I just wanted to get some opinions on this. Last year, my band decided we needed a demo CD to give out. We went to a place called Overthrow Records and recorded one. When it was done we were happy with it. It sounded decent enough to give out and get some gigs.....or so we thought. Nowadays, it's so hard to get ourselves a gig and just don't understand why. I've given our CD to many places that have bands every weekend and none have called back, even after we bother them day after day.

Even gigs we advertise the hell out of turn into flops, such as the one we had last Saturday. The only people that showed up were a couple of family members and about 8 of my friends. I gave my friend Justin a CD that night and the next day he told me "you're right....it doesn't sound as good as it should. It's good, but it really just doesn't do you guys any justice."

The CD itself is like I said, okay. We only spent about 3-4 days on it. First day we did drum tracks. Second day we did bass and guitar. Third day we did vocals. And the fourth day was only about a 2 hour session to fix a few vocals and make it sound a little better with EQing and producing.

I want you all to go to our site and have a listen and tell me what you think. Cuz if it isn't good enough to get a gig we need to start recording a GOOD cd with my stuff immediately. I will accept all criticism haha

www.myspace.com/jwpband
So of the solos are bit sloppy, and the overal production is pretty demoish. That's the problem, you guys need to step it up a bit I think. They're good songs and it sounds like you're good musicians, it's just the production lets you down a bit, sounds like you've just plugged into a 8 track and let loose
could be mixed better
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
The mix is your issue, not the songs. The Vocals are not loud enough and you can hear virtually no bass, the drums and the guitar are eating everything

EDIT: also make sure you guys record with a click, there are a couple of parts that seem a bit off.
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Last edited by NnjRik at Sep 25, 2009,
It needs mixing better, but it wasn't that bad. If you're professional in a studio, people will want you to play.

As for crappy turnouts, maybe you need to look into how you're advertising, not where.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

well your actual playing is great and this comes across in the recordings. Good for a demo
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Just a really quick summary from a mixing standpoint:

- Bring out the low end of the drums a little more

- The bass is clear, but sort of, again, leaves the low end of the mix lacking

- Raise the vocals a little bit, just a few decibels

- Sharpen the guitar tone a little bit

Sorry, just wanted to point out a few things that you may have been wondering about Those are the only negative aspects, and they seem to be all pretty fixable.

Anyways, all of that aside, you guys sound great! I really dig the tunes a lot. The singer has a nice tone to his voice that seems to blend well with the style of the music you're going for.

If you don't care/can't fix those things that i mentioned, then don't worry. It's great quality for a demo, that's for sure. Definitly ear-friendly. I only mentioned things that would improve the mix.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Ok so far its about half and half with the comments. To me it seems that since you guys are actually musicians that you can tell that we didn't spend too much time in the studio (ie, sloppy solos, guitar not dialed in completely, etc). My guitar tone has greatly improved since we did the CD so that'd probably would be okay now.

As for the one comment about advertising, here's what we always do:
1. Set up the gig
2. Make a flier
3. Make an event on Facebook and invite everyone
4. Make an event on Myspace and invite everyone
5. Make bulletins, posts, etc on both Facebook and Myspace everyday
6. Hang and distribute fliers all over town and on my college campus and to everyone I see
7. Play at local open mic and advertise there
8. Few days before the show I text and remind everyone I know about it

Other than that, I really have NO IDEA what else to do. We used to attract like anywhere from 50-80 people and that was when we first started out. Now that we're really tight, I dunno why we can't get a good crowd.

We could go back to the studio and have him re-mix it and stuff, but I think it still wouldn't sound as good as we want it to. We'll probably just record it with my stuff since I have a lot of recording equipment now. But keep the comments coming!!!
[First off, let me state up front that I've never played or tried to organise a live gig, and don't even get out to as many live shows as I'd like, so nothing I say here is in any way authoritative. I'm throwing out some thoughts that come to mind, but I'll leave it to others with actual experience to judge their merit or lack of.]

If it's been a year since you recorded the demo, would it be correct to assume you've written new material since then? It might be worth recording a fresh demo with new songs rather than re-mixing the old recordings or re-recording the older material. Maybe the places you're dropping demo discs off are recognising them from last time and wondering why you don't have new material?

Another one that occurs to me is that it might just be the live music scene is retracting a little in the light of all the recession shenanigans going on at the moment. Punters might be staying home more often and spending less when they do go out; venues might be less willing to take a chance on unknown original bands, preferring to go with "safer" bigger names that will pull a larger crowd, and/or no-name top 40 covers bands that might cost less to hire, etc. No idea what your scene is like, I guess you could chat with other local bands and see if their experience parallels yours?