Looking at things from a value perspective what would you say about this. I have 2 amps I'm looking at (private seller). The asking price for each is $300 (or both for $500). Both heads includes their matching 4x12 cabinet for that price.

Both the Carvin X-100B and Peavey Supreme 160 are tube amps, which is what I'm after. Seller says the Carvin needs new tubes but I don't really have an idea on cost for this.

I'm still a new player but these prices seem low enough that I can't really go wrong either way (or can I?) I mean a tube head and 4x12 cabinet for $300?

As for my musical tastes, I enjoy playing sparkling cleans, growling blues, rock and metal. Any input on your experience with the sound produced by either/or would be very much appreciated.

Also, as I've never had anything other than a small combo, can these amps play quietly and still sound good? Can I turn the volume up on the head and simply turn it down on my guitar, while maintaining the sound quality of the amp?

What do you think?
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
The X-100B has amazing cleans, it's 'metal' distortion is very lacking though. It will get you up to the lates 70s Marshall type of gain.
Carvin is a fantastic company and I have never been let-down (or not amazed) by anything I've ever had of their's (Pre-amp, combo amp, bass pickups)

I have no experience with the Peavey.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
The X100B can do metal with an OD. Take a listen to Steve Vai's early stuff of Jason Becker to get a good idea of the tone of it. And the cost of retubing the entire thing would probably be near $100.
They are both good choices, in fact, I would buy both if the deal was offered to me. The Peavey will have more gain. Carvin has much, much better EQ capability. You will have to push the front with an od to get a modern metal tone from either.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
You've gotta be bloody kidding, an X100b halfstack for $300?
You Americans are insane! Get it.

Haha!

Well, for what it's worth, I don't think this is an every day sort of deal. But yeah, I thought I'd be a bit foolish to pass up one of these.

I think I'm leaning towards the X100b and re-tubing it. I was about to pull the trigger on a Blackstar HT-5 because it seemed to offer everything I wanted (ability to play somewhat quietly as a major part of it), but now I don't know...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
Do you plan on gigging anytime soon?

No, not really.

I actually considered getting one of these, cleaning it up so it sparkles and using it to trade for a smaller amp that more suits my needs...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
You know, I also have the opportunity to pick up a Vox AD30VT-XL for $180. That might work for me in lieu of the HT-5 (they don't seem to be very common over here yet).
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
The peavey supreme is solid state not tube. I know becaues i have read a lot about this amp and im considering buying one in my town. 500$ Canadian for the head and cab.
Last edited by R74NOGRADY at Sep 27, 2009,
Well, both of these got sold so neither are in contention. I thought the deal(s) were too good to pass up and they probably were. Should have just pulled the trigger. Oh well, my loss.

Now, back to the hunt for a smaller tube amp. Looks like I can get a Blackstar HT-5 for about $300, which is funny to think of spending the same I could have gotten this Carvin half stack for...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native