When you pull off to an open string when playing within a scale, will it almost always sound right with few exceptions or will it only sometimes sound good?
Depends if the open string is in key to the scale you're playing or not.
Quote by zhilla
Depends if the open string is in key to the scale you're playing or not.

Pretty much. But even if it's in key it obviously doesn't have to sound "good".
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
well you'd want the note to be in key to the song you are doing otherwise it probably wont sound very good. im sure there are exceptions but i dont feel like writing them out

I agree;

TS, your question is not concrete enough, and there are many exceptions.

Just experiment with it and stay in they key just to be safe.

Just look at some artists that use open string pull off's to get inspired.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
There's nothing special about open strings. If you pull of to the open B string whilst playing in the key of B, it will probably sound good. If you do that while playing in the key of Gm, it probably won't. This has nothing to do with the fact that it is an open string, but B is in the key of B (duh) but it's not in the key of Gm.

Use the open strings the same way you would use any other note. With the exception of low E - which is just two octaves lower than high E, so it's not special - all of the tones available from the open strings are available elsewhere on the fretboard.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
There's nothing special about open strings. If you pull of to the open B string whilst playing in the key of B, it will probably sound good. If you do that while playing in the key of Gm, it probably won't. This has nothing to do with the fact that it is an open string, but B is in the key of B (duh) but it's not in the key of Gm.

Use the open strings the same way you would use any other note. With the exception of low E - which is just two octaves lower than high E, so it's not special - all of the tones available from the open strings are available elsewhere on the fretboard.

Thanks. I saw my guitar teacher pull off a lot to open strings, and I wondered if he stayed within the scales - it sounded good, so he probably did.
The only example i can think of at the moment is the end section of 'Fatal Tragedy' by Dream Theater where it's all notes pulled off ascending and descending the B string.

||-----------------------------------------|
||o-13-12-0-16-0-0-17-0-0-19-0-0-20-0-22-0-|
||o----------------------------------------|

|---------------------------------------|
|-24-0-0-22-0-0-20-0-0-19-0-0-17-0-16-0-|