I think, that now I have an amp I really enjoy and a guitar which feels nice it's about time I made the sound match the feel.

Here's some info:
What for: My Epi' LP to replace the stock, microphonic pickups
Why: Stock's are microphonic and give me a lot of feedback and tend to muddy up quite quickly
Other Gear: (at the moment) Guitar -> Boss GE-7 -> Marshall JCM900 MKIII
Genre's: Hard rock / punk. I want a pickup that will give me a lot of bite and clarity for some cool rock riffs but still sound good for some simple power chord bashing
Budget: I would prefer a cheaper option but I'm going to be saving so this will just go on my list of stuff to buy in the next few months (2 jobs ftw!)

What I've considered:
- Bareknuckle Black Dog's
- SD JB & 59

That's about it really, I need some suggestions. What are the companies run by UG'ers?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

check out the Dimarzio Breed and the SD SH-5
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
BareKnuckles are said to be great, but they aren't widely available as other pickups. The SD TB-5 and TB-6 are higher output than the TB-4 and more suited for your playing style. These pickups tend to have more treble though and have a little less bass. The '59 is usually placed in the neck position and is more of a vintage output pickup.
Last edited by punker_7970 at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by enselmis
Bareknuckle anything really. It doesnt matter much which ones, but to be honest, EVERYTHING is subpar compared to BK's.

Haha, that's almost very true. Stephen Designs pickups tend to sound sweeter than are far more responsive than BKP.

However, I find Bare Knuckles to be amazing enough already, and yes, a lot of brands of pickups sound sad when compared to a BKP. Almost anything from the big 3 manufacturers cannot even compare to a BKP.

In response to your question... why not a Rebel Yell signature set?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by enselmis
Bareknuckle anything really. It doesnt matter much which ones, but to be honest, EVERYTHING is subpar compared to BK's.
lol what?

of course it's just my opinion but imo...

wolfetone dr. vintage, throbak sle, stephen designs vintage lab, jim rolphs, wcr crossroads are all at least as good as the bareknuckle's paf offerings.

not that bareknuckles aren't great pickups. I like the mules and I especially like the black dogs, but saying "everything is subpar compared to bk's" only tells me that you very likely don't have experience with high end pickups outside of bk.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by al112987
lol what?

of course it's just my opinion but imo...

wolfetone dr. vintage, throbak sle, stephen designs vintage lab, jim rolphs, wcr crossroads are all at least as good as the bareknuckle's paf offerings.

not that bareknuckles aren't great pickups. I like the mules and I especially like the black dogs, but saying "everything is subpar compared to bk's" only tells me that you very likely don't have experience with high end pickups outside of bk.

heh heh heh...

I was wondering when you'd post that.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
heh heh heh...

I was wondering when you'd post that.
Of course I'd come plowing in spouting about other boutique pickups, I do like the Bareknuckle Black Dogs a lot though and might pick up a set myself.

I don't care for higher output pickups, so I'm not going to say anything about BKP's high output offerings, but I don't really feel like their PAF style pickups are any better than any other boutique brand. Truth be told, I think they're all on a similar level, they just all sound slightly different from each other, my Wolfetones are not really better than my WCRs but I do like the change and appreciate the differences.

Except for Throbak and Stephens Designs, imo those two are in a class of their own.
Quote by al112987
Of course I'd come plowing in spouting about other boutique pickups.

Haha, you misunderstand, I was actually referring to this statement ...

Quote by al112987
but saying "everything is subpar compared to bk's" only tells me that you very likely don't have experience with high end pickups outside of bk.

Heh heh, I was just waiting for you to come in and make that one statement in defence of the other brands. I just didn't want to make that statement becuase when compared to you, my experience with the other brands of custom pickup makers is limited.

Quote by al112987
I don't care for higher output pickups, so I'm not going to say anything about BKP's high output offerings, but I don't really feel like their PAF style pickups are any better than any other boutique brand. Truth be told, I think they're all on a similar level, they just all sound slightly different from each other, my Wolfetones are not really better than my WCRs but I do like the change and appreciate the differences.

Except for Throbak and Stephens Designs, imo those two are in a class of their own.

I agree with the comments on the Throbak and Stephen Designs, their work is on a whole different level. Actually Jim Wagner's work is no less impressive and unique, but his pup just don't do it for me.

For me, the BKP high output pups are a perfect match to what I want in a pickup, so I consider them slightly higher above the other boutique guys, but that's just me. Afterall, its not exactly easy to find a product which is an almost perfect match to what one wants, right?

