Whenever I use the distortion to play heavier music, it sounds so thin. The low e string has no bulk behind it.

I just bought this amp recently and it seemed like it was working fine a few weeks ago. I'm wondering why it sounds like this now?

Does anyone know?

Thanks if you can help
eqs most likely. what are your eqs?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by wakekid2001
its the strings, try sum ernie ball power slinkies, or adjust your bass and mid

Ijust changed the strings to those ones, and it still sounds awful

As for EQ, I am using the same settings I did a few weeks ago where it sounded really good. Now it sounds like crap.

Is this a sign that I need to change the tubes? If so, how do i know if i have to change the preamp tubes or the power tubes?

thanks =/
Switch around the preamp tubes, see if that helps. If it does, time to change your V1 preamp tube.

If you volume is still fine and without heavy microphonics I doubt the power tubes are to blame.
WTLTL 2011
just post ya settings too. and it may be a preamp tube. but check your powers whilt it is on
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Sounds like a valve problem to me if it was working fine one day and then crapped out the next.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Well on the inside theres this little knob on the inside beside those 4 power tubes, take off the back thing and turn it all the counterclock wise, it biases the amp warmer, and the amp is set cold out of the factory. However this knob has a very small sweep so theres no way you can destroy your tubes, unless they are exceptionally hot or malfunctioning.

Also if you a mid scooper ( I used to be, but i grew out of that phase) maybe you should try giving it some mids, it can help thicken it a bunch.

Also if it the tone was nice awhile back, put some new strings on, because new strings are normally brighter and less dull sounding than old ones, unless you just put new strings on then your just used to old strings, in which case all i can say is just play a bunch till they get that used old sound.

It could be tubes like everyone else is saying, such as a bad preamp tube, or they are getting worn out.

Another thing you can do which I did is the bias mod. You will need a 6.8K 1/4 watt resistor (you can get like 25 off ebay for like $3) and a sauder iron (if you have one that helps) then you need a bais probe (which you can get from euro tubes) and a multimeter which you can get from radio shack, euro tubes, Ebay, and many other places.

WARNING YOU COULD GET SHOCKED AND YOU COULD DIE OR GET SERIOUS INJURYS
Aside from that warning, it is generally easy if you have some experience saudering.
What you need to do is take the amp chasis out and flip it over set it down upside down on the transformers, then find the bias pot on the other side with the circut boards and what not, It has its own small circut board. On this circut board there is a resistor, and resistors look like this:

So you need to sauder it out use some sort of small pliers to grab cause suadering is hot. Then bend the new resitors wire ends so it will fit where the old one was and sauder it in.

Now pull out the first power tube (with some sort of glove on that wont leave residue like rubber or latex) then put the bias port in and the power tube in the port and put the pot at about 1/2 way or all the way clock wise. Plug the bias port into the multimeter swithc it to like 200mA setting. Switch the amp on to standby for about 10-15 mins then, turn it on and turn the bias pot till the multimeter reads about 36-38mA, I have mine set at 38.1-38.3mA. However after doing this your tubes will burn out faster than normal, but thats because they are being run hotter but they sound better. You can bias the amp cold still however, Just dont go to hot or you may brun your tubes out.

Sorry for wall of text...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Ethanb08
Well on the inside theres this little knob on the inside beside those 4 power tubes, take off the back thing and turn it all the counterclock wise... [modding instructions]

Sorry for wall of text...

Its just a bad tube, you really shouldn't have to go this far.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Its just a bad tube, you really shouldn't have to go this far.

True, but the bias mod makes it sound better imo...lol
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust