Poll: Could this pedal work as an attenuator ?
Poll Options
View poll results: Could this pedal work as an attenuator ?
hell yes
3 10%
hell no
26 90%
Voters: 29.

so that music store dude told me that this pedal ^^^^ yep, the one right there
can work as an attenuator. now, UG, my question to YOU is:
is it true? could you hook this pedal between a POWERful POWERAMP and a BR00T4LZ SP34K3R and attenuate the sound, so this would basically act as a friggin attenuator.

now, i'm pretty... doubtful ? about this, mainly because it's worth 40 bucks, and it's a pedal, and yeah...

so anyone knows if it would indeed work or not ?

either way, it looks badass
Last edited by Darkflame at Sep 24, 2009,
Im not sure about that pedal. Either way dont cheap out on an attenuator if you're planning on getting one. Especially something thats going to be resistor based like that pedal most likely is. Something with a speaker motor will do a much better job at preserving your tone.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
According to the EHX site itself, it acts like your guitar's volume knob, allowing you to switch to a different volume preset.

Quote by Electro-Harmonix Website
The Signal Pad is a passive attenuator that allows you to instantly switch to a different preset volume. It's like your guitar's volume knob, with a fully-passive and color-free circuit.

You put it between your guitar and your amp, NOT your amp and speaker.

So the employee was wrong in saying that it was an attenuator. Sure, it changes the volume, but no different than a volume pedal would or your guitar knob. The only difference is that it allows you to go to a preset volume, depending on how you've fiddled with the knob.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
well it says passive attenuator on it so im guessing it can:s
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Quote by WinterSteel
According to the EHX site itself, it acts like your guitar's volume knob, allowing you to switch to a different volume preset.

You put it between your guitar and your amp, NOT your amp and speaker.

So the employee was wrong in saying that it was an attenuator. Sure, it changes the volume, but no different than a volume pedal would or your guitar knob. The only difference is that it allows you to go to a preset volume, depending on how you've fiddled with the knob.

he told me that it worked though, apparently, they tried it in the store, so maybe it was bull****, but i don't think it would be, since i go there often and i'm a good customer..
I'm thinking if it was an attenuator, it should've been marketed as one, for starters.

Second, don't attenuators need to have some sort of "dummy load" so that everything still works and the amp itself doesn't get fried? I highly doubt this would work. Sadly, I can't answer it with much technical knowledge yet, but...there's a reason attenuators are $300 and not $50.

If it were me, I wouldn't risk that. I wouldn't want to destroy my tube amp by trying to save some money. It'd cost you more in the long run, by far.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
I'm almost positive it's only for using in front of your amp..

for one, it says 'input' and 'amp' right on it. if it was intended to use between the power amp and speaker, they'd have labelled it something like 'in' and 'out', or 'amp' and 'speaker'

take a look at the EHX site, but ..yeah. my bet is that it's for before the amp.
just because it says attenuator doesnt mean it's for use between the poweramp and speaker, either..
an attenuator is a proper description of a volume pedal before the amp, OR what we usually call an attenuator here.

we're just used to calling the thing after an amp the attenuator

edit: and what the above poster said
Quote by james4
I'm almost positive it's only for using in front of your amp..

for one, it says 'input' and 'amp' right on it. if it was intended to use between the power amp and speaker, they'd have labelled it something like 'in' and 'out', or 'amp' and 'speaker'

take a look at the EHX site, but ..yeah. my bet is that it's for before the amp.
just because it says attenuator doesnt mean it's for use between the poweramp and speaker, either..
an attenuator is a proper description of a volume pedal before the amp, OR what we usually call an attenuator here.

we're just used to calling the thing after an amp the attenuator

edit: and what the above poster said

+1

I believe its just a simple volume pedal with some circuitry to maintain tone integrity as you cut the volume. Attenuators don't need a power source as they resist or reduce the signal load from your amp before it hits the speakers.

