I recently bought a Marshall Haze 40 from Guitar Center.

When I received it, one power tube lit up bright orange and the other did nothing at all. It sounded okay until the amp randomly started to sound nasty and dirty. Also it smelled like burning rubber when I played and it filled the room, AND the whole amp was hot enough to burn myself on.

I got a second one almost 2 weeks ago, everything was fine with it. I haven't had much time to play it until recently. And after 30 minutes of playing it the smell kicked in again and the tubes are unevenly lit.

I have an extended warranty that covers me getting a new amp, and if the amp breaks a check for the amount the amp is. Also it is within 30 days of purchase.

Now, do I get ANOTHER Marshall Haze 40? 2 out of 2 amps are bad. I am pretty sure the next one will be too. I love the loudness. I love the tone, though the overdrive is lacking.

But if I tell them that I don't want another and get a refund of my 700 dollars. What do I get? I want tube. I want loud.

I would prefer to get a head and cabinet now because of the tube rattling I have had from the Haze. But I would get another combo if I found a nice one.

I play classic rock for the most part. Led Zep, Hendrix, Blue Oyster Cult type stuff.

I love Marshall tone, it fits my playing perfectly, but I am tired of their amps (I had an MG HDFX100 before...) I am tired with the problems. So what amp should I get? I am willing to spend a bit extra so my limit is up to 800 dollars or so.

One option I have been looking at is the Vox night train.

There is also a Vox 15 watt combo for 600 I have looked at.

Then there is also the Egnater Rebel 20. My friend has it and loves it.

But I want something that is able to play Hendrix and Led Zep well.

Any suggestions?

Do I keep the Marshall Haze 40 or go with a new amp?

I am also looking for something to gig with. Can 15 watts (tube) do that? Or do I need louder.

Thanks for looking/reading. Sorry for the large amount of text.

I am not interested in Peavy, Ibanez, etc

Most interested in Vox, Marshall (eh), epiphone, etc. Older amp brands
15watts of tube will be plenty loud for gigs

Trust me, 100watts is too ****ing loud, 50watts is about as loud as 100watts, and 25watts wouldn't be far off
So if you want, try the Haze 15 or maybe a Class 5 with one of the 1x12 Haze 15 cabs, I know the Class 5 sounds awesome through a 4x12 (Check out Rob Chappers vid from the Marshall place)
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Sep 25, 2009,
I would like to stay away from Marshall...
I love their tone. But I am tired of their amp problems.
Thats REALLY odd that two Hazes did that.
If I were you I'd make sure the wiring in my house was in good condition, and when you get the new amp make sure the ohm-age is set correctly and the head is plugged into the cab properly with a speaker cable.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
To Faux:
I have the Marshall 40 combo. Much better than the 15 watt I think.

I think I'll just go for another Haze 40. Everything in my house is fine. I think it has to do with the closed back and over heating problems. I just hope the next one works..
peavey classic 30. seriously.

comes in a combo or a head. ebay has a few products to stop its tube rattle if you decide to get the combo. but seriously, get a classic 30
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
dude try a Fender Super Champ XD, its a 15 watt tube but it has 16 different voices to use (or get pedals which im workin on) and another channel for clean. You can get a footswitch for it so im guessing it would work better than having to turn the knobs and **** individually. I just practice on a little over 2 and its loud enough to not hurt your ears. At about 5 it gets a bit loud but if you crank it up all the way it will def hurt your ears, I'm going to do a little gig (more like getting up with the band after my parents wedding) with my super champ so i hope mine goes well, which it should.
Traynor YCV50 or YCV40, or YCS40 or 50.

Or go used and get a JCM 800 combo.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
TS - You said you received it. Does that mean you are buying on line and they are shipping it to you? It sounds like one of the power tubes is coming unseated (loose) in shipment possibly. This might explain the the situation.

But yes overly bright power tubes or even unevenly lit power tubes is a problem. The burning rubber smell is probably insulted wire melting due to the heat.

Your call on your next amp, but make sure all the tubes and pushed down in their sockets and visually watch your power tubes as you play whenever you can - especially in the beginning.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 25, 2009,
/\ +1 If you get another one then do this before running it.

But, if you don't get another Haze the Vox Night Train sounds like it would be a good amp for you. With a 2x12 cab you could easily gig, however, in a large venue you'd probably want to mic it, no big deal, I'm personally a fan of mic amps no matter what.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Last edited by Hesh_09 at Sep 25, 2009,
classic 30
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
so many better amps out there than marshall for the price.

if you get two f*cked amp, there are really only a couple of possibilities:
-the QC is sh*t (most likely scenario)
-someone at GC does not like you
-you're doing something wrong.

if you bought the same amp twice and they BOTH crapped out on you, i'd start looking into different companies, bro.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Look into something different. I haven't heard great things about the Haze series anyway :/
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Yea bummer man I too fell in love with a marshall haze 40 and after two daze yep ..fuze blowing fuzz making bull#@*t started happening will take it into shop on monday I should have listened to the other threads on the web but no ya always think it could just be a few people ... nothing to it..........ahh well guess we will see
Quote by shadow1972
Yea bummer man I too fell in love with a marshall haze 40 and after two daze yep ..fuze blowing fuzz making bull#@*t started happening will take it into shop on monday I should have listened to the other threads on the web but no ya always think it could just be a few people ... nothing to it..........ahh well guess we will see

Welcome to UG

Reported
Quote by shadow1972

Please refrain from bumping 2 year old threads.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com