OK, so I'll be having a new amp soon, like very soon.

However, the amp is a US amp, which runs on 110V - 120V.

In contrast, Malaysia's electrical supply is 230V - 240V.

I know I need a step-down transformer before I can get my amp working.

Question is... my new amp is a 100watt tube amp. Does that mean that the wattage rating of the amp is 100 watts or is there some like formula I'll have to plonk it through to get the correct current draw of the amp?

I was told that I'll need to get a step-down transformer that is at least double the wattage rating of the amp. However, the amp does not have any technical specs anywhere on the web and the manual does not state its wattage draw either.

So can anyone help me, does the 100 watt amp have a current draw of 100 watts, or is there some formula I'll have to plonk the numbers through?

Thanks lots everyone.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
What model is the amp?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Mesa Mark V.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
logically u should just get a transformer, cos i live in lebanon (220V)and all my stuff is from the states (110V) so i just use transformers. regular ones work for everything, computers, tv, vacuum, except for washing machines and dryers, we got a big 1 for that
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
The 100w is its output rating. The power draw will be on the back panel, will give you the voltage and amps or watts. Your gonna need a decent size transformer dont go cheap get a good one to prevent problems later down the road. Another solution is to get the amp converted by getting a different PT for the amp, some amps the PTs will work with other voltages you might just need to change some connections on the PT. Might need to send an email to the amp company.
Yes I already stated I need a transformer. What I don't know is... what size and specs. Do I just check the wattage rating or will I need to match the amperage or provide more amperage than specified? If so, how do I get the details I'll need?

Yeah I checked the the voltage is supposed to be 110V - 120V, where as the amp is 4.

I've checked out a few electrical formula calculators and it indicates that the wattage draw should be 480 watts. Is that correct or am I doing something wrong with the formula?

But isn't a draw of 4 amperes a little low?

I was just thinking if all else fails I might as well get a 1000 watt step-down transformer... surely an amp can't be drawing a whole kilowatt.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 25, 2009,
Amps x Volts = Watts

120 x 4 = 480 Watts. About normal for a 100w tube amp.

230 x 2 = 460 watts in your country.

A 230 volt, 3 amp / 690 watt or better inverter or transformer would fit you well.
I was talking about the internal power trans vs an external step down. Some amps come with a PT that can be used with different voltages depending on how its wired. Its worth an email to the amp manufacturer to find out. I know my epi vjr you swap some wires and it will run in europe with its higher voltage or in america.
Quote by Tackleberry
I was talking about the internal power trans vs an external step down. Some amps come with a PT that can be used with different voltages depending on how its wired. Its worth an email to the amp manufacturer to find out. I know my epi vjr you swap some wires and it will run in europe with its higher voltage or in america.

I'm not even willing to open up my Mesa after the battle I had to go through to get it, much less consider modding it.

Thanks for the option though, I'll check in with them, though with how complex the Mk V is, I seriously doubt that is an option. The MK isn't exactly your single channel, point to point wiring amp.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )