i am a beginner guitarist i got a starcaster 3 years ago and 6 months before i got it thru dealing with its ****tyness to now i have wanted to play guitar now im looking at the jackson dk2 with hss congig and the spider 75 watt jam amp. im wondering if anyone things im crazy to spend this much or if im better off starting with less of a guitar and a lot smaller amp. also i dont care what people think about spider i know 2 kids who have them and thever worked fine for years and also no other amp out there can do what the spider jam can......
hey man if got the money get whatever the hell you want haha If you stick with it you will need/want good equipment eventually anyway so go for it
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
you could spend 10 grand on an amp and guitar and you wouldn't be crazy.lol.. Now you might wanna put up your flame sheild because people around here tend to follow trends and flame you for no reason.. the spider jam will be awesome for what you want. You might have also wanted to suggest that they don't recommend you another amp cause they will try..

For the guitar,.. It's a good guitar.. and i think you'll like that set up.. what kind of music you play btw.. like genre?
the spider jam probably can do a lot more than what others can, but it won't sound as good as other amps. so what 2 other kids have them and use them, if thats the only higher amp you've heard, then thats why you think it sounds good. there are much better sounding amps for the money. if you're stuck on getting a spider, atleast get the Spider Valve, it's actually a pretty good amp and it still has all the amp models too.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
While I highly respect your personal opinion, I would also highly recommend you not get a spider. I've had a Spider III 120 for two years and I'm extremely sick of it and its' muddy tones. I'd suggest getting something like a Peavey Vypyr instead. Much better, much cheaper.
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
Quote by mcleanm19
i am a beginner guitarist i got a starcaster 3 years ago and 6 months before i got it thru dealing with its ****tyness to now i have wanted to play guitar now im looking at the jackson dk2 with hss congig and the spider 75 watt jam amp. im wondering if anyone things im crazy to spend this much or if im better off starting with less of a guitar and a lot smaller amp. also i dont care what people think about spider i know 2 kids who have them and thever worked fine for years and also no other amp out there can do what the spider jam can......

What? Produce sound? a spider jam just has backing tracks installed on it, I can do the same thing, but better, with my ipod and a cable that you can get at radioshack. Ive gotten much better distortion for my ****ty 10- watt amp(only amp right now )
and a $15 dano FAB pedal. Trust me, when you start to progress as a guitar player, youll really regret get a spider above 15 watts. However, a 15 watt spider 3(not the jam version) would make a great practice amp IMO.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
actually the peavey vypyr can do it all. and better, the tone on a spider is all digitally, where as a peavey has anything from bright cleans to bottomy leads, ive you get the sanpera II foot switch you can save over 150 custom settings, the effects range is better too
the vypyr just has four types of echo, delay reverb and tremolo, on the vypyr there lopper, reverse, tube sreamers, tremolo, chorus, reverb, delay, rotary speaker, octave, and more, go for the vypyr all the way, some people complain the software freezes sometimes, it really doesnt, if it does u plug it into your comptuer, sorted, if not you get a new one on warranty, itss be great the vypyr is also alooott louder than the spyder
the vypyr 30 is as loud as the spider 75 almost.
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
well the genre of music i like is from slayer to stevie ray so i think that with the hundreds of presets that the amp has it will be ideal to be able to go from bands like as i lay dying to comfortably numb and for everyone whos said i can do better then line 6 im not quite sure if the vypyr is as good in terms of features but thatnks it looks like its gonna add some more thinking to my choice on what to buy cause i mean it looks like the peavy vesion of the jam but in terms of the sound being muddy and stuff i really just want it to sound like the artists that the preset effects says its supposed to so does anyoine know if it does that???? as far as tone and mudddy to mean mean as much as relativity to kidnergarten teacher
It is kinda silly to spend that much as a beginner since you're not experienced enough to know exactly what you're looking for. It's a good idea to get a modeling amp as your first amp since it's good for experimenting. Don't spend too much on your first guitar though since you're also experimenting with that.
I dislike most modeling amp in general, just my personal opinion, due to the fact that for the most part you can't alter your signal chain. Which is why I enjoy pedals so much more for effects, not just because I find them sounding better, but I can delay my tremolo and wah it, etc. Just really trippy stuff.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
^ The presets for the most part either all sound horrible and the same as most of the other metal tones, or sound really horrible, with lots of effects.

I've had a Spider III since May 2008, and you DO NOT WANT.

If you want something in that price range with a lot better tone that's still made by Line 6, get a POD XT/X3. They don't sound as perfect as a tube amp, but for the money, there's no better amp modeller out there.
You don't need a 75 watt amp to start out, period. It's completely over the top, and you won't need to ever use all of that power. Better to get a smaller, cheaper amp and focus on building your skill set. I started out with a Schecter and a 15 watt Crate. I haven't gigged in over a year, so the only times I've performed live I played through the crate. 15 watts is plenty loud to be heard over a drumset.
Now about the guitar - If you're just starting out, I'd reccomend one of the higher-end Epiphones. The Epi Les Paul Standard is actually a really good guitar, despite being the so-called "budget version". Also, the Schecter C-1 Plus is an incredible guitar for 5 or 600 USD. That guitar also has something called coil tap, which changes the output of the guitar to a more treble-focused, lower overdrive signal that's perfect for blues. It also looks awesome

If you PM me, I might be able to give you a bit more guidance. My advice is just to research constantly and keep an open mind. Also, I'm going to get flamed for this, but DO NOT GET A TUBE AMP WHEN YOU'RE JUST STARTING OUT. Yes, they sound better, but they're far more expensive and require almost annual maintainance.

Last thing - When describing tone, "Thin" means the absence of bass (Great for blues, bad for metal) "Mud" means so much bass that it obscures the rest of the signal. It's very hard to explain, but if mud sounded like something it would sound like that. "British sound" means boosted midrange and a slightly smoother sound, while "American sound" means a tighter, more present low end to the sound.

Hope I was able to help out.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
if were talking about bedroom playing and modleing amps...

Roland cube 30x
/ thread
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
/alright u guys are really helpfull , but i still need more helo on this is that vypyr amp a tube amp so in the long run its gonna cost money to replace the tubes??? and a big ?? if theres a song i like alot of them are already on theh spider jam so i can just turn the nob to say frankenstein and its all set for me to play so i dont see how in terms of not knowing where the hell to turn anyknobs on anyother amp , i would say the jam is my best bet unless im overlooking something...????
if the spider valve is still being closed out for 300$ get that.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
The vypyr isn't a tube amp, though they do make tube versions of it which sound alittle nicer. It does sound better than a spider also.

You'll get tired of those presets after a month or so and start making your own. Stuff like that isn't really useful in my opinion. Just tweak the knobs to get what you want, it will prepare you for the future where you want to create your own sound.
Quote by smartalec007
What? Produce sound? a spider jam just has backing tracks installed on it, I can do the same thing, but better, with my ipod and a cable that you can get at radioshack. Ive gotten much better distortion for my ****ty 10- watt amp(only amp right now )
and a $15 dano FAB pedal. Trust me, when you start to progress as a guitar player, youll really regret get a spider above 15 watts. However, a 15 watt spider 3(not the jam version) would make a great practice amp IMO.

Troll?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER