So I got my Blackstar HT5 this morning, and its really awesome sounding little amp. However on connnecting up my pedal there is a considerable amount of hum.
So my signal chain is as follows
Ibanez RG350 guitar
Boss FV300L volume pedal, with tuner out to TU2
Crybaby 535Q wah
Digitech IV whammy pedal-> amp input
and then DD20 in FX loop

with guitar straight into amp there is tiny amount of hum but no more than expected. so I dont think its the amp.
Also I didn't have this problem with my old solid state roland cube 30x
Unplugging the DD20 from th FX loop makes quite a difference to hum levels. As does unplugging the whammy pedal.
Without the guitar plugged the him is the same level as with it in so I dont believe its the guitar either.

Any suggestions??
btw al pedals are powered by power supplies if this helps

Cheers
Sorry for double post but I done some more testing which may help.

Also everything, all the pedals and the amp are plugged into the same power strip, dunno if this makes a difference?
when going through volume and wah hum increase no pedals is minimal, However just plugging in the whammy power supply (its AC) adds to hum even when its not in the signal chain.
the whammy and the delay add very different sounding hum to the amp too.

hope this helps
thanks
Quote by symanoy
Sorry for double post but I done some more testing which may help.

Also everything, all the pedals and the amp are plugged into the same power strip, dunno if this makes a difference?
when going through volume and wah hum increase no pedals is minimal, However just plugging in the whammy power supply (its AC) adds to hum even when its not in the signal chain.
the whammy and the delay add very different sounding hum to the amp too.

hope this helps
thanks
Sounds like you should be trying a higher quality power bar or perhaps even a dedicated power supply for your pedals. If you're getting hum from the whammy, even when it's not in the signal path, that would suggest to me that the power bar isn't able to cope with whatever noise is coming from said pedal. Hopefully a new power bar would help.

Worst case scenario, as far as I can see, you'd either want to change your pedals or go for a power conditioner.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I got this when I plugged a laptop into the same 4 way power extension as my GDEC. The laptop didn't even have to be on (though it got worse when it was on). When I plugged the laptop into a seperate power outlet on the wall, the problem stopped. So I'm guessing that the power supplies for the pedals must be tainting the power supply to the HT5 in some way.

Can you plug the pedals into a different wall outlet? Does that reduce the hum?

I've read that power conditioners may help with this, but I've never used one so don't want to suggest buying one unless someone else can say it will help.
thats a good point my laptop is plugged into the same wall outlet! as is my digital radio and lamp, I doubt this helps matters!! I've reduced it a fair bit by swapping some power supplies. I have a standard Boss PSA and an effectspowersupplies.com 9v DC which seems to be quieter and of higher quality, having this power the delay alone and the Boss supply the TU 2 and wah, reduces noise quite a bit! will try differen wall outlets!