i have been playing guitar for about three years now.i taught myself how to play so i really didn't get very much instruction from anybody..(no lessons)
i mostly love to just play the guitar and just play noting and mess around.
i am learning techniques like alternate picking, sweeping and tapping.
but i want to get a real understanding of the guitar and i heard that you have to do things with guitar theory to understand it.

so i was wandering if anybody could give me some lessons, tips or just things i need to learn to be decent at the guitar. i still want to work on techniques so if you have any important techniques that i should learn throw those in too!

thanks alot!!!
There is no theory which applies to and makes you good at guitar specifically.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
There is no theory which applies to and makes you good at guitar specifically.

This is absolutely wrong.

The truth is:
There is no theory that doesn't apply to guitar. There is no theory that doesn't help you as a guitarist.
Quote by isaac_bandits

The truth is:
There is no theory that doesn't apply to guitar. There is no theory that doesn't help you as a guitarist.

here ya go. listen to this guy.

Gear:
Reverend PA1
Fender Lone Star Strat
Fender Frontman 212R
Squier Jagmaster
Ibanez AE Series Acoustic
Ibanez EWN28 Classical
Vox Satchurator
Dunlop Cry Baby
MXR Carbon Copy
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Quote by isaac_bandits

The truth is:

Thanks, genius, but as I stated, there is no theory which specifically applies to guitar. Theory is theory; it helps with all instruments.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
First things first

I dislike the term theory when used by guitarists because they tend to see them as "rules" or "guidelines" to music

This is completely wrong

Before you start learning "music theory," realize that what you're really doing is learning to speak the language of music
It is learning to understand on a higher level how notes, rhythm, etc. interact and fit together to create not just an assortment of sounds, but real music.

Just thought I should throw that out there so you don't get into the wrong sort of mindset later on

A guitar teacher or a school course would be the best place to learn (if they offer it at your school)

There are a bunch of books that you could use, just look on Amazon
I think I've heard of one called something like "Music Theory for Guitarists"
I've heard that it's easy to understand and follow by guitarists (though I've never actually read it myself)
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Thanks, genius, but as I stated, there is no theory which specifically applies to guitar. Theory is theory; it helps with all instruments.

If you want to be pedantic go ahead. I'll counter it. Most theory applies to all instruments, however, there are musical terms, which are encompassed by theory, which only apply to certain instruments. Una corda, tre corde is only for piano; pizzicato, arco, spiccato, ricochetto, seagulls, scordatura, etc.. are only for bowed strings; bending, palm muting, sweep picking, slapping, popping, tapping, etc.. only apply to strings; There are most likely a host of other terms for other instruments that I don't know as I don't play them.