Hey UG

I've been kinda looking into other operating systems and I heard quite some good stories about Ubuntu. Now I'm thinking of formatting my second hard disk and installing ubuntu on that one. Any of you have experience with Ubuntu ?
It's cool as long as you plan on never doing anything productive.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
It's nice, but a bitch to work.
P.L.U.R.

We'll choke on our vomit and that will be the end

We were fated to pretend
Well, to be honest, I'm looking for a new OS because my windows is totally f*cked and I don't have acces to any type of windows in the near future. Basicly, all I do is MSN, internet, listen to music and from time to time some schoolwork. Nothing to serious. Worth a try ?
Meh, nothing spectacular... I've had problems with every single linux installation I've ever done, which is just multiple attempts of Mandrake, openSUSE (currently have and like), and ubuntu. Ubuntu was my least favorite of those distros
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Buske6000
Well, to be honest, I'm looking for a new OS because my windows is totally f*cked and I don't have acces to any type of windows in the near future. Basicly, all I do is MSN, internet, listen to music and from time to time some schoolwork. Nothing to serious. Worth a try ?

No.

For the things you mentioned, linux is not the right OS for you
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Buske6000

If this is all you're doing whats wrong with good ol' XP?

I don't think it's quite obsolete yet.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Yeah, seriously.. Just get/stick with XP.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

It's no where near obsolete

Been thinking about getting a linux distro meself, need to upgrade a bit first though
'Always outnumbed, never outgunned'
PSN + XBL: Jimsworthy

Charvel So-Cal ProMod Black
Ibanez RG350Dx W/ Duncans
Blackstar HT Stage 100
ASshdown 4x12
Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah II
Im using it right now. Its ok, its got open source apps for almost everything you would need, but you cant run windows apps in it very easily, so if you use any specialty apps then it sucks. and it can be hard to install things if you dont know how. fun to play with but productivity wise its a bit of a pain in the ass.
lrn2torrent.
but yeah, for the things you mentioned, just download ubuntu. i personally prefer kubuntu, which is the same but with KDE rather than GNOME desktop manager.
Quote by texzephyr
lrn2torrent.
but yeah, for the things you mentioned, just download ubuntu. i personally prefer kubuntu, which is the same but with KDE rather than GNOME desktop manager.

Oh yeah totally.
-Jim Morrison
as long as you have a license key for window, look on your computer case, your local computer store should burn you a copy of the windows disc for next to nothing
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Get Linux Mint instead

basically the same thing but you don't have to hunt around for flash and codecs, I've never had an issue running it and for music, msn, internet etc it would be great and completely stable.
Quote by Dreadnought
No.

For the things you mentioned, linux is not the right OS for you

Wrong, I have openSuse and I do all those things and more. For MSN use KMess (only downside is that you can't send messages to people who are offline), for music I use banshee, but there's also amarok which is good and for the interwebz you have firefox as the default browser, but I use opera on it anyway. I still keep windows though just for games. Unless you use a lot of windows-only apps, linux is worth trying out.
Quote by Diamond Dave
Get Linux Mint instead

basically the same thing but you don't have to hunt around for flash and codecs, I've never had an issue running it and for music, msn, internet etc it would be great and completely stable.

Linux Mint user checking in I use it 95% of the time, especially for surfing the net. Open Office for spreadsheets, documents, and powerpoint. Amorak for music, VLC for video, Pidgin or Kopete for messenger, Kstars for astronomy, Tux Guitar for tab programs, Gimp for image manipulation, Korganizer for scheduling tasks/calender, ConvertAll conversion program, Compiz Fusion for the coolest desktop effects under the sun. I do keep Windows on a small part of this little netbook's drive for the rare occasion when I might need it.
aka, Possum Head on /b
I have Ubuntu and I think it does what you want well. But it's not very pleasant to use and you'll find yourself confused as to why your tray icons disappear more often than not.

On the plus side, it has a great nack for detecting drivers needed and installing them without much effort.

You can get a CD version which you don't have to install. Just pop the cd in and play. Nice way to test it out.
Ubuntu Live I think it's called.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Ubuntu is pretty nice, I've never really had any problems with it. I'm actually reinstalling it today! It works perfectly (and better then windows) for work, music and shizzle, unless you want photoshop and itunes.

I do however, suggest you have a look into Linux Mint. It's more of a drop in replacement of windows in the way it's set out. Plus, I think it works a tiny bit better, if you're a first time user of linux.

EDIT:

Download a program called Unetbootin. It will let you mount an installable version of loads of linux distros on a usb drive. That way, you can have a go with a few before you install.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Last edited by Joeval at Sep 25, 2009,
yeah get linux mint it comes with a gui interface witch mean you dont have to use the so called "terminal"
better shred than dead