So there are great minds here on UG ( ), try and come up with a solution to the filesharing issue. Its likely in the Uk at least, the government will take some sort of drastic action, like cutting off filesharers connections.

Many artists like Lily Allen, James Blunt etc maintain that artists cant release great albums since they lack financial support. Im not sure either of those people have any talent to improve but anyway.
1. just buy the goddamn CD, it's not the end of the world

2. If you have a good system like where I live, you can go to the library, rent the CD for €0.25, and then just copy it when you're home...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

They should ban the internets. It's not like anyone needs it anyway.

stratkat
Just eat Cheesecake.

It'll be allright

It'll be allright

oooooh
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Well Lily Allen has quit music, so we don't have to care about her.

To be honest, the government won't get their way, because ALL of the ISP's are against it, so even if it was law, the ISP's wouldn't give a ****, they just want the money from their customers, not to cut them off all the time and lose money.

No-one knows what the next step will be, I think MP3 is the best we can get.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by lucertia.
So there are great minds here on UG ( ), try and come up with a solution to the filesharing issue. Its likely in the Uk at least, the government will take some sort of drastic action, like cutting off filesharers connections.

Many artists like Lily Allen, James Blunt etc maintain that artists cant release great albums since they lack financial support. Im not sure either of those people have any talent to improve but anyway.

well i dont know why james blunt doesnt make money...i wouldnt download any of his material- and sure as hell not buy it
incubus rocks my world
Quote by poipoi

2. If you have a good system like where I live, you can go to the library, rent the CD for €0.25, and then just copy it when you're home...

well its not going to happen people will just use proxys and set up new torrent sites all the time.

i dont see how artists cant stream wav files of their stuff on their page and use the space to advertise like most other websites do. i listen to the majority of the music i hear online rather than download.
These streaming services like Spotify are the only real answer, apart from artist's giving them away for free.

But, no up and coming artist could do that. Unless they jacked up ticket prices at concerts.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
1. Encrypt your connection.
2. Stay off public trackers/indexing sites.

Edit: Tbh, it's only really popular music/films that get heavily shared. The few torrents of lesser known bands etc, don't even get enough leechers to be considered having a significant effect on said band's income.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by MacMan2001
But, no up and coming artist could do that. Unless they jacked up ticket prices at concerts.

Which is what is happening, bands are raising their booking fee to cover no-one buying their music.
The only true way of revenue for bands is now merch and gig tickets, both of which are still taken a considerable chunk out of by distributors and ticket companys

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
Which is what is happening, bands are raising their booking fee to cover no-one buying their music.
The only true way of revenue for bands is now merch and gig tickets, both of which are still taken a considerable chunk out of by distributors and ticket companys

No, they've always been getting almost all of their money from gigs.
Quote by theguitarist
1. Encrypt your connection.
2. Stay off public trackers/indexing sites.

Edit: Tbh, it's only really popular music/films that get heavily shared. The few torrents of lesser known bands etc, don't even get enough leechers to be considered having a significant effect on said band's income.

the lesser known bands that I listen to tell their fans that they should download their albums because the band never sees any money from record sales.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I can't afford to buy groceries right now, let alone music, or internet at home,
so if I don't steal it, I can't listen to it,

Besides, I'm still appreciating their work and supporting the bands I like by spreading the word about them. It's not like I'm jacking their cars and selling them in Mexico
Quote by due 07
No, they've always been getting almost all of their money from gigs.

Merchandise comes into it heavily - there's a reason they charge upwarsds of £15 for a mug (i like collecting mugs rather than shirts) or £20 for a shirt.

I suppose you could see album sales then as a bonus if they generate any good money for the band. Of course, record contracts are a MASSIVE earner for groups.

But despite money from contracts, gigs and merch - it doesn't make it right to fileshare. I intend to delete and rebuy the songs from the albums I have torrented (that's 3 in total I think) because I believe in giving money to them for what they do.

It's karma (Y)
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Quote by Ur all $h1t
the lesser known bands that I listen to tell their fans that they should download their albums because the band never sees any money from record sales.

either way, it's just the same story from when everyone would just tape record, then when people would borrow then burn a copy. I figure the record companies have their panties in such a twist, mostly because the process of music sharing is just much more organised than it ever was, and they can't accept that their drop in business is due to obvious economic factors.

