so im changing the strings on my guitar and i was wondering what brand of strings i should buy. many people tell me to get d'addario or martins but what is the difference?
Sound and feel, as well as price. Since its your first time, just buy a bunch from different brands and models, and see which ones you like more.
Ernie Ball Slinky.
But it really depends on what tone you want. Since it's your first time buying strings, your calluses probably aren't developed yet, I wouldn't go with anything too thick. Probably nothing bigger than a .09 on the highest string, if you play electric. I dunno anything about acoustic.
Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to.
I'm guessing this is a steel string we're talking about? My suggestion would be Martin's, they seem to have a better tone and longer live than d'addario's (imo). And don't get thin strings like .09 on an acoustic. Go at least for 0.11s, you don't need to bend as much on an acoustic and the thicker strings really add to richness of your sound.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by HeliuM
I'm guessing this is a steel string we're talking about? My suggestion would be Martin's, they seem to have a better tone and longer live than d'addario's (imo). And don't get thin strings like .09 on an acoustic. Go at least for 0.11s, you don't need to bend as much on an acoustic and the thicker strings really add to richness of your sound.

sorry about that. yeah i was talking about steel strings.
Quote by HeliuM
I'm guessing this is a steel string we're talking about? My suggestion would be Martin's, they seem to have a better tone and longer live than d'addario's (imo).

My first time I bought strings for my acoustic I bought Martin Mediums. I liked these strings alot. I have been using D'Addario's now and I wish I woulda stuck with the Martins. D'Addario's sound nice and all but they didn't seem to last as long as the Martins. I would suggest getting either medium or medium light Martin strings.
All in all is all we are
Quote by Skill.Pill
sorry about that. yeah i was talking about steel strings.

Umm, Acoustic guitars have steel strings too? Not all acoustics are nylon string; I think what you meant to say was electric guitar strings?

Yeah, string choice is basically all preference. I myself like Martin Marquis, although some people prefer stuff like D'addario's, some like Cleartone, and some like Rotosound, it's all preference.

Now if you can tell us what kind of tone you're looking for (Ie, trebly/bright, Balanced, Bassy, etc) we can give you some recommendations.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
It's all a matter of personal preference.
I use the Ernie Ball Earthwoods. I normally get the 11's - I don't recall if that is called Light or Super Light.
The Martins are excellent as well. A lot of people like the elixir strings as they supposedly hold up a lot longer (but are more expensive).
Strings are cheap! Buy a few packs and try them out - see what you like best!
Quote by clayonfire

Now if you can tell us what kind of tone you're looking for (Ie, trebly/bright, Balanced, Bassy, etc) we can give you some recommendations.

Out of curiousity, what do you recommend for the trebly/bright tone?
I've heard that Martin SP's are a relatively bright sounding string, not too bright though, but it is bright. I know Marquis are really bright when you first string em up.

I'd check out this thread for brand recommendations and stuff:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767693
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
I have tried the Ernie Ball Earthwood .11s and the D'addario EJ11 80/20 bronze .12 and the D'addario EJ16 phosphor/bronze .12. The EJ11s were a bit bright for my taste. The Earthwoods were nice and warm but died in just a few weeks. My favorite so far are the EJ16s, warm lows, bright hights and great mids. All of these are in to $6 - $7 price range.
Yamaha FG730S