I just started playing about 3 months ago, and feel i have learned a bit so far. I really ultimately want to be playing blues guitar mostly.

What scales, chords, etc should i be practicing to make this better.

Also, i have a dual humbucker guitar at the moment...and i was wondering for blues, what type of guitar setup, pickup wise, is reccomended for the best sound.
In your position I wouldn't worry about the sound, learning to play is more important. For blues the pentatonic scale of course...

There are vids in youtube that give advice how to play blues etc.
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
Quote by henkka_potku
In your position I wouldn't worry about the sound, learning to play is more important. For blues the pentatonic scale of course...

Reason i was wondering, is the wife is asking what i want for christmas. Was just wondering if like a HSS or SSS style pickups would be better for getting that bluesy sound so i can tell her what to look for.
Quote by mauler5858
Reason i was wondering, is the wife is asking what i want for christmas. Was just wondering if like a HSS or SSS style pickups would be better for getting that bluesy sound so i can tell her what to look for.

Ultimately, when I think of blues, I think of a strat. However I think a Gibson ES-335 has the most gorgeous sound for blues when distorted and if the player can play it right.

You just got to look at what your favorite players play. You can eventually buy a different guitar to get a different sound.

BB King played a Gibson Semi Hollow (ES-335, Gibson and Epiphone both have his sig)
Hendrix played strats and a few Gibsons
SRV played strats
Clapton played Les Pauls, Firebirds, ES-335s, SGs, (and an explorer at one point).
Telecasters have been used before.

Just depends on what you want in the guitar.

As for you learning blues, Major and Minor pentatonic are the main ones, for chords, you can google them.

For practicing, you do need to get your fingers used to playing those scales and chords, then for practicing, you can learn Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Clapton (Cream might be best), Hendrix, Buddy Guy, BB King, SRV.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by mauler5858
You're better off playing a guitar before you buy it, to check you like the feel of it. So might be worth convincing her to go shopping with you and see what make/model you want, rather than just pickup configuration.

Edit: as a beginner, you really need to learn the same scales/chords whatever genre you want to play. If you haven't already, learn your basic open major and minor chords, then when you are confident with them start looking at A and E shaped barre chords.

As far as scales go, I'd still start with the Major scale, as you can derive pretty much any other scale you'll ever need from the Major scale, and its the simplest to understand in terms of construction, and the simplest to learn to harmonise. Once you've got your head around that, learn how the natural minor is related to the Major scale, and how the pentatonics are related to the Major and minor scales.

In the meantime I'd start learning to play the minor pentatonic and start noodling with it, then start adding in the b5 blue note when you're confident.

Google 12 bar blues too
Last edited by zhilla at Sep 24, 2009,