Page 1 of 2
I searched, and found nothing.

*WALL O' TEXT WARNING*

So, what does everyone think of December 21st (or 23rd), 2012? For those who don't know, it's the end of the Mayan calendar, which many think to be the end of the world. I've put a decent bit of thought into it, and a few things that have been said I thought could happen, others, not so much. After all of this thought, I derived my own theories, but I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.

So, here it goes; I'm going to explain many different, prominent theories, rationalize them, try to prove/disprove them, and state my own, and I'm hoping some of you do the same.

THE MAYAN CALENDAR
The Mayan Long Calendar is a calendar that plots out many years until it ends in 2012. Our calendars have days, weeks, months, and years, but the Mayans have many more denominations then our calendar. December 21st, 2012 reads on their calendar as "13.0.0.0.0.0.0" (or something close to that), showing the "End" of the calendar.

Archeologists and scientists believe that the Mayans used this, along with astronomical predictions, to chart out the apocalypse. What some people don't realize though, is that many other Mayan calendars date all the way to 20.0.0.0.0.0, not 13, showing that it may just be an important interval in time, or the end of a certain era in time. It seems to me to be a bit far-fetched that these ancient civilizations (The Opahee [sp?] Indians and the Li Hang are also alongside the Mayans) were able to predict something this important this far into the future.

What's even weirder is what the Mayans did predict, and the astronomical event that will occur on that day...

GALACTIC ALIGNMENT
On the day the Mayans predicted, all of the planets in our solar system will align. Spooky, huh? This may seem ominous, but astronomers have no proof to show any cataclysmic events.

The only thing that occurs from this, is a shift in the sun. Since all of the planets revolve around, and are attracted to the sun, the gravitational force exerted is quite large. Large enough that astronomers believe that when all the planets are aligned, their combined gravity pushes the sun slightly further away from its original position. This won't cause an apocalypse, but on a long-term scale, this could cause severe weather patterns. But by long-term, I'm talking over tens of thousands of years.

However, astronomers also predict something much more... Deadly may be lurking

NIBIRU
Nibiru (also known as "Planet X") is a "planet" that scientist have discovered, and have charted a possibility of this celestial colliding with, or passing by the planet in the year 2012. And by passing by, they mean being able to look into the sky and seeing it.

If the planet hits, game over. If it doesn't, still, game over. Even if it missed, the gravity from it would f*ck our gravitational pull up, along with the moon, causing extreme weather patterns, mega floods, giant electrical storms, and melting ice caps, followed by an Ice Age. Think "The Day After Tomorrow".

However, astronomers said this is strictly a theory that could or could not be true. Even if it were to proven to be headed this way, I'm sure the nations would team up and send some form of rocket or det. charge to eliminate the planet.

Now, for another theory that's more down to "Earth"...

POLAR SHIFT
Geologist say that the Earth is some thousands of years over due for a polar shift. In case you don't know, a polar shift is where the north and south pole, well... Obviously they switch places. It may not sound too bad, but this is extremely dangerous. A polar shift is what caused the first ice age, so imagine what another one would do during current times.

Geologists and scientists have talked about the possibility of this, and they say it is highly likely to happen. But, it's not as bad as you may think. We may be thousands of years over due for a shift, but even if we are, they say a polar shift takes close to 5,000 years to occur. When the first ice age happened, that was around year 4,900-ish. So, even it has already happened, or if it's going to, we should be fine.

Unless it started 4,900 some years ago.

SPIRITUAL, CONSCIENTIOUS, EVOLUTIONARY ADVANCEMENT
These three fall loosely into the same category, seeing as how they predict a new era after the year 2012, not the apocalypse.

Obviously, as the title says, some believe that if the Mayan calendar does end on 20, heralding the apocalypse, then the just as important 13 must mean something. And some thought the next big jump for the human race.

The more popular of these is that the vast majority of people undergo a conscientious shift, allowing people to think more clearly, and without restrictions, allowing a new age of knowledge and prosperity. With this, some believe that if we go through this, we may obtain enough knowledge to truly understand life, [Your respected] God, spirit, Karma, etc.

This can also be said in vice versa

The other, less popular thought is humans taking the next major evolutionary step, for the better (even though I think that they way things are, we're too stupid to move on, and will actually devolve). Since no one knows how we would evolve (other than becoming more intelligent), it leaves this topic open to speculation, and with no hard evidence.

OTHER UNLIKELY CRAP
Some people believe that aliens, government conspiracies, Ragnarok (and other religious apocalypses), and a time shift will be the undoing.

Aliens to me, is way out there, as with government conspiracies (even though I think a conspiracy would be more likely. I mean, why destroy something that you want to control).

I'm not going to get into a religious debate, but I'll just say I don't think that will happen.

As for the time shift... It may sound unlikely, but if it happened, we'd all be screwed. It's way too much type, but to sum it up, "the universe has a teleological attractor at the end of time that increases interconnectedness, eventually reaching a singularity of infinite complexity on December 21, 2012, at which point anything and everything imaginable will occur instantaneously."

A man made a program using the Hiroshima bombing as a starting point algorithmically plotted the end to happen in November 2012, but it was also stated that "He believed the events of any given time are recursively related to the events of other times, and chose the atomic bombing of Hiroshima as the basis for calculating his end date of November 2012. When he discovered this date's proximity to the end of the 13th baktun, he adjusted it so that the two dates matched."

*END OF WALL O' TEXT*

tl;dr: What does everyone think about the supposed ending of the world in 2012?

