Just out of pure interest, are MXR pedals, specifically the Distortion+, based on analog circuits?
yesseree.

except the distortions by mxr sound like puke. the phase 90 and the carbon copy are some of my favourite analogue pedals actually.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

well ive never tried an older model, shops dont have them in aorund here.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

yes they are analog, and yes the new distortions sound like crap.

If you are able to find an old MXR Distortion+, definitely get that.
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by Silver-spear94
yesseree.

except the distortions by mxr sound like puke. the phase 90 and the carbon copy are some of my favourite analogue pedals actually.

I dunno, i liked the Distortion III and their overdrives. they make good fuzzes, too (Blue Box FTMFW)
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Oh, right. Thanks! Do they sound like puke from a distortion point of view, or do they sound TOO much like an overdrive? From what I've heard, they seem like they are more like an overdrive than a metallic distortion and that's what turned me on to them.

And nightraven, how 'old' is old? Do you mean the standard Distortion+ line or a vintage model?
Definitely NOT looking for brutal metal tones. In a perfect world I'd be looking at a Tubescreamer, but I can't afford one. I kind of liked the Boss Super Overdrive, but it was a little bland... Do you know how a Dist+ would compare to a Boss? It can't be THAT puke can it?
dist three or old +...+1 to everyone
Gear:
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
Standard Tele
Ltd EC-400
Boss Super Chorus
Cry Baby
15" MacBook Pro
Akai MPD 24