i want an overdrive pedal to tighten up my 6505 combo. i have been looking at the overdrive market and i am overwhelmed with all the different options so can anyone please give me some advice? i will be using it as a boost on the lead channel and it will be left on all the time.
Popular choices are the Maxon OD808 and OD9 and their Ibanez counterparts or a Digitech Bad Monkey if you're on a budget.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
/\ What he said.

The MXR GT-OD is also a good option if you're curious to try something different.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
/\ What he said.

The MXR GT-OD is also a good option if you're curious to try something different.

i guess im a bit curoius.
how is it 'different'?
Well, the Maxon OD 808/OD9 (and the Ibanez versions, the TS-808, and TS-9) are pretty much considered quintessential OD pedals. They're known to add a touch of smooth, tube-like gain, and also known for a bit of mid hump in it's EQ. They also tend to tighten up the low-end response, especially on amps with loose low-end response. In metal, this can be useful for either tightening up the rhythm tone, or making solos really scream.

The GT-OD is pretty much the same idea, but it has more gain, and IMO, the tone (EQ) knob on it is more useful/versatile. It can be a bit noisy if you abuse the gain knob though, so keep it low! lol (not that you'll need much with a 6505 anyway).
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Sep 25, 2009,
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Well, the Maxon OD 808/OD9 (and the Ibanez versions, the TS-808, and TS-9) are pretty much considered quintessential OD pedals. They're known to add a touch of smooth, tube-like gain, and also known for a bit of mid hump in it's EQ. They also tend to tighten up the low-end response, especially on amps with loose low-end response. In metal, this can be useful for either tightening up the rhythm tone, or making solos really scream.

The GT-OD is pretty much the same idea, but it has more gain, and IMO, the tone (EQ) knob on it is more useful/versatile. It can be a bit noisy if you abuse the gain knob though, so keep it low! lol (not that you'll need much with a 6505 anyway).

ok sweet cheers. i dont really need that much gain obviously with a 6505:P:
+1 on the od9. I tested an OD808 and OD9 back to back and I could hear a big difference.
My Band: Throat Hammer (Blackened Thrash)

BLACKSTAR* BRIGADE

AMT ARMY- SSG SLAUGHTER

Blackstar HT100 & 4-12-Fulltone O.C.D./AMT P1-Jackson RR24RM (EMG 81 in bridge)-Ibanez RG321/SD Blackouts