hi guys i have this old Kramer made in the 80s im guessing... my dad gave it to me whe n i was very young and he used it to play in his band... shortly after while playing a gig he threw the guitar down and made a crack in the headstock. eventually it broke off so it has been sitting in a gig bag for several years now. i just recently brought it out to take a look it it and was even thinking about restoring it in the future. i would love suggestions from you guys on what to use in the future for when and if i even restore it. maybe i can get my dad to buy the parts for my birthday or Christmas or something. the type of music i like to play is stuff like metallica, pantera, slayer, Death and stuff like that so i would need a good setup for thrash metal , heavy metal.

new neck, original floyd rose trem, Dimarzio Evo at the bridge, two Dimarzio FM-3 pickups for neck and mid and a total new paint job!
You need to sand the whole body down to 320 grit, stain or sand seal it. If you paint it you sand seal it, then paint it. If you stain it, you seal it after the stain. After either you nitro or poly it, wet sand, then buff it. Then you start putting parts on. Regardless, you need a new neck. Warmoth can make you a new one but it's expensive. I recomend getting one off Ebay, they can be sketchy but I've only got one bad neck out of seven off ebay.
You can save this axe, but it won't be cheap. Hit me up for any tips.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Sep 25, 2009,
Yes if i do end up eventually re building this guitar i was planning on getting a neck from ebay they shouldn't be to spendy... btw is there a specific Evo pickup? because i noticed there are various different ones.. keep in mind that they cant be to spendy because my family is kind of short on money but i would still like to have some decent pickups that have a good thrash/heavy metal sound to them. but those Evo pickups im looking at now seem like a fair price.
david Collins, i do realize that it would be easyer and probably cheaper to replace this guitar. but the thing is me and my father already own several other guitars, and we both have wanted to build a guitar. so this would be like a project over a period of time type of thing. slowly building it as we wish. and its a good base for building a guitar
fix the headstock! or make a new neck if you want a father& son project! but restore the whole thing and i would keep the red color, just redo it!
Fix the headstock, honestly, don't make a new neck just fix the old one. The last thing you want is a Kramer body with a squire neck on it.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
yes i agree with you about the finish. the condition isnt the best but its not that bad eaither. there is some old sticker goup and maybe some dings here and there but its not that bad at all. and yeah i would buy a new neck for it from ebay or another site.

All in all i dont think it would be to bad to try to bring this back to life

and i noticed that where the pickups and electrical crap is are right next to eachother and it looks like i would need some sort of pick guard that has the pickups in them like the strats have right?
Please don't repaint that guitar! If it were me I'd source a new Kramer neck off eBay, then just get new parts for everything else as well. Once all the parts come in it would only take a few hours to put everything together and have it playable again. For the paint I'd just get all the goop off and polish that bad boy up.
yes plus i wouldnt have the time or skills probably to try to sand it down and re paint it like it was brand new. but anyways about the pick guard and electrical crap... anybody know a site i can get this from with instructions maybe? i would also like to know if the pickups have to be inserted into the pick guard before inserting the pickguard to the guitar. i noticed some fenders are like that. but anyways can anybody explain this to me maybe? because all the guitars i have have the electrical stuff on the back side of the guitar not under the pick guard
That particular Kramer requires a pickguard, as you can see by the outline of where it used to go, along with the holes drilled in the body for it. You would have to get new pickups, and a pickguard, then mount the pickups into the pickguard before putting it onto the body. There's only one way to do it really, you can't mount the pickups with the pickguard on, as the pickups have to go in from the bottom. The whole thing can actually be wired onto the pickguard (potentiometers and everything, minus the wires that go to the output jack and tremolo claw) and then placed onto the guitar.

For any diagrams just check Seymour Duncans website, or the wiring diagram thread, or some of the other stickied info threads here probably have links to them.
DO NOT SAND THAT BITCH!

Clean it up, "wet sand" it and buff the crap out of the body, it'll look great. Get a kramer neck off ebay and slap on some HOT custom wound pickups from one of the guys on ug and get an schaller floyd.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
i really dont have the money to buy custom wound pickups as i am sure they are probably spendy. but i would really like to know some sort of pick guard site where i could find a pickguard for this. i will probably end up buying some active Emgs or some other sort of active pickups. i looked on Ebay for pickguards but there all the single pup slots like for strats
Last edited by MiseryMonster at Sep 26, 2009,
ewwww actives..

if you can afford getting some emgs, get some GOOD passives. it will sound better for what its worth.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by MiseryMonster
i really dont have the money to buy custom wound pickups as i am sure they are probably spendy. but i would really like to know some sort of pick guard site where i could find a pickguard for this. i will probably end up buying some active Emgs or some other sort of active pickups. i looked on Ebay for pickguards but there all the single pup slots like for strats

Custom wound pickups don't run that much. If not a custom set I'd recommend an SD JB for the bridge and two red velvets for the neck and middle. Stay away from actives, its a waste of money.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickguards.html

I don't know why you went straight to ebay to look for pickguards, not like they're being discontinued or anything like that.

Also, guitar fetish pickups are quite nice, check out the crunchy rails.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
It may have already been said, but before you buy a new floyd you should check the one that you already have. I may be mistaken, but I believe many kramers made in the 80s were built with schaller licensed floyds, which in my opinion are nicer than the original.