Hey there all people who read this, to all accomplished composers out there i have a simple, but not so simple question
i want to be able to write a shreddage guitar solo in key with some backing chords, so, to accomplish this, what do i have to learn? influences? OK

Dimebag
Kerry King
Marty Friedman
Dave Mustaine
Jeff Hanneman
Ryan Waste

i want to write some awesome shred solos but i don't have the knowledge to make them not sound like a total ballsup, so what should out of these 3 things as starting points, e.g what scales chords or techniques

Scales
Chords
Techniques

i'm an eager heavy metal thrash fan and i am pretty serious when it comes to music, so don't hold back and don't give me a weak short awnser, e.g just learn some scales and muck around, because i want to be able to know right away what chords go behind my solo and how i can extend it using other scales, i want to know the full deal, i'm sure there are plenty of metal, jazz and blues players on here that have written their own stuff, so, lay the full deal on me guys.

TYVMIA
Last edited by ShredHead396 at Sep 24, 2009,
I can tap, alternate pick, do a 1,2,4 or 1,3,4 thing up and down pretty fast, pick slides,pick tapping, squeels with the whammy bar, the diatonic major scale,pentatonic scales, and some slayer and municipal waste

i get a lot of my practice from randomly shredding the fretboard, but i want to change that from random to chris broderick / marty friedman shred ( lol, i know i can't play like these guys but i want to write music still )
Quote by crystaldragon75
why not write your backing chords first, and then the solo?

Because i don't know what chords and scales go together, i want to know how to determin what scales go with what chords and vice versa
Ok, well the first thing to do is start learning material by the artists who inspire you. By learn I also mean study. Learn their music (If you can already shred well then I'm sure you'll already know that you need to work slowly with a metronome to learn accuracy and that speed comes over time), and work out what scales they commonly use, chord progression, accidentals etc. etc. Just tear their music apart theoretically.

So that means nowing some theory. When I asked "what do you already know?" you listed some things that you can play so I'm going to assume that you lack much knowledge of theory.

You listed the diatonic scale, so is that just playing it across the fretboard or do you know how it is constructed? How you form chords from the scale? Do you understand intervals? The major scale and intervals is a good place to start theoretically because the major scale is the basis for the majority of scales in western music and intervals are what make music.

EDIT: OK you answered my question about how much theory you know in the post above this one.

There are some very good articles on this website. "The ultimate guide to guitar" and "the crusade". I would find these and start working through them making sure you understand (and can apply) what is written before moving on. There is also www.musictheory.net.

Have you considered tuition?
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Sep 24, 2009,
^chords are built from scales

there are plenty of lessons that will tell you what you want in the lessons section.

and as for writing a "shred" solo, anaylse what your peers are doing in their solo's. obviously this will become easier if you understand some basic theory (that you will hopefully learn if you go to the lessons section).

Edit: ment for TS above the guy above me.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Sep 24, 2009,
Ok, thanks guys, i appreciate the good awnsers
To Myshadow46_2, i do not use a metronome, i do not know how the diatonic scale is constructed, as of yet i am a more prac guy than a theory nut, and i'm trying to change that so i can have my cake AND eat it
What do you mean the major scale is a good place to start? and i think intervals are a combination of semi tons and tones put together.

Roll with me on this one
Quote by deHufter
First, learn theory so you know what you're doing.

Seems like you're too lazy for that or else you wouldnt ask this question, so here it goes:
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/index.php

Click on a chord and in the left box the scales you can use will appear.

First, i don't need you to come in here and act all high and might about how i seem lazy, you don't even know me, second, thanks for the link
Quote by ShredHead396
First, i don't need you to come in here and act all high and might about how i seem lazy, you don't even know me, second, thanks for the link

No thx.

Sorry dude, but do you really expect us to teach you the whole music theory? Maybe i overreacted with the laziness, my apologies, but i dont see anybody here explain it as perfect and complete as tons and TONS of theorysites on the internet. Start reading now, and you'll know the basic stuff by tomorrow. If you know your fretboard, you'll be able to shred your balls off by tomorrow evening. I think this thread is just a waste of our and your time, no offence.
Quote by deHufter
No thx.

Sorry dude, but do you really expect us to teach you the whole music theory? Maybe i overreacted with the laziness, my apologies, but i dont see anybody here explain it as perfect and complete as tons and TONS of theorysites on the internet. Start reading now, and you'll know the basic stuff by tomorrow. If you know your fretboard, you'll be able to shred your balls off by tomorrow evening. I think this thread is just a waste of our and your time, no offence.

None taken, do you have a link to a site that can teach me this kind of stuff? i know all the notes on the low E and A strings
www.musictheory.net is a great site.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by ShredHead396
To Myshadow46_2, i do not use a metronome, i do not know how the diatonic scale is constructed, as of yet i am a more prac guy than a theory nut, and i'm trying to change that so i can have my cake AND eat it
What do you mean the major scale is a good place to start? and i think intervals are a combination of semi tons and tones put together.

Roll with me on this one

I have reservations that your shredding skills are any good if you've never used a metronome. Get on now (you can google metronome and get one ticking away on your computer) Then make it your partner in crime whenever you sit down to practice.