The need for a power source is indicative that its not an attenuator that you place after your amp but before your cabs.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The lack of an impedance rating is also a good way to tell its not an attenuator. All the attenuators out there have an impedance rating which is really important in tube amps. Next time your at the store have the guy who says this will work plug it in between the amp and speaker on the most expensive tube amp they have and crank it. See how long the pedal and amp lasts before smoke comes out.

It boils down to this if there was a 40$ dollar solution then it would be next to impossible to sell the 300$ units.
@Darkflame

are your serious you cant turn your volume to 1? oO
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
Quote by Darkflame
he told me that it worked though, apparently, they tried it in the store, so maybe it was bull****, but i don't think it would be, since i go there often and i'm a good customer..

He is a tool, you will kill your amp if you try that, or at the very least, fry the pedal.
Quote by GuitarUser
@Darkflame

are your serious you cant turn your volume to 1? oO

I was thinking the same thing. Even with my Maz 38 (38 watts, obviously) I can run the volume and master halfway without attenuation before it gets ridiculously loud.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light
I was thinking the same thing. Even with my Maz 38 (38 watts, obviously) I can run the volume and master halfway without attenuation before it gets ridiculously loud.

For what it is worth, my 50w Marshall JMP would need to be under 1 to play at home. With my pedal volume set to be as loud as clean, I set it at about 2.5 when playing in a band. I really need to buy an attenuator, can't get to the sweet tones without it being really loud.
you said they tried it in the store right? get them to show you.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
if you want to waste your money, go buy this pedal put it between your power amp and speaker.

then watch the pedal melt or destroy your amplifier.

what's your budget for an attenuator? I have the Weber Mass Lite 100 and it's great and useful especially since it doesn't cost 300 bucks. http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm
Last edited by yoyodunno at Sep 25, 2009,
Quote by Tackleberry
Next time your at the store have the guy who says this will work plug it in between the amp and speaker on the most expensive tube amp they have and crank it. See how long the pedal and amp lasts before smoke comes out.

This, please then post the results here. Preferably a link to the Youtube of the sales guy running in circles screaming obscenities.

What they meant to say is it works 'like' an attenuator, not that it is one. It makes your amp quieter, to a dumbass sales rep that is an attenuator.

If you really want something like this, buy a Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ for $30 and cut the volume on that a bit. I use this method to play quietly and it works great. If you REALLY need to play very quietly you can even cut every band down past neutral and pull some more out, but that hurts down pretty quick.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Oh god, so many people are going to blow up their amps thinking this is a power attenuator.
Hang on... if it's passive why does it need a power supply?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Tombe
Hang on... if it's passive why does it need a power supply?

To run the LED.

It's identical to a volume pedal, but with a knob and a bypass switch instead of a treadle.

It's technically true, as ANY volume knob is technically an "attenuator".

It attenuates the signal going from your guitar/fx chain to your amplifier.

When we use attenuators between amp & speaker, or as an additional load from the amp, we're giving the amp a dummy load, thus taxing it's output stage.

That way, we can get legitimate power tube distortion at a reasonable volume.

Trying to use this in that sense will fry the pedal, probably immediately, and the amp will running with no load, wiping it out as well.

Salesman = shtoopid.
ebay got some UK's pedal attenuators for 14 pounds, check it out or i can put the link
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Rutch
To run the LED.

Hmm, someone at EHX should come up with some electronic wizardry that allows the energy removed from the signal by attenuation to power the LED - it's got to go somewhere and that would be a better use for it than just wasting it as heat.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Tombe
Hmm, someone at EHX should come up with some electronic wizardry that allows the energy removed from the signal by attenuation to power the LED - it's got to go somewhere and that would be a better use for it than just wasting it as heat.

