Hi all,

I'm looking for a small tube amp, wich i can use at home (an appartment - so it can't be TOO loud) and for some occasional practice and gigging.
Now I was looking at the Vox AC4TV, the Marshall Class 5, the Fender Champ 600 but I also heard good things about the Blackstar HT5.
The Vox and the Marshall are the favorites right now, since i can also use them at lower sound levels (build in attentuator/headphone jack)

I mainly play newer indie rock (like The Libertines, Arctic Monkeys...),
but also bluesrock from the '60-'70's (Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones,...).

What would be the best amp? And are there other little tube amps under the 400euros price range i should look up?

Thanks a lot :-)

P.S. or should i save up the money to buy a bigger amp and install a good attentuator?
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
For what you play definitely the Vox. It sounds awesome on the clips I've heard.

+1 This is one of those times when your genre really makes it an easy choice. The Vox is far superior to the other choices in both of the genres you mention.

Edit: Looking back, the others can do the classic rock stuff pretty well, but for the indie/punk the Vox is gonna be ideal.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Occasional gigging? May want to rethink the wattage.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Occasional gigging? May want to rethink the wattage.

With occasional gigging I mean in my school, which is for about 300+people, but I think I better buy a small amp so I can use it at home and mic it up at school.
OR buy an AC30 and a good attentuator... :-S

@everyone thanks for the response, and yes the Vox is my favorite too now :-)
The vox is a very nice amp for bedroom practice. I don't know how well it would hang with a drummer though. If you've got a PA and a good monitoring system you can make it work until you can afford a real gigging amp
I have the Champ 600, but in all honesty the Vox, though pricier, sounds nicer.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
AC4 definately, has an attenuator and 10" speaker for not much more than the champ, and a lot less than the HT-5 or class 5
I would go vox
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Thanks everyone, the vox it is then,
I'll get one as soon as possible

Now, that brings me to another question, since the AC4 doesn't have a reverb,
what is the best choice of reverb pedal?
Compare the Vox against the Super Champ XD. The SCXD will give you enough power for gigging and includes FX (reverb, delay, chorus,...)
http://www.valvepower.co.uk/index.htm

assuming postage to belgium is the same as to france and germany, that should be under budget. Grab a cheap cab like the valve junior cab or the harley benton 1x12 which matches the ga5 on thomann, and away you go. The fact it's 18 watts means you could play small gigs with it, too, but the power scaling means you can get it down to really low volumes and still sound "cranked up"- a lot lower volumes than you'll be able to get the 5 watters (bar the vox ac4), as 5 watts is still really, really loud cranked up in a home environment.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 24, 2009,
Good choice on the Vox, from the time I've used it I could get excellent cleans and a nice throaty crunch. All the clips I've heard from the Marshall have left me largely unimpressed.
Quote by juniorlbj
Gentlemen...

It's fap time!
I own the AC4 head, and I love it. It's perfect for playing indie and classic rock like you want to. I use it in my dorm with my 2x12 and haven't had any complaints yet from my roommates or neighbours.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I plan on checking out a Bugera V5 this weekend. Seems to have a lot of features for such an inexpensive small wattage tube amp.
Quote by pak1351
I think that's just been discontinued, so grab it quick

No, I think they just updated it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The vox sounds just about right for you.

Have you also looked at the Orange AD5? Its worth considering too imo, if you can find one.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The Bugera V5 is very nice as well. It is a bit darker tone wise than the Vox but definitely worth a look as well. Its also $100 cheaper

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
It's already been said but the Vox is perfect for you, pretty much all of those artists use/have used Vox.

The only problem is that you wont be able to gig with it so if you intend to, save up more for an AC15/30. It would be similar, but better, and louder.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Does this VOX AC4 has a nice clean??

Some people said it doesn't... I think they're all crazy... and u guys?