So im gonna be purchasing a tradition s20 today. I might be back later with pics! It plays very nice, although the rosewood fretboard is pretty light, not dark like rosewood normally is. I was wondering what i can do to the fretboard to improve playability. i've read that rosewood doesn't necessarily need to be oiled, but would oiling it darken the wood at all and improve the playability or would it not be worth it? This is basically my project guitar so i want to make it play awesome.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
It will darken the wood . . . idk about improved playability. I oil my rosewood fretboards twice a year to keep the wood from drying out. That may be a little excessive though.
what kind of things can I do to my fretboard then to improve playability?
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
You shouldn't have to do anything. When you play you shouldn't be touching the fretboard unless your doing a massive bend or vibrato.
Oiling the fretboard will make it more smooth though, which can help with those things.
wait wait? not touching the fretboard?
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
If your fingers actually touch the fretboard when playing one note it means you're playing with too much effort, and you'll be bending the note out of tune.
...if i don't touch the fretboard when i fret a note it isn't going to come out...? am i missing something here haha
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
wait wait? not touching the fretboard?

no, your fingers against the strings, strings against the frets, not the fretboard. if you're touching the fretboard then you're probably bending the note out of pitch. for guitar care i would say get a cotton cloth and wipe down the strings and frets and everything else metal that you've touched when you're done playing to keep it from rusting because of oil from your skin. Keep it in tune, keep it in a room temperature area and dont leave it subject to extreme temperature changes, dont smack it around (obviously) and just make sure you're good to it.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
oh ok i see what you are saying. still moving around the strings must be related to how well made the fretboard is. i would assume if its oiled it would play faster and smoother
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
oh ok i see what you are saying. still moving around the strings must be related to how well made the fretboard is. i would assume if its oiled it would play faster and smoother

not really, it just makes it look better and keep its quality for longer. the fretboard really has nothing to do with playability (unless its warped or messed up somehow), but it really doesn't effect anything except tone if its made well

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
so does anything else affect playability aside from neck radius and action?
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Neck dimensions, finish, construction, nut width, radius, and fret size all affect playability. Action can be adjusted based on those things.