is a diminished 7th the same as a major 6th??

c to a# is a minor 7th so one more half step c to a is a diminished 7th

a is also c's major 6th

if my calculations are correct
Yeah, a diminished 7 is enharmonically to major 6. The context decides if it's a dim 7 or major 6.
Quote by deHufter
Yeah, a diminished 7 is enharmonically to major 6. The context decides if it's a dim 7 or major 6.

so what context is a dim. 7th or what context is a maj. 6th
Diminishd 7th chord/arpeggio (1 b3 b5 bb7).
Major sixth chord is (1 3 5 6).
If you're referring to a diminshed 7th or major 6th as intervals, they're the same thing.
Last edited by Amer91 at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by Amer91
When you refer to a diminishd 7th chord/arpeggio, you use arpeggios like the ones used by players like Yngwie Malmsteen (1 b3 b5 bb7). A major sixth chord is (1 3 5 6).

so the lead can determine the context?
Quote by boobinski
so the lead can determine the context?

You can have a major 6th chord, which would include the major 6th:
1 3 5 6

And a full diminished 7th chord:
1 b3 b5 bb7
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
You can also have a diminished chord with a minor third, diminished fifth, and major sixth above the bass note. This, however, would be in first inversion, and the chord would be named based on the note a major sixth above the bass note.
a diminished chord is made by stacking 3rds. so Cdim is C D Eb F Gb A Bbb C

can you see from that scale why Cdim is C Eb Gb Bbb not C Eb Gb A?
(am i actually making sense - i think it may be bed time...)
Quote by doive
a diminished chord is made by stacking 3rds. so Cdim is C D Eb F Gb A Bbb C

can you see from that scale why Cdim is C Eb Gb Bbb not C Eb Gb A?
(am i actually making sense - i think it may be bed time...)

I think you could go for some sleep
No scale would have both A and Bbb in it.

A diminished chord is built off stacking minor thirds. C Eb Gb Bbb. Putting another third on this would be Dbb, which is enharmonic to C. This leads to something interesting: diminished chords are symmetrical. Any of the notes can be considered the root, and the chord will still sound the same! (Albeit, the spelling will change) Adim7 is A C Eb Gb; F#dim7 is F# A C Eb; D#dim7 is D# F# A C. All four of these chords are the same, only with notes swapped out for enharmonic ones.