After trying to solve this problem myself, i decided I need a little bit more help than just from me. So here's the story;

At first, I had a good band. Myself, a good drummer who was willing to play whatever and was glad just to be in a band, and a bassist that I taught who also enjoyed it. We were doing good until we found a rhythm guitarist. I thought he would be good to play with because I knew him well, and I thought he would enjoy it too. Unfortunately, he wanted to solo too, and when I let him, he thought he was friggin' amazing, but really he sucked horribly. He couldn't identify keys and solo accordingly, and his playing was very sloppy. Of course, he thought he sounded good, and my other bandmates didn't really know how bad he was because when he solo'd for them, he did it without any backing music, so it was always in key. That's when problems started to arise.

My bassist, whom I taught, was not practicing what I showed him, so I ended up teaching him what to do EVERY practice. I kicked him out after telling him why, and he was cool about it. So then i began searching for another bassist. And soon after, i kicked out my guitarist too. I knew people who could replace them both, and both of them were better than their former counterparts. But then I had another problem.

My drummer got a job, quit my band because he said he couldn't handle the stress, and now I don't have a drummer. Then recently, I found out that he and the other bandmates I kicked out because of their lack of ability had made a band that plays emo songs, which is what they all wanted to play. I would be fine with that, except my drummer lied to me, and i found out the guitarist I had lined up joined their band instead.

So now, I only have a bassist (who is INSANELY good. He plays primus and rush, and also knows how to play the Cello). I came to the conclusion that I should find people who like to play what I like to play, but because of the popular genre of music now (or "crap" as I like to call it) and the obscure, 80's rock and expiremental music I like, these people are insanely hard to find.

Does anybody know an easy way to find people who have the same taste in music as myself, and also know how to play guitar and drums?
Start out with just some casual jam sessions, don't take things so seriously.
Quote by blizzboy
Start out with just some casual jam sessions, don't take things so seriously.

That's how we started out. Just some jamming with a few friends, but the idea of playing for people seemed like a good one to all of us, so we got a gig for a graduation party, had fun, and then the struggles for creative control began, and now here we are.
Quote by Highwaytohell
I dont see it as a major problem. Just find a new drummer and move on.

It's a problem because I have to find a drummer that likes what I like and a new guitarist who also likes the same stuff. And like I said, that's nearly impossible when everyone loves emo music now.
Not necisserily. My drummer is a mathcore/deathcore freak- but he loves playing our music (we're more of a stoner metal meets motorhead outfit). So long as a drummer wants to be in your band your find. Just jam and see what happens. Have you considered a three piece?
Quote by Highwaytohell
Not necisserily. My drummer is a mathcore/deathcore freak- but he loves playing our music (we're more of a stoner metal meets motorhead outfit). So long as a drummer wants to be in your band your find. Just jam and see what happens. Have you considered a three piece?

Ok, but around where I live, nearly everyone gets their drum "skills" from Rockband, and thinks they're amazing. Also, we tried a three piece in the beginning, before we had our old rhythm guitarist, and we kept wanting to play AC/DC and stuff like that, but we needed a rhythm guitarist to do so.
Quote by GSKashmir
Ok, but around where I live, nearly everyone gets their drum "skills" from Rockband, and thinks they're amazing.

A lot of people seem to blame their location when they get questioned. Where do you live? Silicon Valley?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Where's the singer? Where's the band?

A singer is not required in a band. Think of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, or Buckethead. Of course, if need be, I sing occasionally, and everyone says I do fine. So, meh. Also, the "where's the band?" thing, that's the problem I'm having. That's why I came here.
Quote by GSKashmir
A singer is not required in a band. Think of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, or Buckethead. Of course, if need be, I sing occasionally, and everyone says I do fine. So, meh. Also, the "where's the band?" thing, that's the problem I'm having. That's why I came here.

I know those musicians are incredibly popular, spawning a sense into the mainstream of the impending "instrumental band crush" that will destroy Beyonce's career, but you may want to consider a band where someone sings, so that you'll be able to get gigs, and will make people want to stay in your band.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
A lot of people seem to blame their location when they get questioned. Where do you live? Silicon Valley?

