Ive been playing for about 7 years now and i haven't made the transition to tubes yet because i would call myself an effects junkie and i had questions about tube amps before i buy one.

1. I have a clean tone on my pedals which i would like to use on the tube amp but since cranking up the volume on the amp creates distortion, how can i have that same full clean tone with chorus and all the effects without breaking up the sound? (I know some of you are thinking, "BACK OFF THE VOLUME ON YOUR GUITAR", but wouldn't that remove some of its tone?

2. Whats up with this tube biasing stuff?

3. I have all my pedals set up to solid state, in switching to tube, would i have to lower the distortion on the pedals so i could have the same sound that came out of my solid state? (In terms of how much distortion comes out with the added tube distortion)
What amp are you looking at?
You only really have to worry about your clean tone distorting if you use a low wattage amp at high volumes.
Power tubes only break up at higher volumes (in respect to their wattage).
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
2. Biasing is the act of increasing the voltage on the grid in the tube. The grid regulates the flow of electrons from the cathode to the plate. That flow of electron is critical to how your power tube amplifies the signal from the preamp section.

As each tube is built to different specs, the voltage that is required to flow through the grid differs from tube to tube (yes, even within the same brand, series and batches of tubes).

Bias it too cold, and your sound breaks up (distorts) very early, and sounds cold, sterile and unresponsive.

Bias it too hot and while it increases your headroom, it kills your tubes faster.

3. Huh? The amount of gain differs from amp to amp. A gain or drive level of 3 on a Fender Twin is very different from a gain or drive level of 3 on a Mesa Dual Rectifier.

Similarly, even between solidstate amps, the gain level differs between 2 amps. Hence when you move to a tube amp, a gain level of 3 on one tube amp could be lower than on your solidstate, while on a different amp, it could be higher than your solidstate.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by LaidBack
What amp are you looking at?
You only really have to worry about your clean tone distorting if you use a low wattage amp at high volumes.
Power tubes only break up at higher volumes (in respect to their wattage).

I was thinking about getting about a mesa triple recto or something along the lines of that.
Quote by jamespweb
I was thinking about getting about a mesa triple recto or something along the lines of that.

What genres of music do you usually play?

A triple recto is quite a specialized piece of equipment, and not one I'd generally associate with an effects junkie .
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
What genres of music do you usually play?

A triple recto is quite a specialized piece of equipment, and not one I'd generally associate with an effects junkie .

I mostly play lead soloing with (But not limited to) fast metal riffs or alternative progressions. Then i would back off and use clean with chorus or phasers for slow songs.
Which amplifier would best suit me?
Quote by jamespweb
I mostly play lead soloing with (But not limited to) fast metal riffs or alternative progressions. Then i would back off and use clean with chorus or phasers for slow songs.
Which amplifier would best suit me?

Don't get me wrong, Mesa makes great amps, but I didn't like the sound of the Triple Recto.

If it were left to me, I'd recommend you try the Single Rectifier as well.

I find the triple recto a little too harsh and very very "chugga chugga chugga chugga" oriented. Until today, I automatically think of metalcore when I hear of the triple recto. That said, you could find it suitable to your needs.

In contrast Dual recto, IMO, is a very rhythm-oriented amp, however, I find that the sound and tone of the Single Rectifier is more singing and lead playing oriented. The Single Recto has sufficiently high gain for metal and good cleans for most songs, though I did not find the clean channel of the Single Recto to be as warm as I would have liked it.

Only Mesa or other brands too?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Don't get me wrong, Mesa makes great amps, but I didn't like the sound of the Triple Recto.

If it were left to me, I'd recommend you try the Single Rectifier as well.

I find the triple recto a little too harsh and very very "chugga chugga chugga chugga" oriented. Until today, I automatically think of metalcore when I hear of the triple recto. That said, you could find it suitable to your needs.

In contrast Dual recto, IMO, is a very rhythm-oriented amp, however, I find that the sound and tone of the Single Rectifier is more singing and lead playing oriented. The Single Recto has sufficiently high gain for metal and good cleans for most songs, though I did not find the clean channel of the Single Recto to be as warm as I would have liked it.

Only Mesa or other brands too?

As of right now, im willing to try anything under 2 g's which can process all my effects but give me that warmth which most claim is the heart of all tube amps.
Quote by jamespweb
As of right now, im willing to try anything under 2 g's which can process all my effects but give me that warmth which most claim is the heart of all tube amps.

2 g of what??? 2 Gs of gravity or 2000 rupees?

I am thinking of a ENGL Powerball, and if you are willing to go used a Mark IV. If you can stretch a little for the tax and shipping, you can not go wrong with a Mark V. How about a Marshall JVM?

What styles of metal do you play? Since the Marks might be a little overkill for chugga chugga.

Have you considered Kranks? The Rev series are pretty cool, although the clean channel is a little fat.

An alternative you can consider if you only use cleans and high gain is an ENGL Fireball.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
2 g of what??? 2 Gs of gravity or 2000 rupees?

I am thinking of a ENGL Powerball, and if you are willing to go used a Mark IV. If you can stretch a little for the tax and shipping, you can not go wrong with a Mark V. How about a Marshall JVM?

What styles of metal do you play? Since the Marks might be a little overkill for chugga chugga.

Have you considered Kranks? The Rev series are pretty cool, although the clean channel is a little fat.

An alternative you can consider if you only use cleans and high gain is an ENGL Fireball.

Wow that engl powerball is aesthetically pleasing and i looked it up on youtube and im impressed and sold out, Time to start saving!!! lol. Thanks alot ragingkitty.
Quote by jamespweb
Wow that engl powerball is aesthetically pleasing and i looked it up on youtube and im impressed and sold out, Time to start saving!!! lol. Thanks alot ragingkitty.

Wow, now I'm actually making recommendations that people find useful.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )