I did something that many may find unorthodox but it worked for me.

Summary:

Bought a dreadnought 5 months ago, a Yamaha FG700. 5 months down the line my playing is leaning far more to fingerpicking than strumming. I've since gone back to the shop and played 2 amazing sounding smaller bodied guitars.

Parkwood PW 320
Guild GAD 30

Both guitars have IMO a really nice balanced tone with a prominent midrange.

Going back to my dreadnought I was disappointed in the rather "boxy boom and hard treble tizz" sound.

Problem, need to save a few months for a new smaller bodies guitar, what to do in the meantime.

Well I had on my Yamaha Dread a set of typical gauge strings so I put on a set of x-light strings. The number on the left is what I had, on the right is what I'm using now. They were and are phosphor bronze.

e: 0.012 to 0.010
B: 0.016 to 0.014
G: 0.024 to 0.023
D: 0.032 to 0.030
A: 0.042 to 0.039
E: 0.053 to 0.047

The result? While it's nowhere near as classy sounding as the more expensive smaller bodies guitars, I have no bass heavy boom, a softer treble and a far more open and prominent midrange. Obviously I've lost some pure raw power but I can live with this tonal balance while I save for a better guitar.

I figured I can't reduce the size of the box but I can reduce the gauge on the strings.. and as a temporary tide me over it's done the job!

I'm curious if anyone else has ever done similar?
In my experience, if you're going to go below the normal 12-54 light gauge, Martin Silk & Steel Folk strings are the way to go. Some people say they sacrifice tone for playability - but this is compared to a 12-54 set. Compared to the 10-47 sets, you get better tone with about the same playability. They have a "mellower" tone to them, so instead of just being really bright-sounding like a typical steel string set, they have this really balanced, almost classical/steel hybrid-like sound to them. And they're this really sexy silver/white color.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by i_don't_know
In my experience, if you're going to go below the normal 12-54 light gauge, Martin Silk & Steel Folk strings are the way to go. Some people say they sacrifice tone for playability - but this is compared to a 12-54 set. Compared to the 10-47 sets, you get better tone with about the same playability. They have a "mellower" tone to them, so instead of just being really bright-sounding like a typical steel string set, they have this really balanced, almost classical/steel hybrid-like sound to them. And they're this really sexy silver/white color.

This. I love those strings for fingerstyle.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
This. I love those strings for fingerstyle.

I love them too, but unfortunately I can't use them because I pick certain notes quite hard for added emphasis and dynamics, and the Folk strings buzz quite a bit when I do that. I think Martin should make a set in a 12-54 gauge as well as a 13-56 gauge. I would buy them for the rest of my life.