As for theory:

These are the intervals that make the major scale;

root
major 2nd
major 3rd
perfect 4th
perfect 5th
major 6th
major 7th

This makes the notes in the C major scale; C,D,E,F,G,A,B

Now go and find out what all of the above means. Use google, UG, recommendations from other replies etc etc.

Then come back here an explain what you've learnt.
My advice is learn the 5 positions of the pentatonic scale.
For every key there are 7 chords. 6 not including the diminished.
3 minors and 3 majors.
For each chord you can use the pentatonic scale.
In C major.
C major pentatonic
D minor Pentatonic,
E minor pentatonic,
F major Penatonic,
G major pentatonic,
A minor pentatonic.

Using all these scales in all the positions you have alot of places to go, just memorise them damn well.
Quote by ShredHead396

Roll with me on this one

Wow learn the diatomic scale its not even difficult.....its just another mode of the major scale
Quote by MapOfYourHead
^
there is no such thing as the diatonic scale.

something is diatonic to a scale.

I learnt the Diatonic A major scale
make sense?
Quote by ShredHead396
I learnt the Diatonic A major scale
make sense?

The major scale is a diatonic scale, but you would just say A major.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

- John Coltrane
Quote by MapOfYourHead
^
there is no such thing as the diatonic scale.

something is diatonic to a scale.

yes, there is..

"In music theory, a diatonic scale (from the Greek διατονικός, meaning "[progressing] through tones", also known as the heptatonia prima and set form 7-35) is a seven note musical scale comprising five whole steps and two half steps, in which the half steps are maximally separated"
shred is gaudy music
I put this together from what i learn't about intervals, is it correct?

Unison = Starting Note / Base Note
Minor Second = Semitone from starting Tone
Major Second = Tone From Starting Note
Minor 3rd = 2 Tones From Starting Note
Major 3rd = 2 Tones and One Semi Tone from Starting Note
Perfect 4th = 3 Tone From Starting Note
Diminished 5th = 3 and One Semi Tone from Starting Note
Perfect 5th =4 Tones from Starting Note
Minor 6th = 5 Tones From Starting Note
Major 6th = 5 and One semi tone from Starting Note
Minor 7th = 6 Tones From Starting Note
Major 7th = 6 and One Semi Tone From Starting Note
Starting Note To Starting Note = Octave
Last edited by ShredHead396 at Sep 24, 2009,
It is called whole tones and semitones. And the unison has nothing to do with the bass note. There are some mistakes.

Perfect Unison/diminished 2nd = 0 semitones
Minor 2nd/augmented unison = 1 semitones
Major 2nd/diminished 3rd = 2 semitones
Minor 3rd/augmented 2nd = 3 semitones
Major 3rd/diminished 4th = 4 semitones
Perfect 4th/augmented 3rd = 5 semitones
Diminished 5th/augmented 4th = 6 semitones
Perfect 5th/diminished 6th = 7 semitones
Minor 6th/augmented 5th = 8 semitones
Major 6th/diminished 7th = 9 semitones
Minor 7th/augmented 6th = 10 semitones
Major 7th/diminished octave = 11 semitones
Perfect octave/augmented 7th = 12 semitones
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane
Quote by ShredHead396
I put this together from what i learn't about intervals, is it correct?

Unison = Starting Note / Base Note
Minor Second = Semitone from starting Tone
Major Second = Tone From Starting Note
Minor 3rd = 2 Tones From Starting Note
Major 3rd = 2 Tones and One Semi Tone from Starting Note
Perfect 4th = 3 Tone From Starting Note
Diminished 5th = 3 and One Semi Tone from Starting Note
Perfect 5th =4 Tones from Starting Note
Minor 6th = 5 Tones From Starting Note
Major 6th = 5 and One semi tone from Starting Note
Minor 7th = 6 Tones From Starting Note
Major 7th = 6 and One Semi Tone From Starting Note
Starting Note To Starting Note = Octave

If you can, get yourself a good teacher and/or book.

You're taking on a big subject. One that people study for years. Trying to learn it all online simply isn't practical, though you can pick up some things.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
yes, there is..

"In music theory, a diatonic scale (from the Greek διατονικός, meaning "[progressing] through tones", also known as the heptatonia prima and set form 7-35) is a seven note musical scale comprising five whole steps and two half steps, in which the half steps are maximally separated"

momentary facepalm on my part.

yet, diatonic, in my eyes, means "part of".

as in, those chords are diatonic to that scale, etc.
Quote by GuitarMunky
If you can, get yourself a good teacher and/or book.

You're taking on a big subject. One that people study for years. Trying to learn it all online simply isn't practical, though you can pick up some things.

Ok.
I have a teacher from a private school who can sweep like nothing and all that, but i am on school holidays so i thought you might be able to teach me something here online.
My guitar is in a shop being sold while i'm paying off a new one so i thought while i can't practice here at home i might be able to learn some stuff here so i am ahead when i get back to my teacher, but thanks for the help though, i'm going to memorize that minor 2nd stuff