What techniques are there to mute my notes after I play them, for example if youve got a rest right after a note?

- I can mute with my palm, but this is rather slow (have to move my whole hand to mute)
- I can mute with my finger, but this makes a buzzing sound when i release pressure
- Maybe mute with pick, or...?

Btw, do rests always mean that i have to mute all notes that are ringing? Or is it sometimes used as a fill-up or something?
well if your fretting a note, if you stop fretting it cleanly, the sound should stop right away....

What i do is i fret the note, and then stop pressing on it, and leave my finger above the fret, stopping the string from vibrating.
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
Quote by manipulator70
well if your fretting a note, if you stop fretting it cleanly, the sound should stop right away....

What i do is i fret the note, and then stop pressing on it, and leave my finger above the fret, stopping the string from vibrating.

Exactly this.

Once fretted and picked lift your finger off it and play it as if it were a harmonic
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
but dont u get the buzzing sound when lifitng off or is this just my (lack of) skill?

The palm mute is more abrupt imo.
Quote by Naam
- I can mute with my palm, but this is rather slow (have to move my whole hand to mute)
- I can mute with my finger, but this makes a buzzing sound when i release pressure

I do both. Also, you get less of a chance of a harmonic ringing out if you put all 4 fingers down (fretting hand) instead of just releasing pressure on 1 finger. Just release the pressure, and lightly rest the rest of your fingers on the strings.
Quote by tenfold
I do both. Also, you get less of a chance of a harmonic ringing out if you put all 4 fingers down (fretting hand) instead of just releasing pressure on 1 finger. Just release the pressure, and lightly rest the rest of your fingers on the strings.

Hmm that seems to work better. That what i already did when muting after a bend (when bending with pinky and 3 other fingers for support)

What about muting with the pick?