Hey guys, my birthday is coming up, I got a job, and will probably have cash left over every month from what my parents give me for college, so I am considering buying a new head, specifically a vox nighttrain or an egnater rebel 20. Right now I have a crate v-18 combo with an Eminence Private Jack. I really like the speaker, so if I get a new head I would probably just unplug the crate head from the combo and use it as a cab. Is this a good idea? The back of the combo is open which from what I understand from a guy at a local shop said is less optimal for smaller amps.

So...
1) Are the night train and rebel 20 good amps to look at for old-school rock and blues? Any other suggestions welcome...I probably want to spend under $1000. I have not played the night train, but I loved the egnater 20...

2) Could I/Should I use the crate combo I own (with a private jack) as a cabinet?

3) Is a closed back cab really that necessary with a small amp? If so is there a way to close up my open back crate combo cabinet?

Thanks alot

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Last edited by REV3LATI0N at Sep 24, 2009,
I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to close up the back of the cab, with some ply and a few screws should be easy

And I've heard a few thigns from the Night Train and it sounds pretty good for blues and rock, haven't heard much of the Rebel 20 except for a bit of it being really pushed into overdrive.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo