I'm thinking of buying the Jimmy Page Dragon telecaster

http://www.thepaintedplayer.co.uk/guitars_and_pricing.html

I was thinking of going for the one at £299 (the TPP one) I really want one of the Jimmy Page dragon telecasters, and I'd just like to ask, would you advise this, or do you expect it will be a crappy sound and build quality, that just looks nice?

Thanks, and also if anyone has had any experience with these Painted player guitars, please share it!
You're basically buying a Squier Tele with a dope paintjob. Sooo yeah, you get what you pay for. I think the Lite Ash would be worth the couple extra hundreds.

BTW, that George Harrison Rocky Strat is fuckin' sicko.
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
Last edited by GNiCk89 at Sep 25, 2009,
You may as well pay more money for a better quality one, all you'd be getting is a crappy Tele copy with a nice paintjob.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Hmm ok, but the thing is to buy the 299 one is already stretching my budget, so there's no way I could get the Fender Lite ash one (as much as I'd like to.) Can't be that bad can it? Squiers are supposed to have gotten better haven't they?

Is the 299 quid one a Squier? It just says a TPP telecaster?
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Hmm ok, but the thing is to buy the 299 one is already stretching my budget, so there's no way I could get the Fender Lite ash one (as much as I'd like to.) Can't be that bad can it? Squiers are supposed to have gotten better haven't they?

Is the 299 quid one a Squier? It just says a TPP telecaster?

Well, you're basically paying for the paint job here. Just save up and get a better quality one, it would be so much more worth having a guitar that plays as good as it looks. Buying a cheap one would just sit there and be eye candy really.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I would just buy one or two of the cheap ones to hang on my wall in my rec room.
Like The Fool SG and Jimi's painted V.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I'd rather have a Fender MIM tele w/ Don Mare that sound's closer to Page's than a cheap tele w/ a fancy paint job that might look closer to Page's.
If you're getting one of those.. get the Tokai. It's the best one there under 1000..
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
some of those look pretty cool. have no idea how good or bad they might be though.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
That's site's awesome! I like how you can choose the different models they're painted from.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I would hold someone ransom for this.
Attachments:
ib_p002_0_9.jpg
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Nice site. I'm interested in the Jimi Flying V....
A good song should make you wanna tap your foot and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I'm only interested in writing great songs.
Ok, so I emailed the site about the tele. They said it's an alder body, but didn't mention too much about the pickups and other stuff. Even so, could I not just buy the TPP £299 tele, and then over time improve it, changing pickups, etc, as and when I get the cash? Would it be possible to improve it to the standard (or near enough) of a Fender tele?

Thanks
Why not just buy the Telecaster of your choice and then get it painted. You must know someone who does art. It's not the most complex bit of artwork. I asked a friend who was into his art about this sort of thing (i like the Hendrix painted Strats) and he said just get some enamel paint and it would be a piece of piss.

You would be saving yourself some money and will have good guitar + awesome paintjob
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Ok, so I emailed the site about the tele. They said it's an alder body, but didn't mention too much about the pickups and other stuff. Even so, could I not just buy the TPP £299 tele, and then over time improve it, changing pickups, etc, as and when I get the cash? Would it be possible to improve it to the standard (or near enough) of a Fender tele?

Thanks

Well, again to be honest, it would just be so much more worth buying the Fender, and then you'll have a better made instrument that'll be a lot more worht modding. It'll be a cheap grade of alder that they're using, and by the amount of money you'll put into it changing all the hardware to decent stuff, it'll cost the same as the Fender anyway!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Hmm...Ok, I'm back, and I really would love to get the Fender special edition ash, but it's just completely out of my price range.

Surely if I had a really good amp to go with it, and it had been newly fitted with Fender pickups it would sound as good? C'mon is there no way I could reason buying it instead of the Fender and making it good?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Hmm...Ok, I'm back, and I really would love to get the Fender special edition ash, but it's just completely out of my price range.

Surely if I had a really good amp to go with it, and it had been newly fitted with Fender pickups it would sound as good? C'mon is there no way I could reason buying it instead of the Fender and making it good?

Your Yamaha Pacifica is probably of better quality. You shouldn't worry about the looks of a guitar, so much as the build quality, sound, and playability. I'd get one of these:

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303025507

And then mod it. I'm sure you know someone who can do enamel paint on a guitar.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Hey dude,
I have purchased a couple of these painted player guitars now, a jimmy page mex dragon, and a George harrison rocky mex strat, they both play fantastic, and the artwork is superb. A friend of mine bought the TPP Hendrix montery strat and it is an excellent guitar, i think the build quality is equal to a mex no problem and the artwork on his as brilliant. I am saving up for the Cream fool SG next, the guys at TPP are really helpfull, i would recommend them any day, great to have someone doing these guitars at a respectable price, and with great build quality.