Hello,

I have recently bought myself a Marshall jubilee 2x12 combo
The guy who i bought it from said the tubes were about 4 years old.
When i turn it on the amp seems a bit lifeless. and the distortion buzzy.

Is it time to get new tubes?

Thanks
It's new valve time buddy

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Sound just like old tubes. Replace them and the amp will get a new life!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Thanks guys, i dont have any El34's to hand, but i will change out the preamp for some tungsols see what happens then!!
Thanks again
Quote by aonmusic
Thanks guys, i dont have any El34's to hand, but i will change out the preamp for some tungsols see what happens then!!
Thanks again

Get power tubes ASAP. You are probably hearing 1/4 of that amp's potential. That's a damn shame.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
JJ preamp and poweramp tubes. JJ EL34Ls are the best EL34s out there.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
Rule of thumb:

If you think you might need new power tubes, you definitely need new power tubes...
Quote by tubetime86
Get power tubes ASAP. You are probably hearing 1/4 of that amp's potential. That's a damn shame.

Dude i can agree completely. With all the clips on youtube, and all the concert i have seen of Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Jube should sound amazing!!! But so far my superchamp xd sounds better!

Quote by georgakis187
JJ preamp and poweramp tubes. JJ EL34Ls are the best EL34s out there.

I think i will go with the Tung-Sol EL34B. Got the best review from the tubestore.com
And i like that they have a hint of 6L6 character when clean. Because i wont only be using the overdrive tone all the time. This will be my main amp so i need good everything!

HERE Is ths link for the review of all el34 tubes. I buy all my tubes according to the website. I trust the reviewer.

Quote by Rutch
Rule of thumb:

If you think you might need new power tubes, you definitely need new power tubes...

Dude that has got to be the best saying ever. I think they should right this as the 11th commandment in the bible lolz!

I have contacted the seller, and he is giving me back £30 to buy some new tubes. Which is very nice of him!

Will get back to you when i put them in and test things out!

Thanks again for all your replys!
Quote by aonmusic
Thanks again
are you talking about the new sensor tungsol reissues? they don't play well with the cathode follower stages which are present in Marshall amps. keep that in mind, it's usually V2.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 25, 2009,
Quote by al112987
are you talking about the new sensor tungsol reissues? they don't play well with the cathode follower stages which are present in Marshall amps. keep that in mind, it's usually V2.

Yes i am talking about the new tungsols. Erm why dont they play well? Give a lil more information!? What 12ax7's should i be using? Cos they sound pretty good to me?
How would i know if they are not playing well?

Thanks
they die very quickly in that position. i can't really say exactly why, i don't know, but the cathode follower stage has much higher grid and cathode voltages than in your gain stages and it's likely that the tungsols have trouble withstanding those voltages.
Quote by al112987
they die very quickly in that position. i can't really say exactly why, i don't know, but the cathode follower stage has much higher grid and cathode voltages than in your gain stages and it's likely that the tungsols have trouble withstanding those voltages.

Exactly. Tung-Sol themselves says you shouldn't use their tubes in a cathdoe follower stage.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Exactly. Tung-Sol themselves says you shouldn't use their tubes in a cathdoe follower stage.

You guys are stars! I never knew this before!!

So is this the V2 the cathode follower stage?

Is it ok to have a tungsol in V1 ?

Thanks
Quote by aonmusic
You guys are stars! I never knew this before!!

So is this the V2 the cathode follower stage?

Is it ok to have a tungsol in V1 ?

Thanks
Yes, V2 in the SJ. Tungsol in V1 works just fine.
congrats on the jube dude.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
congrats on the jube dude.

Cheers mate, i hope i can enjoy it a lil bit more. Just waiting for new tubes to come in! Then i will rock the **** out!!!! Woop.

Ill post some samples or videos later on.