hey guys when learning a new genre what do you normally look for to pin point that is the sound and rhythm of the genre you want to learn
Tone of guitar and stuff- distortion etc
Technique- do they use slides and stuff
Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head
I listen to some pieces in that style and play anything... literally random stuff on the guitar in time with it... this is so that i can get a feel for the piece before experimenting with the specific techniques associated with the style
ok do you guys listen for and try to capture the emotion that is associated with the genre
when im trying to play a new genre i listen to ALOT of music similar to the tone im trying to capture. i work on technique mainly while also adapting my tone to the genre accordingly as i go.

main thing is technique tho, you need to be able to appreciate the subtleties of the style to really be able to play it correctly.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
i'm trying to fully learn the genre of my homeland which is reggae and it's mostly strumming and playing some simple chord progression and im wondering if im missing anything
Quote by draeday
i'm trying to fully learn the genre of my homeland which is reggae and it's mostly strumming and playing some simple chord progression and im wondering if im missing anything

probably not. maybe listen to some Ska-ey type stuff too, and get the groove?
oh ok kool will do that because what im listening now is stephen marley and his brothers with some of the popular one drop songs because i want to understand the arrangement to see how i can put i twist to it. any tips
Analyze music in that genre. See what makes a song sound classical, or jazzy, or metal, or country, etc... even if all said songs use a I-IV-V progression. Its not what you play but how you play it. You have to pay attention to everything. Emulate the sounds as close as possible, and eventually after listening, analyzing, and playing a genre for a while, you should be able to write unique songs in that genre that still sound like that genre.
Learn the most stereotypical elements of the genre first. Sound generic and bland. Copy the things the most standard artists in the genre do. Once you can confidently and consistently do that, you are ready to branch off. Nobody starts off being creative within their genre, and you should make sure you don't rush yourself too much and miss the framework of the sound you want.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.