I'm looking into making my own hardshell guitar case. Most of you will probably say theres no use, or just buy one its cheaper, now heres the problem the guitar its gonna fit is a custom shape (which one day Ug will see, but not today) and no current cases will fit it, and even if you do magically find a case that will fit it I'm still building my own, which is also part of the reason I am not revealing the shape. My moms a seamstress so I can get the materials and foam for very cheap, but none of that is to worry. I have access to more than enough tools for this project, and guitars.

What I am wondering is:
1. What wood should I be using for a hardshell Guitar Case? MDF? Plywood? Particle board? Birch? Some other wood?

2. How thick should the wood be at walls and edges and what not? 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", More?

This isnt going to be a full out flight case just hardshell incase that needs clarifying.

Thanks in advanced.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
i would go for half inch plywood... should be fine for a case.

and i want to see your guitar... heheh
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
that is going to be heavy as hell sir... especially if your guitar is large...which it sounds like
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
that is going to be heavy as hell sir... especially if your guitar is large...which it sounds like

Well what do the pros make their cases out of? they all seem to say hardwood, durable, or rugged wood construction and stuff like that... my presumtion is all hardshell cases are generally heavy... I can carry a 4x12 by my self so I think I can handle a case...lol

Looks like Gator hardshell cases use 3-ply Luan Wood.

Ibanez cases just says plywood...

Epiphone say Rugged wood structure...

Which I guess leads the remain question, how thick?

Does anyone with a hardshell case wanna take a look at it and geuss how thick the edges with the hinges and latches? and how thick the main length body wood is? My guess is its thinner to save weight and the other peices are thicker for durability.

Anyways any guess or actuall measurements would be awsome.

Thanks in advanced.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust