a standard strat body so that's why there is a small gap, the luthier of course custom builds his guitars. I must say I get more sustain from it than from previous strats I've played.

Again, the guitar is finished using Tru-oil, which is a great finish although very soft (there are already plenty of scratches on the guitar, but I don't mind). It also makes for a great feeling neck.
Gear:
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Laney VC-15
Some more pictures:

Gear:
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Laney VC-15