Myself, I've tried to buy every album I've downloaded, mostly because I like the idea of owning the original in a hard format, but slightly on principle of it. The same way I'd copy a cd from a friend but then try to buy it when I could if I liked the album (very rare for me to like just a choice few songs from an album)
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by MacMan2001
Merchandise comes into it heavily - there's a reason they charge upwarsds of £15 for a mug (i like collecting mugs rather than shirts) or £20 for a shirt.

Exactly! I know plenty of bands personally and they all say that most of their actual profit comes from merch, most of them just get enough from gigs to cover petrol and food for tour.

Quote by MightyAl
Quote by dancesisidance
Exactly! I know plenty of bands personally and they all say that most of their actual profit comes from merch, most of them just get enough from gigs to cover petrol and food for tour.

Well there is a lot that goes into a tour - the label's will want a big share for a kickoff. Then you have logistics, roadies, hotels, smashed up TVs and hotel rooms etc to pay for, plus then splitting the remaining figure by the number of people in the group.

It's the record contracts that give the band themselves millions that will generate the majority of income.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by frusciante.ve

I wonder why like say, they do a sort of website where you can download the album, and the website is covered with advertisements, which pay for the music.

It wouldn't work really, but oh well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I suggest we don't do anything about it. Artists make most of their money on tour anyway
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by ChucklesMginty
How does one do this?
I mean I tend to use a proxy when on torrent sites, but ISPs would still know if I'm using Limewire right?

Actually most bittorrent programs allow you to encrypt your connection just by simply checking a box in the options, doesn't have a noticeable effect on speed, and if you're downloading anything from a public tracker (tpb, etc), you should go through a proxy via your torrent's settings. Limewire is just too easy to get caught on. Also they can only get you on uploading, not downloading, so when using publicly tracked torrents you could just snatch the file and not let it seed at all, and feel like a bit of a leeching prick, lol.

Best thing to do is just use private trackers. With this whole thing about the music/film industry in the uk, it would just be the companies in question finding torrents (publicly of course) with their copyright, and just connect to it and write down the list of IPs and then email the isp and ask them for information about the person connected to that IP. At the moment when the record/music companies try that, the ISPs just tell them to get bent (in the uk at least, in the US they sometimes manage to get the ISPs to co-operate), if these laws ever come about (doubtful) then the ISPs will at the very least be forced to cut you off.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
Actually most bittorrent programs allow you to encrypt your connection just by simply checking a box in the options, doesn't have a noticeable effect on speed, and if you're downloading anything from a public tracker (tpb, etc), you should go through a proxy via your torrent's settings. Limewire is just too easy to get caught on. Also they can only get you on uploading, not downloading, so when using publicly tracked torrents you could just snatch the file and not let it seed at all, and feel like a bit of a leeching prick, lol.

Best thing to do is just use private trackers. With this whole thing about the music/film industry in the uk, it would just be the companies in question finding torrents (publicly of course) with their copyright, and just connect to it and write down the list of IPs and then email the isp and ask them for information about the person connected to that IP. At the moment when the record/music companies try that, the ISPs just tell them to get bent (in the uk at least, in the US they sometimes manage to get the ISPs to co-operate), if these laws ever come about (doubtful) then the ISPs will at the very least be forced to cut you off.

so is a private tracker the same thing as using a proxy?
Quote by poipoi

Or save yourself the time and just torrent it.
Something like spotify, probably. I pay £8 per month and get to listen to everything I want through a streaming option. The artists get their share accordingly to how much their music is being listened to.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
No one with an actually good idea will publicly share it, but the key to stopping file sharing is to convince consumers of a cheap/easy/fast/legal way to get music that has enough marginal benefit to offset the need to take the risk of being caught and the time it takes to download the music through file sharing.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by Kensai
Something like spotify, probably. I pay £8 per month and get to listen to everything I want through a streaming option. The artists get their share accordingly to how much their music is being listened to.

what website is that?
^ www.spotify.com

It's a lightweight program you download separetely, luckily.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████