Hi everyone,

I've decided i'm going to customise a guitar I was once given, It's a 15 or so year old squire that's been sitting in pieces ever since I took it apart, This will no doubt be a long process as I need to buy things but I thought I'd write it up here for two reasons,

A) Anyone who wants to do the same thing can see what to do and learn from my mistakes

B) The people here who know what they're doing can point out anything wrong that i have at the start

Okay so here's the plan, I'm going to sand down the body, to get all of the black paint/lacquer off. I'm then going to give it a few coats of a basde colour picked by the guy who will be doing the artistic painting. Then My friend is going to paint the body, with wood paint, and the scratch plate, with plastic paint. The scratch plate will also be sprayed first. then, I'm going to get some spray on lacquer and go through the whole spray sand process. I was wondering if anyone could gove me some advice at this point.

Next i'm going to switch round the electronics, It's got a reasonably wired scratch plate at the moment, it just needs some new pups, so i'm going to buy three humbuckers from iron gear, I feel like I want to experiment with this giutar, so 3 humbuckers should be interesting. I'm then unsure wether I want to change the bridge or not, but the plan from here is to then screw everything back on and use the thing but I may also sand down the headstock and paint that the same colour as the body with some new tuners on it.

So I'm just asking if anyone has any comment, advice, changes I should make or paint job suggestions?

Thanks guys

-- Phan

(Zack)

Ps, I'm a complete noob at this, but I aim to help other noob's, thus why I shall document...
Last edited by phan at Sep 24, 2009,
okay, DO NOT sand the neck pocket out when you sand the body. bad idea.
for crazy electronics stuff look at the wiring thread, if you can come up with it, those guys can figure it out
my method is wetsand after every 2 coats of laquer, with 800 and then 1200 grit, and sand the final coat all the way up to 2000 grit. overkill, but it works.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
okay, DO NOT sand the neck pocket out when you sand the body. bad idea.
for crazy electronics stuff look at the wiring thread, if you can come up with it, those guys can figure it out
my method is wetsand after every 2 coats of laquer, with 800 and then 1200 grit, and sand the final coat all the way up to 2000 grit. overkill, but it works.

How many coats of laquer should I do?
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-wet-sanding.htm

basically, special kind of sandpaper that you wet with water and then sand.

EDIT: 6-7 coats is more than enough, 4-5 is probably enough.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
i dont get it, why do people allways take apart there guitars when they are old/unused?

i have 2 guitars that i dont use, but why would i take them apart? unless i needed the parts or something i guess... but still, wtf.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
I take it you are going with 3 rail style humbuckers if you want 3 hummers in that pickguard. If so, you can do what I did. I used the Guitar Fetish lil killer rails, but any 3 coil tapable hummers will work.

I got 3 DPDT on-on-on switches. They are wired to each pickup and allow each pickup to switch between parallel wiring, series wiring and single coil mode. I wired my middle pickup out of phase. I wired my 5 way switch so it goes bridge, bridge + neck, neck, middle and neck out of phase, and middle. It gives something like 24 different sounds and only requires making 3 small holes for the DPDT switches.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
I wouldn't do 3 humbuckers....that would just be too cluttered and they would most likely interfere with each other being so close together. I'm customizing a Squier, there is a link in my signature you can check out. I replaced a lot of stuff and have links to where I got most of it from.

I would definitely replace the bridge though, you can get a Mexican strat bridge assembly that will drop right in for less than $20.

Also, seriously, like stated above, do NOT sand the neck pocket haha.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
http://store.guitarfetish.com/casetof3lilk.html I think he means 3 humbuckers like that, thats what I went with.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by GeToChKn
http://store.guitarfetish.com/casetof3lilk.html I think he means 3 humbuckers like that, thats what I went with.

Gotcha...I did a full size humbucker in the bridge of my squier with singles in the middle and neck positions, and I love it. It's a real popular combo, something else to think about. The GFS pickups are cool though, that's not a bad choice at all.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
Quote by ATLstang
Gotcha...I did a full size humbucker in the bridge of my squier with singles in the middle and neck positions, and I love it. It's a real popular combo, something else to think about. The GFS pickups are cool though, that's not a bad choice at all.

Yeah I'm going with three all humbuckers, not full sized and tbh I probably won't wire them overcomplicated, I'd get it all mixed up and that's never good Also I should be uploading the sketch of the design soon once I can scan it in to the old computer, I think it looks quite nice. The dude who's doing it has picked a WW2 theme, He's doing it for his art project as well so I thought that I should let him pick :

Edit:

I'm also thinking of building a distortion pedal into he guitar and maybe a couple of other things, anyone got any suggestions?
Last edited by phan at Sep 25, 2009,
Quote by phan
Yeah I'm going with three all humbuckers, not full sized and tbh I probably won't wire them overcomplicated, I'd get it all mixed up and that's never good Also I should be uploading the sketch of the design soon once I can scan it in to the old computer, I think it looks quite nice. The dude who's doing it has picked a WW2 theme, He's doing it for his art project as well so I thought that I should let him pick :

Edit:

I'm also thinking of building a distortion pedal into he guitar and maybe a couple of other things, anyone got any suggestions?

I know a guy that put a phaser in his old strat. A killswitch would be fun, delay, mid boost....There are tons of things.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls