Hey UG,

It's time to upgrade my gear. I have a line 6 spider 15 watt which was the first amp I ever bought about a year and a bit ago. It's time for something new. I've done a whole lot of research and I found the Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt to have everything I'm looking for. I like all the effects, but I have heard they're somewhat unreliable. I've heard complaints that the sound is also too 'digital'.

I'm just wondering if there are any amps in that price range/wattage that might give me a better bang for my buck. or if anyone has some good/bad points about the vypyr.
You could save 100 more and get the Blackstar HT-5 ministack. For a less "digital" sound. But you won't get the effects you do on a vypyr.

Edit Musicians friend vypyr 75 = 299 ht-5 mini stack = 399
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Last edited by chrisa123 at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Why do you want the 75 watter? Do you want to start gigging?

Before that.

What do you want in an amp? What do you want the amp to do?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I want an amp that I can grow into. The 30 watt isn't enought and the 75watt comes with a USB output for recording riffs (which is another good reason to get the amp)

I want the amp to have a good tone, a great sounding clean is key. I'm going to be playing an MIM strat HSS on it. Im tempted to buy a simple amp with a great clean setting about buy pedals somewhere down the line. I played an orange amp that I thought had a great tone, but it was only 30 watts and priceyyyy.
Quote by CashMoney54
I want an amp that I can grow into. The 30 watt isn't enought and the 75watt comes with a USB output for recording riffs (which is another good reason to get the amp)

I want the amp to have a good tone, a great sounding clean is key. I'm going to be playing an MIM strat HSS on it. Im tempted to buy a simple amp with a great clean setting about buy pedals somewhere down the line. I played an orange amp that I thought had a great tone, but it was only 30 watts and priceyyyy.

Do you think that 30 watts is quiet on a tube amp?

A 30 watt orange tube amp will blow the vypyr 75 out of the water with volume.
A 75watt Solid State amp (like the vyper) is probably not as loud as a 30watt tube amp.

Answer the these questions, and people can point you at some great amps...

Budget-
Bands or guitarists with guitar tone you are after- just ballpark
gigging? practice? bedroom amp? - so we know how loud you need to get
where you live- to check the used market
I didn't know that orange amp was a tube amp. are orange amps all tube amps?

john frusciante. I love the clean sounds he uses and even the distortion he uses ing the solo for the song 'I Could Have Lied'. I'd love to get that sound.

should I go for an orange amp?
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Do you think that 30 watts is quiet on a tube amp?

A 30 watt orange tube amp will blow the vypyr 75 out of the water with volume.

well the vypyr isn't a tube amp. on average, a tube amp is roughly 3 times louder than a SS amp.

the 75 watt vypyr wont be any louder than a Dual Terror
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 25, 2009,
Quote by CashMoney54

Have you played a Vypyr 30? They can get very loud.

If you want the 75 for the USB out then thats one thing. But I wouldn't be set on the 75 just for the volume.
Quote by CashMoney54
I didn't know that orange amp was a tube amp. are orange amps all tube amps?

To my knowledge, the only solid state amps that Orange has are the Crush series. All the others are tube.

And yeah, the price is usually a good indicator of what type of amp it is. If it's balls-out expensive, it's a tube amp.
30W tube are enough for most gigs.
The Orange is pricey because of its quality.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz