My bands now gigging regularly in some pretty fair sized places, and unfortunately my poor Laney RB3 does not quite cut the mustard. So, I'm looking for an upgrade. My band plays Indie Rock mainly, but I want the versatility to be able to play anything.

I would also like a fuzz or distortion pedal, a pretty good one so I can add some punch to some of the lead basslines in our songs.

Altogether my budget is about £500, for both pedal and amp. However, there are so many things to choose from I have no idea where to start.

I am playing a Fender Jazz V Standard.
do you like a fat warm tone, an aggresive tone, a clean tone, a slightly over driven tone? a bunch of amps could work for that genre but we can't really reccomend you an amp unless you give us some kind of basis on the tone you're looking for. everyone says this but you really need to go to a store and try some amps out.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I am literally miles from the nearest guitar store, and that has about 3 bass amps in so I have to use the internet.

I like a warm tone, but I also like the colder metallic tones like in Domination by Symphony X. To be honest, my tone changes for each song to suit it the best.
well ive found that my amp can do just about any tone pretty well. i use it for a lot of reggae/dancehall(warm tone) and also for a lot of tool/rhcp type stuff which is a pretty agressive metallic tone. i think its out of your budget though(its about 700 USD for the head).

you might be able to find a used Gallien Krueger 700RB-II or 400RB with a cab in your budget on ebay though.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
No thats awesome, I just found one going for £350 buy it now. Then all I need is a cab - I've never bought a cab before, what are the guidelines aside from correct ohmage?
Quote by Spaz91
If you want a punchy distortion look at the Boss ODB3, loads of vids on youtube.

As for an amp, I think the Ashdown 4x10 might be in your range.

ashdown dont sell outside of the US and Canada i don't think and for a used amp you can get better than most ashdowns at that price.

TS: look for a Gallien Krueger 410SBX or a Gallien Krueger Neo410 cab. both cabs feature bi-amp ability which send the highs to a small tweeter and the lows and mids to the speaker. it keeps your high end clean at high volumes. and on those GK heads you can adjust the tweeter level up to get a more aggressive tone if you want.

The SBX series is harder to find and less expensive but the Neo series is more expensive and lightweight.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Ashdown sell outside North America. One of the more popular brands at the better shop in town.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by funkbass369
ashdown dont sell outside of the US and Canada i don't think and for a used amp you can get better than most ashdowns at that price.

Thats Acoustic, Ashdown are actually made in Britain*. But point taken.

*They're actually made in China then assembled in Britain. Unlike my amp which is all British beef
Quote by Spaz91
Thats Acoustic, Ashdown are actually made in Britain*. But point taken.

*They're actually made in China then assembled in Britain. Unlike my amp which is all British beef

ah i got acoustic and ashdown confused.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369

TS: look for a Gallien Krueger 410SBX or a Gallien Krueger Neo410 cab. both cabs feature bi-amp ability which send the highs to a small tweeter and the lows and mids to the speaker. it keeps your high end clean at high volumes. and on those GK heads you can adjust the tweeter level up to get a more aggressive tone if you want.

The SBX series is harder to find and less expensive but the Neo series is more expensive and lightweight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdiCwu8kEAc good reasearching

to TS i would also look at a used ampeg or a fender
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Ashdown are a UK based company, so you can get all of there products in the UK. I'd say that if you could pick up a second hand Peavey or Hartke cab, they normally sell pretty cheap & as for an OD/Fuzz pedal, I'd say have a look at an Ashdown James LoMenzo Hyperdrive, it's a really nice pedal, only problem is that the switch may need replacing after a while.
Quote by TANKER69
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdiCwu8kEAc good reasearching

to TS i would also look at a used ampeg or a fender

whats with the link to the xbox video?
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Last edited by funkbass369 at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by funkbass369

whats with the link to the xbox video?

hahaha oops, i meant to send this http://www.ashdownmusic.com/dealers/index.asp
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Ashdown Hyperdrives go for about £60, and can be heard here:

http://www.bassplayer.tv/

>Artist Features>James Lomenzo

If you dont get the G-K, and if you like your Laney, the RB9 head is ~£250. There's also the Ashdown MAG300, which other people might recommend.

As for cab guidelines, read the FAQ. Its quite an extensive topic.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737491

My advice would be to try as much as possible, like basses, amps are quite subjective.

As for a list of possibilities, within £150-250, you could get an Ashdown MAG 2x10, a Hartke 2x10XL, G-K 2x10 BLX (although some people hazard against the Backline range), Peavey 2x10TVX, quite a lot really. And thats sticking to 2x10s.

That wont have been much help, but its a start.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Really Ashdown is one of the best deals for the quality.

On the Distortion--the ODB3 is really more of a fuzz/distortion pedal. It can be tweaked here and there, but I would give it a good listen via sound clips to see if that's the sound you want.