After my failure to buy a Left handed acoustic in New York I've narrowed down my choice to the following (In no order):

1) Taylor Big Baby LH
2) Takamine EG 540 DDC LH
3) Tanglewood TW115AS CE LH
4) Seagull S6 LH

All are about the same price.

I play various styles and the guitar will be used mainly for practicing in my living room and taking around friends and family's house's.

Which one should I go for?
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
the seagull s6 would be my choice - it's got a good build quality, good sound that's very versatile and a good feel. i sort of like the big baby, but it always feels fragile to me, and doesn't have as full a sound as the seagull. i didn't care for the sound of the tak. am not familiar with the tanglewood.
I have a Big Baby. It's by far my favorite guitar. It's a little bit smaller than standard, 15/16 scale, but the tone surpasses most of the full body dreadnaughts that the guys I jam with have, including this one guys Martin. The quality is going to be pretty good all around coming from Taylor. Real nice on the end so you get some nice ringing chords but still plenty of bass.
Thanks all for your help.

It's now between the Big Baby and the S6.

I tried an S6 a few months ago and have a vague memory of the side dots not being repeated for every dot on the fret board, is this correct? As I'm still learning my way around the frets and this might be a little awkward. My local store (GAK in Brighton UK) only has the Folk version is it "that" much different to the "Original"?

I've never played a Big Baby, as I cannot find a leftie in a local shop, is the neck a comparible width to the Seagulls, as I slightly preferred it to the Tak I tried.
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
Last edited by CarbonToe at Sep 25, 2009,
i just pulled out my s6. the side dots AND the fretboard dots are shown at all the same frets - 3, 5, 7 and 12.

i just looked up taylor big baby nut width on google and got 1 11/16 inch at every result. i see that many sites list the s6 as having a 1.8" nut width, but when i measured mine it was a little narrower. as i recall, the taylor neck felt narrower.

Quote by CarbonToe
Thanks all for your help.

It's now between the Big Baby and the S6.

I tried an S6 a few months ago and have a vague memory of the side dots not being repeated for every dot on the fret board, is this correct? As I'm still learning my way around the frets and this might be a little awkward. My local store (GAK in Brighton UK) only has the Folk version is it "that" much different to the "Original"?

I've never played a Big Baby, as I cannot find a leftie in a local shop, is the neck a comparible width to the Seagulls, as I slightly preferred it to the Tak I tried.
I came so close to getting the Seagull, but after taking on board your thoughts I've decided to go with the Taylor.

I didn't need 'volume' as I don't plan to "perform", so the (slightly) smaller size didnt matter.

Cheers for your help.