Its not attenuated, its just bled to ground, and line level audio signal cannot power an LED. Just because it is A current doesn't mean it is an acceptable current to power something.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Darkflame

so that music store dude told me that this pedal ^^^^ yep, the one right there
can work as an attenuator. now, UG, my question to YOU is:
is it true? could you hook this pedal between a POWERful POWERAMP and a BR00T4LZ SP34K3R and attenuate the sound, so this would basically act as a friggin attenuator.

now, i'm pretty... doubtful ? about this, mainly because it's worth 40 bucks, and it's a pedal, and yeah...

so anyone knows if it would indeed work or not ?

either way, it looks badass

yeah, it's not an attenuator. it's a volume knob in a box.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Tombe

I've seen that on actual, legit attenuators (the kind that go between the amp and cab), but if you can picture the amount of energy created by the pickups of a guitar, it may not be so easy...

LEDs may be extremely efficient and all, but passivepickups might give you 1 volt. Tops. And that's ALL of the signal...
TH3 G3Ar
Quote by Adrian89

This also is a volume box, not an attenuator, so 15 euros is a normal price for it since it's just a box with two jacks and a pot.
The Omnisonic achieves an effect similar to that of pricier attenuators and power soaks, at a fraction of the cost. And it works with most brands of tube amps. If your amp has a serial effects loop (or a set of preamp out and power amp in jacks), you can use this box to get the tube tone you paid for without making anyone's ears bleed. (The volume box also works with some parallel effects loops. Email for details.)
TH3 G3Ar
Quote by Adrian89
The Omnisonic achieves an effect similar to that of pricier attenuators and power soaks, at a fraction of the cost. And it works with most brands of tube amps. If your amp has a serial effects loop (or a set of preamp out and power amp in jacks), you can use this box to get the tube tone you paid for without making anyone's ears bleed. (The volume box also works with some parallel effects loops. Email for details.)

That's bulls***t, I mean, it will just add a master volume to your amp, nothing more.
Quote by Adrian89
i was trying to help him

First of all ANY knob on your amp or guitar is technically an attenuator, it attenuates signal. But generally when people talk of an attenuator like a THD or UA it is a device that places a load on the output of your amp, between the amp and the speaker, to allow high power settings in the power stage and still have lower volumes coming out the speaker.

All these other devices, whether placed before your amp, between the guitar and amp (might as well turn down your volume on the guitar) or in the effects loop just decrease the signal at a lower point in the signal chain, before the power stage.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
you said they tried it in the store right? get them to show you.

that's actually a good idea, i'll try that!

Quote by tubetime86
This, please then post the results here. Preferably a link to the Youtube of the sales guy running in circles screaming obscenities.

What they meant to say is it works 'like' an attenuator, not that it is one. It makes your amp quieter, to a dumbass sales rep that is an attenuator.

If you really want something like this, buy a Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ for $30 and cut the volume on that a bit. I use this method to play quietly and it works great. If you REALLY need to play very quietly you can even cut every band down past neutral and pull some more out, but that hurts down pretty quick.

he knew what i was talking about, he showed me an actual attenuator before saying the pedal was the same thing. as for the EQ, i already got the mxr 10 band, and i tried using it the way you're saying, cutting the volume, it just doesn't do it lol

and finally
Quote by Bright Light

i ain't got no master volume on my traynor ycv40wr, i should've thought of that when i bought it hahaha
anyways, i'm thinking of leaving it at my drummer's place to practice with it instead of my crate halfstack, and then buying an ac4 for home/practice/recording, going to be cheaper than an attenuator (and an excuse to buy an ac4, i'm craving once of those)
Quote by tubetime86
Its not attenuated, its just bled to ground, and line level audio signal cannot power an LED. Just because it is A current doesn't mean it is an acceptable current to power something.

My point really is that I hope it works without power (I'm sure we can live without LEDs), otherwise that's sadly yet another dud pedal that Electro-Harmonix has soiled their otherwise-excellent reputation with, along with the Holy Stain and the No.1 Echo.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I don't see why you'd want it as a pedal? Not as if you're going to turn it off on the fly
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
^It's not a power attenuator that's why.

Let's be clear, that pedal is labely FALSELY. It should be labeled VOLUME PEDAL + LED. Forty bucks is pretty steep too, I could probably cobble something together for 15 bucks.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not