Just a quick question in regard to tapping.
I don't have any trouble getting a good clean sound when tapping at low volumes, however when playing loud i find that the notes don't seem to be coming through like they should, i seem to be muting unwanted noise as best i can. This is frustrating me immensely. Anyone with any ideas here. it would be appreciated. cheers.
Quote by tegdim86
Just a quick question in regard to tapping.
I don't have any trouble getting a good clean sound when tapping at low volumes, however when playing loud i find that the notes don't seem to be coming through like they should, i seem to be muting unwanted noise as best i can. This is frustrating me immensely. Anyone with any ideas here. it would be appreciated. cheers.

Ok. Here's what you should do.

Play SLOWLY. Put on a metronome say at 80bpm. Then practise tapping. Be very conscious of your muting on this tempo. If you are able to tap cleanly on this tempo move on. At low volumes, you can't really hear the buzz or the noise hence it seems clean. Put on some gain and you'll notice a lot of unwanted noise.

This is due to two reasons:
1) Fretting hand leaves the strings quickly thus resulting in a pull off (unwanted of course). So be sure that when your fretting hand leaves a string your palm mutes that string immediately.
2) You picking hand is striking the strings. I generally tap with my middle finger while I retain my pick in the index finger and the thumb. Ensure that the other fingers other than your tapping finger are clear of the strings

Another thing that I use is that I tap upwards as in my tapping motion is towards the top rather than the bottom (Paul Gilbert style) that helps as the motion is really restricted and you can't hit the other strings. Rest your palm gently on the strings because if you press the strings too hard, it causes a lot of noise during tapping motion (for ex- if you are moving down the neck your palm moves along the strings. If the strings are pressed too hard, you will hear a weird screeching noise).

tl;dr- Play slowly and use a metronome. Be very conscious about your muting.
Thank you Heminator, that advice is really helpful and to the point, and i have noticed improvement already. Esp due to the fact that i have been tapping in a downward motion. I appreciate you passing on these tips.
Cheers.