Page 1 of 2
Why is that all tube amp heads, or the ones that I totally GAS for, are all like 100W or more? For example, I have major GAS for a JSX, but 120W is ****ing loud and way too much headroom. I'd never be able to crank it.

Why then do people buy these heads that have such high power? I thought the point was to crank your tube amp, not have the master sitting at 1 all the time. The only thing I can think of is that they're only good for preamp distortion (drive knob) and you would never be able to get warm power tube distortion from it.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Because its suitable for live gigging.

Tubes gets their "BEST" tone when cranked, and loud volumes is a must for gigging musicians
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
It's from the days when amps weren't mic'd up through the PA, so Pete Townsend, Jimi Hendrix etc got massive 50 watt or 100 watt stacks to deafen their audiences.

Nowadays, even though you could play a stadium with a Zvex Nano, the volume and bass you get from 4x12 cabs makes at least a half-stack pretty essential for any major rock band.
for certain types of music you want high headroom and preamp distortion...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You've got a 50W tube amp already. The difference between that and 100/120 (in volume) isn't much.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Because, halfstacks, especially of the tube variety, are designed to be played loudly. They're not practice amps by any means.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Last edited by kaosxrocker at Sep 24, 2009,
Still there are people who jam in their room's with a huge ass 5150 half stack. I think unless you gig in huge areas they seem kind of pointless.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by soul.power
Still there are people who jam in their room's with a huge ass 5150 half stack. I think unless you gig in huge areas they seem kind of pointless.

As far as a 5150, you need to get it to at least '3' on the master before it sounds great, I'll give you that.

I'd like to point out that power tube saturation is not ideal for every situation (i.e. for br00t4lz, or if you want clean cleans) so 100w+ amps do have uses.

Also, not all tube amps sound bad at low volumes (the Soldano SLO comes to mind) and running one's amp balls-to-the-wall 24/7 isn't always possible, nor is it good for the amp in the long run.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
As far as a 5150, you need to get it to at least '3' on the master before it sounds great, I'll give you that.

I'd like to point out that power tube saturation is not ideal for every situation (i.e. for br00t4lz, or if you want clean cleans) so 100w+ amps do have uses.

Also, not all tube amps sound bad at low volumes (the Soldano SLO comes to mind) and running one's amp balls-to-the-wall 24/7 isn't always possible, nor is it good for the amp in the long run.

I found the SLO to be an amp that I thought was okay (much too bright) at lower volumes but incredible at stage volumes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by blue_strat
It's from the days when amps weren't mic'd up through the PA, so Pete Townsend, Jimi Hendrix etc got massive 50 watt or 100 watt stacks to deafen their audiences.

Nowadays, even though you could play a stadium with a Zvex Nano, the volume and bass you get from 4x12 cabs makes at least a half-stack pretty essential for any major rock band.

Typically only 1 speaker gets mic'd and micing more of them wont add the same feeling you get from standing in front of your halfstack into the PA system. This still makes it unnecessary in terms of what the audience should/will hear.

It does make for better stage monitoring I suppose and some people just really like the feeling of being on stage and facing their amp for a few seconds while they play. Cant blame them, it is a pretty badass feeling.

And also, in a full band mix a very bassy guitar will sound muddy because it would be competing with the bass player who's job it is to cover the bass part of the mix.

I have no negative feelings towards halfstacks or people that use them. They are pretty sweet. My 1x12 combo leaves little for me to desire, though.

EDIT: by the way, TS - attenuators can work miracles for high wattage amps that need some volume control. Note that I am talking about QUALITY attenuators. Something with a speaker motor, not resistor based units. I hear so little tone loss with my Weber Mini Mass 50 that I find it pretty easy to fix with some compensated EQing.

On the other hand, I've heard from some people here that the re-amping method works even better than an attenuator, though it might cost you more.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Last edited by Bright Light at Sep 24, 2009,
I play a 120w Halfstack because how else am I gonna give every female in the room a simultaneous orgasm? Soundwaves, my friend. Soundwaves.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
100 watts of tube is not too much for jamming with my mates. I can however drown them if I give it all she has but I use 3/4 to 7/8 of 100% when we do an un-miced mix. I practice with the same rig unless people are home. Then its Epi Valve JR. time.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Headroom.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by soul.power
Why is that all tube amp heads, or the ones that I totally GAS for, are all like 100W or more? For example, I have major GAS for a JSX, but 120W is ****ing loud and way too much headroom. I'd never be able to crank it..

