I'm planning to buy an OD pedal for when I'm purchasing a blackstar ht-5 around xmas time, and also for my school gig next month. next month, I want to be able to use an OD to boost my part during solos and such. However, my school only has an Ibanez TBX30R and a Line 6 Spider 75. Will an OD be ANY use when run through these amps? Remember I still want to sound good, but more importantly I need a volume boost.

How is the bad monkey for the HT-5? I want to buy the bad monkey because I am on a budget. I am open to other suggestions of ODs which cost around the same price as a bad monkey.

THanks
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
The BM will sound great paired with the HT5. Boosting your signal going into a SS amp might cause clipping, which isn't very pleasing to hear.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
My Ampeg sounds like crap with an OD infront of it, I doubt a Spider or Ibanez would be any better. Maybe try getting an EQ?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Might b best to just roll back on the guitar volume for rhythm parts & then just roll it up for the solo parts. Pedals generally dont work with SS amp's
Epi Explorer
Gibson SG special
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange 1x12 Cab
Korg pitchblack
Boss DD-5 delay
MXR 90 phaser
MXR Blue Box
Boss BD-2
Zak Wylde OD
LPB-1 Booster

Music is the source of happiness
Quote by miniscat
Pedals generally dont work with SS amp's

Don't say that. The JC-120 for instance loves pedals modulation and distortion pedals. OD pedals just don't mix well with SS amps.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
So...the only way to give an SS amp some volume boost without making it sound like **** is the volume knob on my guitar?

COuld I just buy an OD and turn the level up to the max, and have pedal gain control rolled down to the minimum to reduce the overdrive effect?
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Last edited by HellBoy9393 at Sep 25, 2009,
Quote by HellBoy9393
So...the only way to give an SS amp some volume boost without making it sound like **** is the volume knob on my guitar?

COuld I just buy an OD and turn the level up to the max, and have pedal gain control rolled down to the minimum to reduce the overdrive effect?

Isn't that what you are supposed to do anyway to get louder? Level on ten and gain on zero?
In any case though an OD doesn't make you louder, it only increases the gain and/or tightens it up.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by HellBoy9393

Still won't work, you can't "boost" a SS amp in that way, certainly not a crappy one like the ones at your disposal. You just get an assload of noise and uncontrollable feedback.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Mark G
In any case though an OD doesn't make you louder, it only increases the gain and/or tightens it up.

So how do I boost my volume without using the volume knob on my guitar or without an OD? When I roll back the volume knob it kills a bit of the gain and that's a problem.

I need to boost my volume during the solos so my solo isn't drowned out by the power chords that the rhythm guitarist is playing. I'm standing far away from the amp and it has no footswitch. =(
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

An od pedal as a boost simply raises the amps input level.
As long as you aren't already pushing a SS amp too hard, or have the gain too high, the od pedal will work fine as a boost.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION