basically I am getting to the point in my playing where I need to be able to achieve all types of tones. I currently have a geddy lee jazz bass with extremely light strings. My music teacher has been talking to my parents a lot about music college (berklee) and basically she says I need THREE more basses in addition to an upright. Here is what I need

-4 string with an extremely warm tone for jazz/latin stuff
-a good 5 or 6 string
-a 4 string fretless

The max amount I am willing to spend is $1000 dollars on each. can you give me some good recommendations?
for the fretless: Schecter Stilleto Studio fretless, Fender Jazz fretless, maybe if you found a used Warwick (theres a Standard Corvette Fretless at my Guitar Center for like $900). The others I've had experience with are all sadly all $1500+

5/6 string: Schecter Stilleto Studio 5, maybe a nicer Ibanez (a BTB or a high end SR), Warwick Corvette $$ 5, for 6 strings I'd again say look into Ibanez and Schecter.
Well, after spending some time with mine I have to say that Schecter makes some damned nice basses, especially for what you pay. Their top-of-the-line Stiletto model is under $800, and will match most any mass-produced bass in build quality.

As I understand, Spector is the same way, and IMO Peavey and Traben are too. (Traben may be a bit too "metal" for college though)

Obviously there's always the Ibanez option...somebody had to say it. They do make great basses.

Really, though, most anything you get in this price range is going to be fine as long as it's not a Dean or Epi. A lot of the smaller brands have really great deals.

edit: Why won't your Geddy work for Jazz/Latin? Huh?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really don't see the need to get a 4 string and a 5/6 string. If you can find a 5/6 string with a nice warm tone, then you've killed two birds with one stone.

Especially since the 5/6 string options at the upper end of his budget are pretty versatile.

If your willing to spend $3000 on 3 basses, why not follow delirium's advice and extend your budget on the 5/6 string and the fretless. Then you might be able to look at more warwicks, or something like a MM fretless.
Quote by Tostitos
Especially since the 5/6 string options at the upper end of his budget are pretty versatile.

If your willing to spend $3000 on 3 basses, why not follow delirium's advice and extend your budget on the 5/6 string and the fretless. Then you might be able to look at more warwicks, or something like a MM fretless.

Heck, he can get a custom warwick 5 string corvette with a solid mahogany body and active electronics for a smidgen over the combined 4 string and 5/6 string budget. Mahogany is warm as, and the onboard active EQ and pickup blend control is very versatile for a 2 band EQ.
Quote by Mutant Corn

edit: Why won't your Geddy work for Jazz/Latin? Huh?

because I have ULTRA light strings on there and no matter how I EQ my bass and amp there is still a funky twang to it. I love this tone but it does not work for jazz well. you would understand if you played my bass.
or a Spector Euro 5 LX (drools) or a Tobias Growler 5 string, but they're not going to be as warm sounding as the mahogany.

EDIT: on the custom Warwick route, would bubinga work well for that warm sound, or would that be too expensive?
Last edited by Tostitos at Sep 24, 2009,
huh . . . and here I thought it was on the warmer end of the spectrum. Eh, exotics aren't really my expertise, I'll stick with being a simple alder and ash fanboy (hence the Spector/Tobias suggestions). Can't go wrong with an alder body
I would, as suggested, simply get a five string with a warm tone. A six-string would be your decision, the only thing I can say is go and try one and see what you think. I personally wouldn't, but many would.

A Fender American Standard P 5 would be a solid choice, as would the J, and if you wanted active, both the american deluxe variants are popular.

A Stingray 5 would be even better, in my utterly unbiased opinion.

Frankly however, if you've got $1500 to spend, the onus is on you going out and trying as many as possible, because your options range from Zons through to Spectors, without touching the extensive range of Ibanezes or even Warwick or Carvin's custom shops.

This is also assuming that your amp is up to the task, I don't know what you're using, but it may be worth assigning 1/3rd of your total budget to a fretless, a 5-string and then to an amp upgrade.

That said, thus far the extremely warm five-string have missed the 'mud-blower' itself:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Epiphone/Thunderbird-Pro-V.aspx

Terms and Conditions apply.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Check out Fender's Victor Bailey Jazz. Mahogany with a kao top, active electronics.

If comes into flavors you might be interested in -

4 string fretless - for your warm/fretless requirement
5 string fretted - for your warm/5 string requirement