I know many people mod their amps and their effects.
Questions is,is it possible to mod your pickups?
I mean,make them midier/bassy/trebley,more output?
Is it possible to make a p-90 pickups humbucking?
I mean, can i get a pickup and use it with an Epi goldtop stock bridge pickup,and use it's electronics together with the stock pickup to make it humbucking or increase it's output?
Another questions,kinda unrealted,is the Seymour duncan vintage and hot soapbar pickups humbucking? Cause i saw on their site that that hot soapbar was good for metal,but i dont see how would it be good for metal with the hum?
yes it is possible to modify pickups. you need to re-wind the wire.
this will change the output
you cannot make a p90 into a humbucking pickup. you need 2 coils to make a humbucker, whether they are stacked or side by side, or two seperate pickups. there's a reason, however that very few people modify their own pickups.
to sum up the previous 2 posters in my own words:

Yea you can mod pickups, you can mod anything really, just don't. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you will make them far worse.
Last edited by theGlitch at Sep 25, 2009,
Quote by theGlitch
to sum up the previous 2 posters in my own words:

Yea you can mod pickups, you can mod anything really, just don't. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you will make them far worse.

Exactly, just switch out your pickups if you're looking for something of higher output. Get some EMGs or some other active pickup for best high output, but make sure your guitar is capable of handling that ****, you wouldn't throw 160 dollars worth of Seymour Duncans into a squire strat for instance.
Welcome To Chicago Motherfu|<er
Yes its very possible to mod a number of aspects of pickups.

Things you can mod include:
1. Type of magnet - alnico (II, III, IV, V), ceramic, neodymium.
2. Length of the magnet
3. polished vs unsanded
4. Strength of the magnet
5. Length of pole bobbin
6. Material of pole bobbin
7. Height of the pole bobbin (this is a simple adjustment)
8. Covered vs uncovered pickups (covered pickups lose some high end response)
9. Thickness of the hookup wires
10. Windings of the wires around the magnetic poles
11. Type and thickness of the wires used to wind around the magnetic poles

However, the chances are that you probably not know how your changes impact your tone at all. There are simply too many variable that will impact the characteristics of your pickup that a small change can lead to a massive difference.

I'd recommend that you do not consider modding your own pickup, cuz you'd probably end up destroying it.

Take a look at WCR pickups, their pickups are constructed in such a way that you can snap apart some components of the pickups to make your own changes.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 25, 2009,