I live in South Central Pennsylvania. There is nothing to do outside, so everyone either plays Xbox, works, or sleeps. I decided to make better use of my time.
Quote by AlanHB
I know those musicians are incredibly popular, spawning a sense into the mainstream of the impending "instrumental band crush" that will destroy Beyonce's career, but you may want to consider a band where someone sings, so that you'll be able to get gigs, and will make people want to stay in your band.

Agreed
Unless you are a jazz, ambient, world or a classical outfit (I know thats alot but think of all the OTHER genres), playing instrumental music really does not resonate with people. Unless you are creme de la creme and unbelievable and doing completely crazy new things- people aren't going to like it. Learn to sing. There is something about the human voice that people identify with, and love. Lyrics are integral.
Do you think Satch and Vai started out playing thier impendingly crazy acclaimed instrumental music? no they didnt. It took years for them to get that good. So strap it down kid. You're playing AC/DC. Get a singer and stop whining about the people around you. Go on craigslist and other music websites and take the fight live.
These are the things that make it easy to find players who want to play with you:

1 - You have a reputation as a great player (could be)
2 - You have a reputation as a great team member (might not be doing so well here from your story)
3 - You have something that is basically ready to pull out of the box, tighten the screws, and take out to the public. This could be a completed album, a demo of some great original songs written and completed, or even a great setlist that people will get behind because they know audiences will get behind it. (not in your case, from your story)
4 - You present yourself professionally and in a way that inspires both confidence, comfort and commitment from other players. (you're not coming across like that to me)

So, you are missing three of those four things. (another thing that could go on the list is a guaranteed paycheque, but that's beyond the scope of this thread....)

What you can you do to address those deficiencies?

1. Make sure you come across as someone people want to play with. You almost sound like a person to avoid... a control freak, etc.
2. Broaden your musical horizons. You might call it selling out, but you could also call it successfully putting together a band. It might, at least, help you with #3.....
3. Establish a reputation as a player that has it together and can network like crazy. That inspires confidence in other players for your abilities.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by GSKashmir
I live in South Central Pennsylvania. There is nothing to do outside, so everyone either plays Xbox, works, or sleeps. I decided to make better use of my time.

I've never been to South Central Pennsylvania, but what you say cannot be true. Live, Fuel and Poison all come from your area, and you've mentioned quite a few musicians in your thread already.

However it may be completely possible that all your friends do is play Xbox, work and sleep, so go make some other friends.
Soundcloud
Stop acting like your better than everyone else, for a start. All you've done in this thread is insult your former bandmates' abilities and taste in music, and elevated yourself above other people in your state who wasted their time and got jobs. The horror! Working for a living!

As for living in a place where there are apparently no musicians, and then asking us for advice, well, I have a novel idea that nobody has ever suggested before. See, everyone here knows magic, and we can make great musicians who will never stand up for themselves and will play what their told just magically appear out of the ether. You should try that.
The ways to find musicians are obvious. If it's not working, there's something wrong with you, not the musicians. Same goes for guys who can't find girlfriends.
Quote by koslack
The ways to find musicians are obvious. If it's not working, there's something wrong with you, not the musicians. Same goes for guys who can't find girlfriends.

My girlfriend is a musician so I'm a double win
Soundcloud
So what your saying is that you think your better than everyone else in your town and your other band mates suck because they decided that they wanted to play music they like, which you have no right to call 'crap'. If you like metal or whatever then find people, ask everyone if they play an instrument or know someone who does and just rinse and repeat till you find someone who likes playing your style of music.
The answer to this is obviously community posts.
Post on your local craigsllist, local area on your myspace,etc or get an ad in the paper.
all you have to say is "looking for a drummer an guitarist, preferably someone who likes XXXXXXX, call steve at 294-666-9284 if interested" simple as that, then wait and have auditions once people reply
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]