Alright so ive been playing guitar for a while now im not bad at it and i know a little bit about amps but not as much as i know about guitars so im lookin for some help. Theres no need for me to have a half stack because the people i would jam with are all in college and im in high school and my other friend is selling all of his stuff for a car. So right now i have line 6 spider 3 75 watt and its alright but like i think of them as a sampling plate at a restaurant ya kinda get a lil bit of everything with the metal, crunch, blues setting and im lookin for somethin i can plug a couple pedals into so i can get the sounds im lookin for and not have metal on and then turn drive all the way up and realize nothing really happend so ya im playing the national anthem at my schools homecoming game in a couple weeks * thinking of going hendrix style but that might piss a few people off i dont know yet * and i dont know if i should keep my line 6 75 or go and try to find something else the wattage i would want in my new amp could be 60+ watts and then ive been thinking about picking up a metal zone pedal but ya could use your guys input.
Guitars- Ibanez rgx digital snow camo
Amplifiers- Randall 125 watt halfstack ( payed 350 for the stack )
1) what's your budget
2) what style do you plat
3) you don't need more than 50w AT MOST if you're going down the valve route - which from what you describe i think you might be heading down.
4) please don't put a metal-zone pedal in front of a good amp *cries*
5) don't go hendrix style on the anthem - only hendrix can do that, he only pulled it off because the crowd was already hugely in to what he was doing, if you try it and don't have the crowd with you/aren't absolutely fantastic and in full control of the sonic experience you're creating i don't see it pulling off...
Quote by doive
1) what's your budget
2) what style do you plat
3) you don't need more than 50w AT MOST if you're going down the valve route - which from what you describe i think you might be heading down.
4) please don't put a metal-zone pedal in front of a good amp *cries*
5) don't go hendrix style on the anthem - only hendrix can do that, he only pulled it off because the crowd was already hugely in to what he was doing, if you try it and don't have the crowd with you/aren't absolutely fantastic and in full control of the sonic experience you're creating i don't see it pulling off...

1) id like to keep it under 500
2) metal/rock/blues
3)okay
4)alright what would you recommend
5) okay i dont think i have enough acid for everyone anyway
For a newbie to valve amps, take a look at the Orange tiny terror or the Vox night train. Both are great.
Epi Explorer
Gibson SG special
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange 1x12 Cab
Korg pitchblack
Boss DD-5 delay
MXR 90 phaser
MXR Blue Box
Boss BD-2
Zak Wylde OD
LPB-1 Booster

Music is the source of happiness
i'm going to assume you mean $500 = £300. i'm also going to discount marshalls cos from what i hear they are on the expensive side in the us

The amp that UG seems to love is the Peavey valveking. I'm personally not so sure, but one thing i can't argue with is the fact they are VERY reasonably priced. They have decent cleans and quite a lot of gain, making them suitable for metal/rock/blues. I would also add to that the epiphone blues custom. They're pretty hard to find but the one i played sounded pretty tasty, and again it was at an excellent price. You are a little under the price for getting a fender hotrod. If you are willing to go used you may be able to get a used peavey 6505 also - though i have no experience of them. it doesn't sound like you're looking for a XXX or engl type thing, but they're worth trying to see if you like them.

Pedal wise. If you go valve then you should never need a dist. pedal again, OD pedals are really the way to go to get the best sound out of your amp. an OD pedal adds to the natural overdrive of your amp whereas a dist. provides all the dist. from the pedal. Maybe a big muff for a classic rock sound, or a bluesbreaker for a bluesy tone?
Quote by doive
Pedal wise. If you go valve then you should never need a dist. pedal again, OD pedals are really the way to go to get the best sound out of your amp. an OD pedal adds to the natural overdrive of your amp whereas a dist. provides all the dist. from the pedal. Maybe a big muff for a classic rock sound, or a bluesbreaker for a bluesy tone?

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement

On the amps side of things maybe also look into the Peavey Classic 30 and an OD pedal. I'm not sure of exact price since you're $ and I'm £.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by doive
i'm going to assume you mean $500 = £300. i'm also going to discount marshalls cos from what i hear they are on the expensive side in the us

The amp that UG seems to love is the Peavey valveking. I'm personally not so sure, but one thing i can't argue with is the fact they are VERY reasonably priced. They have decent cleans and quite a lot of gain, making them suitable for metal/rock/blues. I would also add to that the epiphone blues custom. They're pretty hard to find but the one i played sounded pretty tasty, and again it was at an excellent price. You are a little under the price for getting a fender hotrod. If you are willing to go used you may be able to get a used peavey 6505 also - though i have no experience of them. it doesn't sound like you're looking for a XXX or engl type thing, but they're worth trying to see if you like them.

wat
Quote by doive

You won't get a Peavey 6505 for $500 (possibly the new 60 watt editions). And Maybe £500, if that's the currency we're talking about? The same applies to the Triple XXX.
TS, what country are you in?

The Peavey Valveking is a decent amp. Nothing special, but can be modified with pedals, speaker swaps, valve alterations/biasing, etc. very easily. It then turns into a really solid piece of kit, particularly for the money.

I don't agree with the "as soon as you get a valve amp, a distortion pedal should never be bought". When else would you buy one?
Stick a Keeley modified DS-1 in front of a Matamp 1224 MkII, you'll get some searing harmonics and tones. Really grungy, but powerful.

Assuming that the style of music you play is literally marching band music, something like a Peavey Classic 30 is perfect. Ebay or Craigslist will most likely be your best bet at finding one for under your budget. Same applies to a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, as already mentioned.
A Vox AD100VT is also worth it.
B-52 AT-112
Peavey Windsor Studio
Randall RG 50 TC
Line 6 Spider Valve 112
ENGL Thunder (maybe you could find one on the used market within $500)
Laney LC30 (you'd have to go used)
That Epiphone Blues Custom looks pretty sweet. I haven't tried it, though.
The new bugera V22 could be worth it.
Line 6 Flextone III
Kustom Defender
Hughes&Kettner Edition Tube 25th (I have only heard clips of this. Seems quite good)
Ampeg J-20 (that will definitely go your budget, but is totally worth the stretch, imo)

Research those amps.
how about a peavy bandit 80watt my buddy has one of them he would sell me cheap
The Bandit is a decent amp. Anything over $125 is not cheap. Hopefully that includes the F/S.
It does include the footswitch and he only wants one of the cheap double bass pedals for it so for like 120 bucks i would have that but I'm starting to think about keeping my line 6 but is it dumb for me to buy pedals for it?
Yes it's dumb to buy pedals for the Spider. The Bandit will handle pedals much better. Plus IIRC it has an FX loop.
ya i thought it would kinda be pointless but alright thanks guys