NotReallyAnEditEDIT: A baktun was a Mayan measurement of time, notably the "13" or "20" on there calendar.

Also, I realized I thought too much about this, and that this is most likely a "cool story, bro"
riveting tale, chap
Quote by xMetalGodx
I'm not quite sure if you were trying to be funny or if you have a learning disability, either way, I was not amused.

He is not amused.
Quote by abdulalhazred
you are the best 09er EVER! i am sending you a friend request as soon as i send this

I'm gonna have a lot of fun watching people go apeshit around those days
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by SMB13
As for the time shift... It may sound unlikely, but if it happened, we'd all be screwed. It's way too much type, but to sum it up, "the universe has a teleological attractor at the end of time that increases interconnectedness, eventually reaching a singularity of infinite complexity on December 21, 2012, at which point anything and everything imaginable will occur instantaneously."

I'll finally get laid!
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Obviously you searched nowhere near hard enough. There's tons of these.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
That was actualy pretty well thought out. Good job.

But it's still not going to happen.
In diesem Herz hab ich die Macht.

Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Strat (Wine Red)
VOX Valvetronix VT20+
Kay K390 Acoustic
Quote by SMB13
I searched, and found nothing.

Also, I realized this is a "cool story, bro"

i call BS..

and Fixed
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Quote by Sammoth
cool story, bro

Cool Cliche Bro
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by Dwight Schrute
riveting tale, chap

nice
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Quote by DashBlaster
But also by a dude!

Optimism!
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
The nibiru part is believed to be the end of the world tale from the samaritan also. They have a pretty crazy story on that.
epic7734
I actually just finished a Mayan research project in school. They didn't predict the "end of the world" they just predicted a reset in time :p . Anyway though, the Long Count Calendar was produced to keep track of events that a human lifespan couldn't. It was made up on 13 baktuns, like you said, which are periods of 400 tuns, which are periods of 360 days. So, 360 * 400 = 144,000 * 13 = 1,872,000 days, an estimation of the time until the next rest from when they produced the calendar. They also used a base-20 and base-5 numbering system which gets really involved but I won't go into that. Based on their other calendars, like the Haab and the Tzolkin, which work into the Long Count, the world isn't about to come to an end. You're safe.
Quote by entity0009
I once death-metal growled at my mother. Her response was

GENERAL of the ESP Army! I want YOU to Join NOW!
I call BS on the alignment one. The size and distance of the planets compared to the sun is so miniscule that I doubt they would have any effect on the sun, and even it they did, it wouldn't be anything more than a surface effect (ie like the tides caused by the sun and moon).

And I'm pretty sure astronomers would know if a planet was anywhere close to entering our solar system within the next 1000 years.

In fact, BS on the whole thing, it's not happening.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Last edited by thefuzz454 at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by TheReverend724
me too, ian, me too

Quote by lolmnt
everybody, im going to hold a "Everybody was Stupid and Paranoid" party on the 23rd of December, 2012.

Anyone who didnt stash themselves in a bunker are invited.
Quote by DimebagLivesOn

I plan on sitting in the Supermarket parking lot and watching people stock up on food and water and other supplies. They'll all be panicking, and I will laugh.

EDIT: ^I'll get my formal wear ready. Seriously, there's as equal a chance the world ends tomorrow as in 2012.
Last edited by BK202 at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by thefuzz454
I call BS on the alignment one. The size and distance of the planets compared to the sun is so miniscule that I doubt they would have any effect on the sun, and even it they did, it wouldn't be anything more than a surface effect (ie like the tides caused by the sun and moon).

And I'm pretty sure astronomers would know if a planet was anywhere close to entering our solar system within the next 1000 years.

Actually the way they find planets in other solar systems is by the effect the planet has on the sun.

A sun that has a planet orbiting it will cause the sun to wobble.

And the second part of your post, what some believe to be Nibiru may have been found. Its not a planet, but its big. A little bit smaller than pluto if my memory serves right.

Im not saying any of these things will destroy the world now. Just chiming in is all.
epic7734
Last edited by epic7734 at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by SGibson666
everybody, im going to hold a "Everybody was Stupid and Paranoid" party on the 23rd of December, 2012.

Anyone who didnt stash themselves in a bunker are invited.

Hell yeah! Make a thread on that day dude. I can see it now. . .
The playground of the world
Quote by Spoony_Bard
I'll finally get laid!

Even I can't imagine that.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I shall have sex with as many women as possible the week beforehand.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

If this really happens, I'm going to rob banks, rape, pillage, etc. Whatever I wanna do... Then again it's probably bull**** and i'll just spend my life in jail.
Most people on UG aren't very nice.

That is my signature.

This is true.
I smell epic fail
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Quote by simmy17
Wow, never seen that one before. Good thing you posted it, or we wouldn't of known you were a tool.
epic7734
I'm kind of hoping for the end of the world at this point so people will shut the hell up about the end of the world...
Quote by fail
Either you're safe or you've won the whole damn thread.

Quote by CoreysMonster

epic win. total, epic win. this is probably the best OC ever created on UG.

kudos, sir.

kudos.
Quote by epic7734
Wow, never seen that one before. Good thing you posted it, or we wouldn't of known you were a tool.

TS is beating a dead horse. What do you expect?
Last edited by simmy17 at Sep 24, 2009,
Quote by TheReverend724
i like your new avatar, buddy

Thank you
Quote by lolmnt
In 2012, the world will be invaded by the vampire robot nazis who are also zombies. I thought everyone knew that.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Page 1 of 2