Hey.

My Epiphone Les Paul Custom is driving me totally crazy. It was setup at a reputable guitar store by the instore tech and after about a week I noticed a very audible buzz at the 4th fret of the D string playing through amplification.

I checked for dead notes and buzzes else where in every position but found no problems.

I've set the action to Gibson/Epiphone standards, i've made truss rod adjustments to give a clearance in regions of 0.10 to 0.15 inches but the buzz is still there.

Obviously I face taking it to a tech but what kind of problems do you think the guitar is facing ? I'm lost for ideas and I don't want the tech saying its something complicated and charging more than necessary when it could be something very simple that could be remedied cheaply.
It is only on the 4th fret of the D string? Absolutely no where else?
Check to see if there is visible fretwear. It's possible that you may need a re-fret, but I doubt it.
It was set up at a reputable guitar store by the instore tech and after a week it starts buzzing and instead of taking it back to the shop you start making adjustments yourself with no change and you haven't contacted the store at all?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
a guitar needs a week to settle down properly after a full setup and a 1 note buzz indicates it a problem at that fret - fret has a high spot.

sorry for the bad grammar today but i`m not well
its only in that position yeah, its pretty much a brand new guitar man, fret wear shouldn't be an issue, i've hardly played it
Epiphones are known for having not only weak and very wearable frets, but for having bad fretting quality.
If you look at that fret is it slightly raised out of position? All you need to do MAY be just to hammer the fret it. It might have popped out of its pocket.
it the frets all look normal to me, when you fret the 4th fret on the D it becomes obvious the rattle stems from the 5th fret as the string is almost fretted at the 5th although the 4th is actually fretted, if that makes sense !
This is one reason I never took my guitar to a tech for setup. I always do it myself
Not that I think they do a bad job, I'm sure 99% do a great job.

The problem is that there are so many factors effecting your guitar's setup that are outside of your control. And also outside of the guitar tech's control.

Things like Neck Relief and string tension are HIGHLY effected by the weather (temp and humidity).

Therefor your guitar's setup should be done on an AS NEEDED basis.
Just because you got it back last week from the tech and it was fine. But then a week later something is off, that does not mean the tech did a poor job.

Your guitar needs CONSTANT attention to the little details.
A once in a while setup is just not good enough.
You can't have a setup done and expect it to remain perfect for weeks or months.

If your getting fret buzz, check your neck relief and adjust the action. Period.

I believe it is CRUCIAL for any guitarist to know how to setup their own guitars.

Now, I agree that if the buzz is happening on only 1 string and only 1 fret, then it's likely that either that fret has some wear (string being pressed down farther at that fret than at others). OR, one of the frets beyond that fret is too high.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 25, 2009,
@ jonmo: u dont say ! did you read my post ? if i were so incompetant would I be able to set my action and adjust my truss rod to factory standards ? read before you post chief, my problems is I set my guitar up properly and I've got one single fret buzz, I know how to set guitars up man, its pretty easy, lol.
the guitar was put in for a major pickup change, pots changed, actives installed, and hence the reason I wanted the tech to set it up at the time. The buzz could have been apparent when i tested it instore but i never noticed till i was recording later on.

So instead of travelling 30 miles to remedy what i thought was a simple truss adjustment due to transporting the guitar, I attempted the sort it, but no adjustments were necesssary, hence the reason I reverted to factory standards and the issue hasnt remedied.
Quote by scott316
@ jonmo: u dont say ! did you read my post ? if i were so incompetant would I be able to set my action and adjust my truss rod to factory standards ? read before you post chief, my problems is I set my guitar up properly and I've got one single fret buzz, I know how to set guitars up man, its pretty easy, lol.

Nowhere in my post did I say that I did not think you knew how to setup your guitar.

I said "I believe it is crucial for all guitarists to know how to setup thier own guitars"
That's a general statement and was not directed at you specifically.

That was meant to support my statement that I never take my guiatars to someone else to setup, because it can go right back out within days due to all kinds of environmental factors.
And it is not an indacation that the guitar tech did a bad job.

You'll notice at the end of the post that I suggested it's likely fretwear on that one fret, or other frets beyond that one are too high. This would indicate that I don't believe you are incapable of a proper setup. Fretting a guitar is outside the scope of your standard guitar setup.

Also, factory specs for action/string hieght are a mere recommendation. Your manuall will proably say something along the lines of "Adjust the string height to your preference".

So if putting the action at factory recommended height, and you still have fret buzz, that does not necesarily mean there is a problem with the guitar. In this case it might, because it happens at only 1 fret. Again, fretwear or other frets too high.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 25, 2009,