I've just got a Epiphone Firefly 30 DSP amp, just for use in my front room. I'm looking for a delta blues sounding guitar, either solid or semiacoustic. I'm on a budget of £500/$850. I'm tempted by a telecaster, but only because the way that fella off Cadillac Records plays it.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
you should decide whether you want humbuckers or single coils first.
It's all about feel
Quote by UraniYum
I've just got a Epiphone Firefly 30 DSP amp, just for use in my front room. I'm looking for a delta blues sounding guitar, either solid or semiacoustic. I'm on a budget of £500/$850. I'm tempted by a telecaster, but only because the way that fella off Cadillac Records plays it.

Strats I suppose. Although, if you're looking for acoustics or semi acoustics, the ever so famous ES-335 or its counterparts are good too. There's also a few of those old 30's Gibsons.

Though, from what I've read up on and heard, Delta Blues uses Resonator guitars. Helps with slide style, or just any standard good sounding acoustic will do I'm sure.
delta blues you say? what about a Danelectro Shorthorn reissue? you can get some NASTY vintage blues tones out of that. tried and true by many of the biggest guitarists around for 50 years now. costs about $300 to

comes as 6 string and 12, as shown in pic
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Sep 25, 2009,
Are the '59 reissues still being made or were you talking about ebay/craigslist??? I know there are supposed to be new 59 reissues out in october though. Hopefully early oct.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
Are the '59 reissues still being made or were you talking about ebay/craigslist??? I know there are supposed to be new 59 reissues out in october though. Hopefully early oct.

yeah theyre still made. as you said, new ones are coming out to.
Quote by hopespaul
you should decide whether you want humbuckers or single coils first.

Single coils.

That Danelectro is MASSIVELY ugly. And i definately do care about appearance because i'm like that. I've never had a proper brand name guitar before, so i'm looking at a gibson or a fender. Those 335s are quality, but i haven't come across one in my price range as yet. It's now between that and a tele, because perfectly on cue, i saw a fella last night who looked like a turnip farmer playing the maddest blues i've ever heard. on a blonde Tele.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Get an epi 335 then
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Not trying to steal the thread but do they still make the shorthorns in 6 string? Any clue when in Oct. the 59 factory reissues are coming out?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by UraniYum
I've never had a proper brand name guitar before

Quote by Slicer666
Get an epi 335 then

I made a very stupid decision and bought a 'Gibson Maestro Signiture SG'
Looks like an SG, says Gibson on the ad.
But is the worst made thing i have ever seen. I took it out, plugged it in, and one of the screws fell out. Upon closer inspection, everythings ****ed. The paint job overlaps the fretboard binding BADLY, the plastic electrics cover on the back doesn't fit AT ALL, and the covers aren't countersunk, when they're using countersunk screws. It sounds awful, the action was so ridiculously high i've had to lower the bridge, the list goes on, and on, and on and on. And i've only had it 12 hours.

BUT it was £50.

BUT don't buy it.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
I made a very stupid decision and bought a 'Gibson Maestro Signiture SG'
Looks like an SG, says Gibson on the ad.
But is the worst made thing i have ever seen. I took it out, plugged it in, and one of the screws fell out. Upon closer inspection, everythings ****ed. The paint job overlaps the fretboard binding BADLY, the plastic electrics cover on the back doesn't fit AT ALL, and the covers aren't countersunk, when they're using countersunk screws. It sounds awful, the action was so ridiculously high i've had to lower the bridge, the list goes on, and on, and on and on. And i've only had it 12 hours.

BUT it was £50.

BUT don't buy it.

Sounds like you might have got a counterfeit. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

Back to your original question, you might want to try out a Gretsch G5120 Electromatic. They are pretty good guitars for your price range. Great for blues, rock, country, etc.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
That's ****ing tasty. Cheers for the advice.

I've seen a fair few fakes, but this SG had the gibson logo on it. I like the colour of it, I've always wanted an SG, and it'll be good practise for rewiring and refitting. So it's not all bad.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
Single coils.

That Danelectro is MASSIVELY ugly. And i definately do care about appearance because i'm like that. I've never had a proper brand name guitar before, so i'm looking at a gibson or a fender. Those 335s are quality, but i haven't come across one in my price range as yet. It's now between that and a tele, because perfectly on cue, i saw a fella last night who looked like a turnip farmer playing the maddest blues i've ever heard. on a blonde Tele.

tele would be great, you could also have a look at a faded series Gibson. they're a bit cheaper, but still "standards"
Quote by Polystant
Not trying to steal the thread but do they still make the shorthorns in 6 string? Any clue when in Oct. the 59 factory reissues are coming out?

yes they do. and im pretty sure they're coming out mid month. probably around the 15th - 20th