Hello everyone!

This is my first post here and I'm looking for assistance with what I'm doing on the guitar.

I've been playing for 2-3 months now on and off, recently due to school and other things practice has been non existent for the most part. However, I would like that to change and I'm going to be practising regularly in the future. Time management ftw...
To give you an idea of how good I am, well, I've never really sat down and learnt many songs; I can play "Breaking the Law" by Priest and most of the riffs from "The Trooper" by Maiden. I know a few scales, as well as the Maj, Min and some of the 7th/5th chords. I'm going to be playing Metal, Trad. mainly as my favourite bands are Maiden and Priest; though when I'm better I'd like to have a go at learning Death licks.
What I'm here to ask you is where to go with it, at the moment I'm simply not sure where to go with my playing or what to do. Should I try learning more music theory, more chords, more scales - or should I try to learn the basics of some techniques like Sweeps or Tapping? Another question I'd like to ask (which to be honest must be a rather common one) is how much practice I should be getting in. On weekdays I could probably manage 2 hours maximum. As well as this, what should I be practising? At the moment I have a rough 30 min schedule of 5 mins warming up 5 mins chords 5 mins scales 15 mins songs, and I'd like to know how I could improve that.
i felt bad seeing as almost 40 peoplle looked at this thread and no one responded so ill respond lol

ive been playing for 4 years and am pretty good at leads. but my tiiming sucks ass cusi never worked with a metronome. so make u sure u do that

also, yes study some thoery.

make sure ur technique is right. 1 year in i had to switch everything up cus i really tense and what not

but practice alternate picking alot. forget about sweeping for a while
Quote by TheLastSerenade
i felt bad seeing as almost 40 peoplle looked at this thread and no one responded so ill respond lol

ive been playing for 4 years and am pretty good at leads. but my tiiming sucks ass cusi never worked with a metronome. so make u sure u do that

also, yes study some thoery.

make sure ur technique is right. 1 year in i had to switch everything up cus i really tense and what not

but practice alternate picking alot. forget about sweeping for a while

QFT

use metranome

practice what you LOVE
I'd suggest buying a theory book, i am using 2 right now, one on mixiloydian and the other on techniques w/sweeps

remeber!

30 minutes of hardcore scales and actual theory goes farther than 2 hours of noodiling
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
2 hours a day is enough if it's serious practice.

I can't really give you an answer to what you should practice, but maybe you should take a little while to analyse your playing and think about what you should do to improve it. Most of the time, only you can figure out what you should be doing.

Also think about your goals and train in consequences to achieve them. Do you want to be a good lead player? Then start learning techniques like bending, hammer-ons and pull-offs. You can practice sweep and finger-tapping too, if you consider yourself ready for it. Or if you like to play chords and accoustic songs, then practice your chords and learn new ones.

About the theory, you should constantly be learning new stuff. Don't learn a scale and then wait for a while before to learn a new one. If you learn a scale or a chord to the point where you really know it, then move on to a new one.

I'd recommend you the Metal Methods DVD's from Doug Marks. It's really good stuff. You start at the first DVD with some beginner stuff, then move on to the other 5 DVD's, as you progress. It also contains good exercises including fingering and chords.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Study theory and USE A METRONOME. I really wish I did. I have been playing for 4 years and my timing is horrible.

Also, remember to take things slow. A lot of people who start guitar try to rush into it and try to play stuff faster than they can and it sounds horrible. (I have personally seen this so many times haha) So yeah, just take your time and make sure that you play cleanly.

And remember that timing is really, really important. So play along with songs, a metronome, drum machine, whatever will improve your timing.