Ok Pit, I have thought up an idea to get myself a bit of money and get some experiance in business. Looking for flaws/critisicm, or anyone else who has done this.

There is an alternative club in my town you can hire out for prices begining with £50 for 80 people, with bar staff and security. I figure I can get the crappy bands from my old School who are still willing to work for nothing and just want experiance/fun. Now people off the street are not going to care a bit for them, however people from our School despite the bands not been very good will attend and have attended gigs they've done before, more than 80 I should add(1000 in school, plus other nearby schools too).

I figure I get a few bands on board, hire the place out midweek at £50(may be a bit higher), and then charge £5 a ticket(The school kids will just see it as a social type thing and I'm confident will pay that price), thus with 80 people I get £400, minus 100-150 for expenditure and I have 250-300 profit. The only flaw I see the venue may not want me charging people, but i don't know if they mind or not.

Seems like a good idea to me, the money will come in handy, I get social boost, and I'll get experiance. Weird seeing as I figured i'd be the guy playing up there one day, but that can be for the future.

Thoughts?
£50? No chance mate. That wouldnt even cover their electric bill. Minimum £200 and ive seen it before..great idea then hardly anyone turns up despite you trying like a bear to get everyone you know then people want freebies etc.

Why do you think the venue isnt putting on nights itself? Avoid.
You can usually rent out fairly cheaply, they will be expecting to take loads at the bar if people show up
Quote by JackalUK
You can usually rent out fairly cheaply, they will be expecting to take loads at the bar if people show up

this

but i certainly wouldnt charge a fiver.

i went to a gig night recently. 2 fairly good local bands £3 a head. there was about 200 there from our college, the bar made a killing. It cost's £100 to rent the room with the stage not a bad turn around if you know enough people. Just make sure you know what you are doing.
_____
MUSE
Quote by protest000
Quote by gillehy
Anyone agree there or am i on my own?
+
Quote by lucertia.
£50? No chance mate. That wouldnt even cover their electric bill. Minimum £200 and ive seen it before..great idea then hardly anyone turns up despite you trying like a bear to get everyone you know then people want freebies etc.

Why do you think the venue isnt putting on nights itself? Avoid.

The venue is putting on lots of nights on them selves, catering to students, however on tuedays and thursdays they have free. Lets even say £200, i'd still make 150 which isn't bad.

Also, I know for a fact that I could get 80 people, i've seen it done before where a crap band from my school played under a okayish but still small band at a local club, the place was PACKED with kids from my school, not one for the bigger band at te top of the bill.
I think it sounds like a good plan, but I would've thought you'd have to pay more than £50 to rent the place... & there is always the possibility of hardly anyone showing up, despite how much work you put in

EDIT: With reading other replies, you could probably pull it off
Last edited by _-Joey-_ at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by Bestykid
The venue is putting on lots of nights on them selves, catering to students, however on tuedays and thursdays they have free. Lets even say £200, i'd still make 150 which isn't bad.

Also, I know for a fact that I could get 80 people, i've seen it done before where a crap band from my school played under a okayish but still small band at a local club, the place was PACKED with kids from my school, not one for the bigger band at te top of the bill.

sure have heard that one before (ive had mates who ran pubs and nightclubs etc) good luck
Quote by lucertia.
sure have heard that one before (ive had mates who ran pubs and nightclubs etc) good luck

haha, okay I may be getting ahead of myself, but i'm fairly confident I could do it, even if i didn't get full capicity I think I could cover costs.
A girl did this in a club in my town, every wednesday night, it lasted like 4 or 5 weeks with about 10-20 people going a night, then her daddy must have gotten fed up of losing so much money and pulled the plug.
This is her by the way http://www.myspace.com/charlixcx
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Quote by rhysm
A girl did this in a club in my town, every wednesday night, it lasted like 4 or 5 weeks with about 10-20 people going a night, then her daddy must have gotten fed up of losing so much money and pulled the plug.
This is her by the way http://www.myspace.com/charlixcx

To be fair she doesn't seem like the most business orientated brain though does she?
My target if doing this would kids from my old high school, though I could attempt it for my Sixth form, but this would be much harder as my sixth form is HUGE and tighter social groups.
£5 is like $8 yeah? Cut that in almost half.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)