So if it's too loud why are you gassing for it? Buy the smaller combo version.

Quote by soul.power
Why then do people buy these heads that have such high power? I thought the point was to crank your tube amp, not have the master sitting at 1 all the time. The only thing I can think of is that they're only good for preamp distortion (drive knob) and you would never be able to get warm power tube distortion from it.

Because some of us play in places besides our bedrooms. Not saying it's not OK to play in the bedroom, I sure do a lot of it but when you're playing out, rock and roll is supposed to be loud Bro.
if ya have the cash, the JSX sounds pretty good at low volumes

in my case a 4/12 halfstack is a little excessive, but the 2/12 would be pretty decent.

otherwise, go for the 2 channel 50w JSX
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
why do all the kick ass cars have lots of horse power? why can't you get all the options on something with only 120 hp? why doesn't a car with 500 hp go 4 times faster than a car with 125 hp. you answer these questions and apply the answers to amps and you'll have a better clue.

the point is for people who like the sound of a cranked tube amp get lower powered amps, and the people who don't like power tube saturation to run amps with like 100 watts. louder<>better with guitar amps unless that is the way YOU like it. **** us and our opinions, it only matters what you want. but that last sentence is kinda right, you can run it loud enough for power amp distortion, but it would be awfully loud. master is usually run around 2 or 3 to get the tubes sounding good, power amp distortion starts taking it's toll around 6 or so(at least that is way it works on my sunn and thd), playing with your amp at 1 kinda sounds dull(but some people may like it).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
to tell the truth, halfstack look Waaaaaaaaaaaay cooler then a combo
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
halstacks are cool as ****.
and i agree with everyone who has said that.
headroom
preamp gain for metal
better bass response via 412
and the sex factor... it makes your penis' girth at least 12x that of its original state
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
the JSX combo has a half power switch so you can switch it from 120 watt's to 60 watt's.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

1 watt killer ant head ftw
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Dynamic response.

Volume.

Some amps are only made as said 50/100w heads. Like a Plexi.

Metal especially uses a poweramp with a lot of headroom.

That said, I like the 5-20w amps, and there is so much quality in that power band that it's becoming less necessary to own an enormous head for the sake of the tone you want.
Lmao
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by steve!
1 watt killer ant head ftw

.1 watt London Power Studio FTW.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Peavey Mace Head 320W FTW
Quote by angusfan16
the orange tiny terror is an awesome 15 watt tube amp head. and they have a version of it thats also 30 watts
Quote by soul.power
Why is that all tube amp heads, or the ones that I totally GAS for, are all like 100W or more? For example, I have major GAS for a JSX, but 120W is ****ing loud and way too much headroom. I'd never be able to crank it.
uh...

Why then do people buy these heads that have such high power?
more headroom, tighter bass, more dynamic response
I thought the point was to crank your tube amp, not have the master sitting at 1 all the time.
that is a huge generalization.
The only thing I can think of is that they're only good for preamp distortion (drive knob) and you would never be able to get warm power tube distortion from it.
most modern high gain heads are built with a lot of power to avoid early break up.
Quote by mmolteratx
.1 watt London Power Studio FTW.

I was going to mention the 1/4 watt setting of the Vox AC4, but I cant compete with .1 watts.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by soul.power

you've got a 50 watt tube amp. if you're happy with it's volume you'll be happy with a 100 watt head. double the wattage =/= double the volume. itll be maybe 25% louder
Quote by soul.power

Not all types of music need a "cranked" amp to get suitable tone. More extreme styles require much more preamp distortion, and a lot of clean headroom to keep things tight.

Seems like you GAS for amps designed with this in mind
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Because if you put that much watts in a combo it would kills itself to the death... Or would it?
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Ethanb08
Because if you put that much watts in a combo it would kills itself to the death... Or would it?

there are many 100 watt combos.
Quote by soul.power

The JSX actually sounds great at low volumes as well as high volumes. It's a master volume amp so you can set the master to 10 and the channel volume to 1-2 and get seriously thick high gain tones at low volume. Naturally it sounds better the more you turn it up, but it sounds good at low volumes too. (Unlike many high wattage high gain tube amps)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
headroom

remember that 100w is really only twice as loud as 10w
one name comes to mind

THD hotplate.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Page 1 of 2