As a point I just realised, your posts reminds me of the first time we had a post exchange and butt opinions about custom wound pups .
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 24, 2009,
Just an idea, but if you have 2 jobs and think you will have some money for upgrading, have you considered replacing your guitar with a real LP? I spose a nice boutique set of pups can improve even the nicer Gibson LP's pups, but the rest of the epi isn't as nice, will you be putting lipstick on a pig?
Quote by Chetbango
Just an idea, but if you have 2 jobs and think you will have some money for upgrading, have you considered replacing your guitar with a real LP? I spose a nice boutique set of pups can improve even the nicer Gibson LP's pups, but the rest of the epi isn't as nice, will you be putting lipstick on a pig?
In a sense... yes, and I personally would never even dream of putting a set of $450 Throbaks in an Epi, I won't even think of putting a set into my les paul studio, but a good set of pickups can improve almost any guitar, especially replacing Epi pickups.
Quote by ragingkitty
Haha, you misunderstand, I was actually referring to this statement ...

Heh heh, I was just waiting for you to come in and make that one statement in defence of the other brands. I just didn't want to make that statement becuase when compared to you, my experience with the other brands of custom pickup makers is limited.

I agree with the comments on the Throbak and Stephen Designs, their work is on a whole different level. Actually Jim Wagner's work is no less impressive and unique, but his pup just don't do it for me.

For me, the BKP high output pups are a perfect match to what I want in a pickup, so I consider them slightly higher above the other boutique guys, but that's just me. Afterall, its not exactly easy to find a product which is an almost perfect match to what one wants, right?

As a point I just realised, your posts reminds me of the first time we had a post exchange and butt opinions about custom wound pups .
One thing I like about BKP and WCR is that tehy do make a wide range of pickups for all styles which a lot of other makers, especially high end pickup winders won't do or don't really do all that well. But BKP are great no doubt, and Tim Mills is great, back when I was looking for a set of pickups I was very close to pulling the trigger on a set of Black Dogs and he gave me a lot of great info without any of that "why you should buy mine over his"

I do agree about the thing about Wagner's though, his pickups really kind of cater to a certain taste, but if you're someone into the early Allman Brothers tone, he's your man. Though a lot of the guys on the LPF are liking the Sheptone Blue Sky set for that sound as well.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 25, 2009,
Quote by Chetbango

Epis aren't that bad. This is coming from a guy who owns 2 Gibsons.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx

Epis aren't that bad. This is coming from a guy who owns 2 Gibsons.

Yeah, all Epi's are not bad, and you can easily find examples of Epi's that play better than some Gibsons. And Gibson quality control leaves something to be desired, a pro set-up is practically required on all but the priciest Custom Shop Gibsons. But the wood, hardware and other electronics are generally inferior.
Quote by Chetbango
Yeah, all Epi's are not bad, and you can easily find examples of Epi's that play better than some Gibsons. And Gibson quality control leaves something to be desired, a pro set-up is practically required on all but the priciest Custom Shop Gibsons. But the wood, hardware and other electronics are generally inferior.

Yes, they are. But the quality of pretty much everything Gibson has slipped tremendously in the last few years. All of the last few Gibsons I played were absolute crap. The wood didn't resonate very good, the hardware was buzzing, the pickups were muddy, etc. If the TS were to go looking for a used LP from a few years ago for cheap, I would recommend that but I definitely wouldn't recommend getting a new one, especially at current prices.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Chetbango

I would have considered that. But for a start, I can't find a gibson with the same finish my Epi has, and with some BK's in my Epi will only have cost me £400 (£250 for the guitar used and £150 for a set of BK's) whereas the price of a Gibson would be £700+ and thats for a studio which when I played one I didn't really think it was much more than the Epi
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Personally, if your thinking about upgrading the pickups in your epi, i'd be looking at upgrading the wiring too. you'd be surprised at how good a cheaper set of Tonerider or even GFS pickups will sound along with upgraded wiring & caps. Ive recently put a set of Tonerider alnico IV's with a 'vintage' wiring kit from http://bcsguitars.com/ into my epi LP custom - and i am very happy with the outcome. there are other makers off these type wiring & cap kits out there too, ebay has loads. just a thought before you going putting a set of $300+ pickups into a guitar with $3 worth of wire and switches...
I'd suggest the RS vintage kit, mostly for the RS custom superpots the taper is much better than your typical CTS pots.
Quote by al112987
I'd suggest the RS vintage kit, mostly for the RS custom superpots the taper is much better than your typical CTS pots.

+1

on the rs kits.. I got the premium modern upgrade kit for my Vintage lemon drop and the difference was startling.. the clarity and output and clarity improved drastically.