hey guys im just curious would you be looked down upon if you choose to finger pick as ooposed to using a pick to play
well i was just thinking if i should learn to use a pick since i have a nylon string and it isn't necessary in my opinion because i learned to finger pick when i just started playing guitar a year ago and find it easy to do so and started to wonder if im limiting my self by finger picking and playing nylon string and everyone i know who plays guitar have steel string
It's not frowned upon, but using only finger picking limits the techniques and songs you can learn! I would suggest learning to use a pick in addition to finger picking, you will have many more songs at your disposal, and can do some cool techniques for some songs.
1950s Classic Player's Series Fender Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider II
ESP F-50
Fender Acoustic
Crybaby-Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
In the beginning I was all about the finger picking, but then I was messing with other things that made picking with a pick more sense, so I picked up a pick and started doing it that way. For instance, I was doing scales with finger picking, but then I switched to a pick and I can do them much more efficiently. It's like exercising to me, if you find other tools in your box to use to get you to your goal then go for it. Who cares if it's vinyl, steel, or electric, just do what you need to do to get the result that you want.
Do everything you can. So far, I've gotten good at using a pick and playing fingerstyle. I can also play well while holding the guitar in both the classical position as well as the typical right-leg position. And I'm teaching myself to hybrid pick right now, which is coming along great. Thumbpick comes next. The more versatile you are, the better you'll be.

And to answer your question, anyone that has the nerve to tell you you "should be using a pick" can go **** themselves.
I think you should pick a style and stick with it. I chose fingerpicking because of the the possibiltys that come with it. And its just awesome.
If YOU'RE playing music YOU enjoy that sounds good to YOU, why does it matter how you create it?
P.S. You may want to consider shaping your nails like a classical player and taking a daily multivitamin (for nail strength and general health)
P.S.S. I use my fingers near exclusively and do not ever feel limited.
Quote by BrownsBlues
If YOU'RE playing music YOU enjoy that sounds good to YOU, why does it matter how you create it?
P.S. You may want to consider shaping your nails like a classical player and taking a daily multivitamin (for nail strength and general health)
P.S.S. I use my fingers near exclusively and do not ever feel limited.

Essentially this. If you enjoy playing with your fingers, than by all means, keep playing with your fingers (and yes, I do believe that nails help tremendously). If you think you should start learning with a pick, pick (PUN!) one up and give it a shot.

However, it is very good to be able to use both your fingers and a pick. It's good to be versatile.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!