hey, im looking to buy an electric guitar because there's just stuff you cant do on an acoustic guitar. what would be a good electric guitar to get? i would consider myself an intermediate acoustic guitarist/bassist and i want to play classic rock, like peter frampton and the eagles.
my gear:
sansamp liverpool
sansamp gt2
fender standard strat
squire vintage modified precision bass
laguna sunburst bass
acoustic b100
ehx bass big muff pi
i doesnt really matter to me, i just want to have a good idea of what to maybe save up for.
my gear:
sansamp liverpool
sansamp gt2
fender standard strat
squire vintage modified precision bass
laguna sunburst bass
acoustic b100
ehx bass big muff pi
A gibson les paul or sg maybe? There's tons of good guitars out there, you just have to find one that suits you! =D
Go to a local music store and try a bunch out.
~Carl
if that's the case, go and check out some les pauls, sg's or even some stratocasters. I personally like Washburn guitars and at some degree Ibanez, but I'm not sure those will suit the style you're aiming, nontheless, give the Idol series by Washburn a try, those are quite versatile.
Beau, oui, comme Bowie
Put it this way - you can get a guitar from any price ranging from £50-5000. depending on what you have to spend will depend on the quality of guitar you get (up to a point)

first thing you should do though is get a good idea of what guitars you like the feel of. LP's strats and all manner of other all feel very different to play. Your best bet is to go to a store, tell the people you don't much about electrics and try as many different body shapes as you can (by and large body shape indicates the way it plays, most lp's play like lp's most strats play like strats) once you decide what type suits you come back for more advice.
There are two points you should consider when looking for your first electric guitar:

1. Your first electric guitar is a weird thing since it's nothing like an acoustic. Most people look for different things in electrics and acoustics. The style is different so you'll probably want different characteristics. You'll probably go into a store and try some out, and decide that on is more comfortable than another, but your coming from an acoustic guitar background. You can only find a good electric guitar that suits you after you've been playing electric guitar for a while and you understand your needs as an electric guitar player, not as an acoustic guitar player.

2. A lot of people will recommend a guitar based on who you like. But in reality, most guitars will sound good for most genres. The exception is single coils which do not handle gain very well. Humbuckers sound good clean and with a lot of distortion. Most guitars come with humbuckers. I recommend getting something cheap ($300-500) just to see what you're looking for. At that price, you'll get something that's alright, not great nor terrible. After playing electric for a while and trying different ones, you'll figure out what you really want in a guitar. Right now, just get the most comfortable guitar you can find. That partly goes against what I said in my first point but that's all you can go by right now. Don't worry about brand or anything because you can pretty much play any style of music on any guitar. There's nothing wrong with playing classic rock on a LTD or Ibanez.
my advice is just go and try a load out, you'll find one that stands out from the rest as far as your tastes go
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
if u like frampton and eagles, go with a fender strat. frampton uses one. depending on ur budget u could go with an american standard (about $1700) or just a standard strat (about $700). i own a deluxe players strat with the noisless pickups and i love it

EDIT: and like jelifish said, if u want to play more of a classic rock genre, go with single coils like the strat, whereas if u want something more hard rock like acdc, go with a les paul or an sg cause those have the humbuckers
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Sep 24, 2009,